7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2017 9:45 AM by rebelyell

a program brakes my gpu clock speed

varmoz

Hello, so i got  sapphire 280X gpu clocked to 1115MHz and  there is program that's called Wallpaper Engine (it changes the desktop with live wallpapers,gifs or videos.) this program brakes the clock speed to 850MHz i tried to reinstall the drivers but it did not worked so i contacted their support at the end they said its driver issue and couldn't do much about it.

the clocks stays on 850MHz even if i exit the program completely, my fps in game is not that good because of that . if i restart the pc and wallpaper engine is not running everything is fine and normal.

im running this on win10

• Re: a program brakes my gpu clock speed
          crazyserb

From what I could read on steam store page, Wallpaper Engine makes use of hw acceleration.

Hw acceleration is bugged on 1st gen GCN cards with driver newer than 16.7.2 drivers. Do not expect fix because AMD does not know that bug exists even with countless reports.

redfury

It is a very bad idea to play games and have another application which is running in background and uses HW acceleration

I am sure that AMD will not consider such inappropriate use of GPU and you will have no special fix in future drivers for this issue

Anyway you can Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5

varmoz

the program has options to stop (or pause) itself completely  when playing a game or doing anything else. it stops but the clocks remain broken

redfury

If it is a driver bug, you may try some previous drivers Previous  i suggest you to try only WHQL driver versions.

crazyserb

@redfury, please, read what is written first, my native language is not English but I think it is understandable.

The old bug that affected AMD cards for years is not the same as new one for GCN 1 cards. The old bug is maybe not even a bug, but it is there rather for stability purposes, UVD clocks instead of 3d clocks while hw acceleration is used in background and that is even understandable

I am talking about issue with drivers newer than 16.7.2 on GCN1 cards. Once your GPU uses hw acceleration, it gets stuck in UVD clocks until you restart GPU driver. That means no 3d/oc clocks and no idle 300/150 MHz clocks. Since even games can use hw acceleration these days for videos, restarting drivers is not always an option. On top of that, it is annoying to restart driver after every single use of hw acceleration.

AMD simply does not want to address this issue. This is the reason why AMD staff still recommends newer drivers than 16.7.2 to people with GCN 1 cards.

I do not regret buying 270x, but I will not buy AMD GPU ever again since I dont wanna buy products without support when there are products with actual support. The worst part is, the issue is made by AMD and now they act like it does not exist.

@varmoz, install 16.7.2 (non-whql version works, whql should work normally I guess) and see if problem still exists, but I doubt it will since I could see same thing happening on 6 different GCN1 cards. If you cant find driver on AMD site, I think that downloads on guru3d/techpowerup should work.

rebelyell

vormoz has the right answer, just go into the settings and set it to pause anytime an application is running .. problem solved. i use wall paper and they update to fix issues .