2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 11:49 PM by teruksor

Linux Blank screen after driver installation

brettcarr2412

Hi everyone, Im running Centos 7, after every attempt to install the drivers for my ATI Radeon r7 370 graphics cards it come up with a blank screen at boot.. "Meaning after everything is loaded and i should be seeing a log on screen, buts its Black, but i can see the cursor. here are some details about my system and the errors i get. Im really hoping some one will help, i'm so frustrated.

16 gig Ram

AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor × 6

OS type: 64-bit

Here is what i did to try install it.

sudo rpm -Uh --force fglrx64_p_i_c-15.302-1.x86_64_rhel7_64a.rpm

################################# [100%]

Updating / installing...

################################# [100%]

/usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-populate-initrd: line 233: dfatal: command not found

/usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-populate-initrd: line 234: dfatal: command not found

/usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-populate-initrd: line 235: dfatal: command not found

/usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-populate-initrd: line 236: dfatal: command not found

[brett@badbox Downloads]$ fglrxconfig

bash: fglrxconfig: command not found...

[brett@badbox Downloads]$ ati

aticonfig            atigetsysteminfo.sh  atiode

atieventsd           atiodcli            

[brett@badbox Downloads]$ aticonfig --initial

Uninitialised file found, configuring.

Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-5

aticonfig: Writing to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' failed. Permission denied.

[brett@badbox Downloads]$ sudo aticonfig --initial

Uninitialised file found, configuring.

Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-5

[brett@badbox Downloads]$ fglrxinfo

display: :0  screen: 0

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.1)

OpenGL version string: 1.4 (3.0 Mesa 11.2.2)

• Re: Linux Blank screen after driver installation
          redfury

I don't see any Centos drivers for your GPU. I think there are no Centos drivers compatible with your GPU. And your problem is exactly because of it

Radeon™ R7 300, R9 295X2, R9 280X, R9 280, R9 270X, R9 270, R7 265, R7 250X, R7 250, R7 240, HD 8500 - HD 8900, and HD 7700 – HD 7900 Series

• Re: Linux Blank screen after driver installation
            teruksor

I don't know if you could solve your problem already, but I had this same issue with Crimson 15.12 on Scientific Linux 7.3, it worked fine since 7.1 but with that last update I had troubles. I have an APU R7 250 and then I noticed that AMD had updated the drivers and now my system uses AMDGPU-PRO I installed it and worked everything fine. Sadly your GPU still uses Crimson on this page Linux Download Center but keep an eye on it, because I think the drivers for my system were updated just this week so hopefully you can get yours soon.

Alternatively if you still use Centos 7.2 or lower, what I did before was not to use the RHEL rpm, but download the generic Linux driver, run it and generate the rpm with it, I'm not sure if that's what you did but that helped be in the past.