2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 3:25 AM by xrayxray

A10-7870  Crimson Relive 15.302 driver update black screen...where do I go for help

xrayxray

I have posted my problems with the driver update back on 10/12 and asked again on 03/01, no response in forums...Drivers and Software.

What is the next step in getting help from AMD for this problem ?

Basically I use driver update search...recommends 15.302 and when installed I get black screen...my OS is Linux Mint 18....have tried numerous times...I then have to remove driver etc but then I believe I dont get the R7 graphics  I just get the standard CPU graphics....any way point is my APU doesn't work with the recommended driver.

Is there another section in AMD I can report this issue.

Cheers.

• Re: A10-7870  Crimson Relive 15.302 driver update black screen...where do I go for help
          amdmatt

Linux Mint is not a supported distribution, so our drivers may not work as intended.

Have you tried following the Installer Instructions here? > http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/amd-catalyst-graphics-driver-installer-notes-for-linux-operating-systems.pdf

If you continue to experience issues, i would recommend using a supported distribution, or using Open Source drivers available here > RadeonFeature

Distributions supported:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux Suite 7.2, 7.1, 7.0, 6.7, 6.6, 6.5
          • Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, 14.04.2, 14.04.3, 15.04, 15.10
          • SUSE® Linux Enterprise 11 SP3, 12
          • OpenSuSE 13.1
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: A10-7870  Crimson Relive 15.302 driver update black screen...where do I go for help
              xrayxray

Thanks Matt for your suggestions,

In my confusion I presumed all Linux distributions were covered by the driver....my mistake.

So far I installed OpenSuSe 13.1 but when I installed the driver I got a black screen

Then I tried ubuntu 15.10 instead...got black screen with flashing white dash top left corner, uninstalled both of them and went back to mint.

I then turned my attention to opensorce Radeon...got something called Xorg and spent hours googling trying to find out how to install the drivers through Xorg....I was totally lost...could not download...couldn't find any guides I could follow...in the end I set all of this aside...however I found a little script I pasted into Terminal and got a message Xorg Radeon ATI driver already installed....bummer spent hours doing all of this and then I find a Radeon Driver was installed ....wasn't by me...I think.

Anyway I just find so much difficulty in doing these things could AMD workout a way of doing easy install of there drivers across all Distros...after all it is reported many people are installing Linux Distros as an alternative to Win 10 and Mint is the most popular at the moment.

Was hoping to upgrade to Ryzen and Vega later this year but still want to use Linux...seems Amd caters more for Windows and Mac.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Cheers.