7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2017 3:30 PM by gwenwolf

R9 FURY Random Black Screen

gwenwolf

This black screen happens randomly while playing any game. Most recent was Batman A.K. was playing smoothly before it started to severely stutter and then proceed to crash into the black screen. My PC stays on but my graphics card is off ( i know this because the screen blinks no signal). Every thing in my set up has played correctly with crossfire 7950's and also my last card the GTX 780. While i had these two setups i never once had a crash of my graphics card. My system specs are as follow

990FXA-UD5 -Gigabyte Motherboard

AMD FX-8350  with a slight OC to 4.37 Ghz

x2-7200rpm Hard Drives

x1- CD/DVD Rom Drive

x4- Modules of G-Skillz 2000Mhz @ 11-11-11-31

CoolMax-900Watt Bronze Certified Plus 80 power Supply

Sapphire R9 FURY 4GB HBM Tri X

My case is a HAF912 with all the fans installed so i should be ok as far as cooling (All fans are working properly). The  recommended spec of power is 750 Watts for the Sapphire R9 FURY.

I did the switch back to the GTX 780 and it worked fine... so im at a lost as to the cause of the black screen...? Any help would be most appreciated and thank you in advance of any response..

• Re: R9 FURY Random Black Screen
          gwenwolf

Wanted to add I  just updated from your 16.12.1 to 16.12.2 and I 'm still crashing.... My OS is Windows 7.

I 'am beginning to regret my choice of Graphic Card company right about now as I have yet to find a solution to this....

I read and watched a ton of clips on solving this issue. I may have found what is the cause of the black screen for my pc running windows 7 64-bit. It appears  the extra software that was to enhance our graphic card is to blame for the crashes. I used a software recommended by an Over Clockers Club webbsite called DDUv96 ( made to remove Nvidia and AMD garbage left behind apparently after uninstall has completed..  I then proceeded to reboot and clicked Start (Windows Start) -clicked Control Panel and clicked Hardware and Sound then went to Device Manager. I then right clicked on VGA and clicked Update Drivers. and only installed the drivers and rebooted again. Played several games including Batman Arkham Knight and DOOM with no crashes for the first time. I am so hoping this has fixed my black screen. I can only hope it will help someone else with the random crashes ......Now i have a card that is no longer able to be sampled to 2160p ...what a drag this card has turned out to be.

To AMD

A consumer should not be spending their first few days tracking down and fixing the product they purchased in faith. I can honestly say i have been severely discouraged in a future purchase of your Zen system i once held out for.  It is a complete and blatant disregard of respect to your consumers to sell them a broken product that was purchased under good faith. I can not in good

conscience recommend such behavior. This is an issue that has plague this and other cards for more then a year with out a fix. There are five other systems i will not be upgrading  anytime soon as Nvidia is not where i wanted to spend my hard earned money but you have also cause a large doubt in my mind. Good luck to

grayefc

what frequency and voltage is your card running at? Overclocks cause the black screens for me, About 1130mhz is about the limit for my card....i have noticed wattman causes problems with my fury, I would recommend you use MSI afterburner to create a custom clock, voltage and fan profile. Don't allow wattman to control any of these.

gwenwolf

Thank you but i should not need third party software to fix an issue that is directly related to software provided by the manufacturer of the product i purchased. I have solved my issue by simply removing everything from installation with exception to the driver and have yet to experience a black screen in any of the games. Tho Batman A. Knight is another beast as Nvidia has completely trashed the performance of that game by adding their code and screwing  up an Amazing Batman Story with nothing but frame drops and glitches  all over the place... My DOOM game now plays at 4k MAXED and a solid 60 frames with Adaptive Sync. The fact that i had to find and fix an issue with a brand new product is why Green is beating the Red team  in sales. AMD can not keep doing business like this and expect the masses to take a look at their product even it is better. Reputation is something earned and not given and AMD is right now is it's own worse enemy.  They need to look among their Ranks and see who is responsible for these mishandles as they will cost them in the long run. For days i have searched and tried many things only to find it was their own software is frustrating to say the least... I  on the other hand am very happy with my purchase now but my point is the damage is done. I was ready to go back to Nvidia and just not look back and i cant imagine how many folks are going to just out right quit because of small but deadly mishandles of their products.  I truly wish you well   AMD in the new year  2017.  I hope you knock Intel and Nvidia right in the chin and stun them a few steps back..... Best of LUCK to you AMD!!! Should i say ryzen? hehehehehe....

grayefc

To be fair this is the first driver that wattman supports the fury series, there are always teething problems with overclock software when its first released. afterburner is a must have app for all graphics card too...especially if you want to monitor temps and frequencies.

My personal experience the the Fury as been superb, the card is massively under rated....I have been able to unlock all the compute units so i effectively have an air cooled fury X....The fury is an amazing undervolter for me, meaning i get great performance with lower temps and lower power consumption...

Persist with the card and it will definitely make you happy.

Also Batman AK is very CPU and Memory speed bound, even my 4790k clocked at 4.6ghz get minor hiccups in it, the game is an abysmal port and should not be the basis of judging a graphics card.

gwenwolf

I agree with everything except the wattman situation. Don't place software that will take from your consumers experience and cause doubt on the quality of your product. I want to  confirm with out a doubt i'am very happy and a proud owner of the Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury Tri-X. The card works amazing now that the random crashes and the black screens are gone.

OMG yes this is possibly the most under rated graphics card i have read about. It just performs so good. DOOM is just AMAZING!!! in 4K

Also Batman A. Knight is just a nightmare of a port but it shouldn't be crashing randomly. Thank gawd im done with this...

I just hope they get their driver and software issues straiten out soon so people can just load this beast and play. Their reputation is on the line as Nvidia is going to have a response for them soon after or before Vega release. They can not have these kinds of issues when Vega and their new Zen CPU get released. I wont lie to you or this company ...i have now doubt in my mind about Vega and the new CPU Zen when released. I have been waiting this whole entire time using my FX-8350 ( which has never once failed me in my games and work). I so LUV my FX-8350.  In any case i wont be in a hurry like before as i will be watching reviews by true AMD lovers of how the new gen CPU and GPU will be working before my next purchase of any AMD next Gen product.

grayefc

Arkham randomly crashed for me too, and a lot of other AMD users, it was completely down to the port and the Nvidia gameworks code at its core, and its complete abandonment of the process of the fixing of the port.

gwenwolf

Wow didn't know it was that bad for AMD users on the Batman game... I tell you GameWorks is a cancer to games...I have noticed severe issues with every game that has Gameworks/Nvidia garbage in it. Even Dying Light has its issues of frame drops-come to think of it... every damn game with Nvidia has issues....lol even on Nvidia cards. We need AMD to put the new code they made that runs Cuda software into their drivers ....like yesterday!   : )