3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 11:34 AM by redfury

Crossfire rx 480 won't display more than 30 hertz

ellevix

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a second sapphire rx 480 GTR 8gb to match the existing one I have. With one graphics card I was running 3440 x 1440 @ 75hz with freesync active in windows 10 into an LG 34UC98-W monitor with their supplied display port cable. I was having no issues at all with this combination.

After installing the second rx 480 into the system the only refresh rate option I have available in windows 10 under the Monitor Settings in 30 hertz (picture attached).

I have tried the following but nothing has helped to bring back the 60hz or 75hz options
      - Uninstalled the AMD drivers completely and reinstalled them,
      - Plugged display cable into the second graphics card instead of the first,

- I have checked all the settings in the Crimson software and cannot see anything that would be disabling the other refresh rates,
      - Checked that freesync is still activated in the monitor settings,

- Checked Freesync and crossfire are both active in the AMD Crimson software,
      - I am using the latest drivers (16.12.2).

If I pull the display port cable out of the top graphics card and plug it back in a windows 10 error window appears stating:
      "The system has reported a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate. Your display might not support the requested resolution or there is....".
      From what I have read this error normally occurs due to a poor quality display port cable or older version (not v1.2) cable. I am using the cable supplied by LG. The weird thing is that it works perfectly with one graphics card but once the second is installed the problem occurs.

Does anyone have any suggestions to resolve the issue?

All help is greatly appreciated. Cam

• Re: Crossfire rx 480 won't display more than 30 hertz
          redfury

I suggest you to uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5 driver

And try to disable 10bit color (Deep Color) in inner menu of your monitor

ellevix

Hello redfury,
              Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

A bit of an update:
              I have now managed to get other options available for the refresh rate. I tried completely uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling a number of times, including older versions, with no success.
              I did some more reading on the internet and came across a program called CRU (v1.3). I used it to delete all the display profiles which must be saved in the registry, rebooted and I then had 30hz and 60hz available. I then used the AMD software to enable an additional refresh rate of 75hz.

However, the issue I am now having is the performance of the 2 x rx 480 in crossfire in nothing short of appalling.
              I have tested crossfire in a number of applications, some of which is doesn't work at all, some of which has barely any performance gain, and in Battlefield 1 the performance actually decreases compared to a single card.

Crossfire isn't yet supported in Directx 12 for Battlefield 1 so in order to use crossfire you have to use directx 11. However the performance of a single card in directx 12 is better than crossfire in directx 11.

System:

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K overclocked to 4.5ghz (100% stable)
              Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h
              Memory: 16gb 2133ghz
              Primary HD: Samsung 850evo - 250gb
              Graphics Card: 2 x Sapphire rx 480 GTR 8gb - Crossfire
              Monitor: LG 34UC98-W
              Resolution: 3440 x 1440 @ 75hz
              AMD driver version: 16.12.2

Battlefield 1:
              Single rx 480
              Directx 12
              Average fps: 60-65

Battlefield 2:
              Dual rx 480

Directx 11
              Average fps: 50-55

The performance of 2 x rx 480 cards in crossfire in Battlefield 1 is approximately 10fps less than a single card. There is absolutely no value in installing a 2nd card in crossfire as it is actually diminishing the performance.

I am 100% certain crossfire is active in Battlefield 1 as the Crossfire logo appears in the top right corner. I also have an overlay generated by afterburner/rivatuner/HWinfo that shows both graphics card running at 95%-100% in game.

I would like to resolve the crossfire issue however I am quickly learning that crossfire seems to be more trouble than it is worth. I am fair better off going with a single more powerful card, such as a Nvidia 1070, than the crossfire rx 480 cards. I have requested a return of the cards with the supplier however they are refusing to allow me to return them (which will be on ongoing battle).

Would you have any idea as to how to fix the terrible crossfire performance, particularly in Battlefield 1?

Cheers.

redfury

At this moment problem with negative crossfire scaling in BF1 has no working solution.It is definitely BF1 game engine problem.

You must disable crossfire in BF1 game profile, until this issue will be fixed in BF1 patch or in next AMD drivers.

By the way, two RX 480 is much faster than GTX 1070 (and a little faster than GTX 1080) if crossfire works flawless.