3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2017 5:05 PM by goodplay

Crossfire Not Working - Wish Santa Had Done His Tech Research Before Buying

almivito

So this year part of my familial haul was:

MB: ASROCK Super Alloy Z170 PRO4

CPU: Intel i5-6600K 3.5GHz

The intent was to build a computer that was truly worthy (of Mordor) that could utilize crossfire for both of my:

GPU(s): AMD Radeon 6870 HD (by Sapphire)

Unfortunately, this was not a winning combination. Crossfire "works", however anything running DirectX 9 or 11 crashes. That and the second card like to enter ULPS mode after I've DISABLED IT, and otherwise is being super lazy and runs at 0% effort. I don't like lazy cards, so naturally this disappoints me. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be? I've done some homework over the last week (and lost a lot of sleep and since contracted the flu. I don't like the flu, so naturally this disappoints me), and what I've found ranges from the 6600K being a lame 16 thread/bus pony (which makes little sense to me as the cards run in x16 and x4 because the board tells them to?!?), to the board just not being actually built for super-serious-level crossfire support (since it defaults to x16 and x4 instead of 2x8, which would make a lot more sense since at least it wouldn't crash but it doesn't seem to know that about itself). I'm trying to figure out what parts need to be returned / labeled as "you only had one job", so any related discoveries would be greatly appreciated! (Also I would love some sleep)

Other Stuff So I Don't Get Asked:

PSU: 900 Watts boi

RAM: 16Gb DDR4 @ some clock I guess; tried a couple

Fans: None personally, but 4 big ones with my new

Case: Really big. With lots of red LED's

Drives: 1xSSD, 120Gb, Sata?