8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2016 9:38 PM by csicsely

W7000 as second card

csicsely

Hi!

I have a W7000 card, and I want to use it for Vray RT 3.4

My plan is, that I buy one more lover cost card, so W7000 is only for Vray RT use, and the new one is for my 3 monitors.

I would like to ask you, that what kind of card could you advise me to buy, so the 2 video card can work together?

Thank you for the answer!

• Re: W7000 as second card
          ray_m

Out of the box, the W7000 supports 3 monitors. You do not need a second card.

csicsely

Yes, I know it, but I would like to W7000 ONLY for Vray RT, 100% capacity for the calculation, and an other card could drive the monitors.

I often watch videos or online TV while I'm working, and I dont want to load it into the W7000.

But for this I need only a lover cost card, not an other W7000.

This is why I ask you, for a compatible card.

csicsely

And we are back at the beginning: what type should be the secondary card, if they have to work together?

ray_m

Maybe you didn't understand. Adding a second card will do NOTHING so improve performance of your primary card/app, since it will still be doing all the processing of the video signal and only then sending it out of the second cards output.

However, if you still want to spend your money, you can buy another W7100 or W5100 since both cards have to run the same driver.

csicsely

Sorry for the silly questions, but I am a beginner in hardwer.

So if I want a second card, they only have to have the same driver, so an other W7100 or W5100 is OK.

But I think, that my original question was wrong.

I want to ask you, if I have 2 Firepro cards, is there any settings in the driver or Windows for:

-one of the cards calculate ONLY 3dsMax Vray RT (in Vray RT there is an option to select which card or cards do it)

and

-the other card do all the other thing, that Windows applications have to do (video playback, scrolling, pam etc, and of course the 3 monitors).

So I dont want to improve the performance of my primary card, just I want to do it only for Vray RT calculation, give the result for the second card, and the second card do the other jobs for the displaying in the 3 monitors. The primary card can restart the next Vray RT calculation, while the second card do the other programs and Windows needings.

Or both of the cards do the same calculations (Vray RT, video playback etc.) always at the same time, it is only depends on Windows?

ray_m

No, as per design, the primary card carries all the load. You cannot have a configuration where you choose what apps run on what card at the same time.

For BOTH cards to share the load, you have to enable Crossfire mode (and the cards have to be identical) but then the outputs from the second card are disabled.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      csicsely

I see.

Thank you for the answers!

Have a nice day!