7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 8:30 PM by evil_geoff

I need a solid Socket H2/LGA-1155 MB and UEFI/BIOS recommendation for an MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G video card

evil_geoff

I got an MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G video card for Christmas, but I've run into the "PC won't boot/go past POST" issue.  I have no doubt that the MB and BIOS are the problem(s).  Per Lenovo support, the BIOS I have is the most up-to-date available for that board.  If I knew who actually manufactured it for them, I might risk finding a better BIOS but I'm pretty sure that's a dead issue and I don't want to brick my system playing Russian Roulette with a BIOS update.

Current System: Lenovo K330 IdeaCentre

MB: Lenovo Sandy Bridge, P67 chipset
      CPU: i7-2600 Quad Core @ 3.4Ghz
      BIOS: DKKT20AUS (16 March 2011)
      BIOS Mode: Legacy (which appears to be hard coded, there is no option for EFI Boot in the BIOS)

HDD: Seagate 1.4TB
      RAM: 12 GB of Samsung DDR3 1333

PSU: LSP Ultra 750 Watts
      Current GPU: AMD Radeon (MSI R6770 w/1gb VRAM)

Because of the GPU, I shouldn't even be able to play Fallout 4 at all, but I get frame rates in the upper 20's/low 30's on Medium settings and that's do-able. 

I don't want to spend $400 - $500 (or more) to get a new MB and CPU when what I have is rock solid stable and very usable.  I just want to have the graphics able to play AAA games that are coming down the pipe.  So I don't want to sit on this new RX 480 either.

I need advice/suggestions for an Ivy Bridge MB/chipset that runs on UEFI instead of (or switchable with) legacy BIOS.  ATX format board.  I can upgrade to faster/more RAM later if I need to.  The other option I have is to see if newegg will take this beast back and swap it for something that will run on my MB.  So suggestions on the best graphics card I can get under $250 that'll run on legacy BIOS would be appreciated as well.