5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2016 10:02 AM by criusmac

Is radeonsettings.exe a program that needs to be running?

criusmac

I have an application that seems to take up 200 megs of memory, and I don't know what it is doing.

Searches keep saying this is a driver that should not be stopped (although details are lacking), however I doubt it's a driver since I can kill it using task manager, and it seems to die without causing anything noticeable to happen... and I doubt drivers take up 200 megs of memory.

What exactly does this program do?

Do I need to be running it for some reason (I can probably answer this myself if I get a detailed enough answer on what it is).

It takes up some CPU power, and a lot of memory. I really want it gone if possible.

• Re: Is radeonsettings.exe a program that needs to be running?
          redfury

It is Radeon settings.You can disable it in auto start menu   Ctrl+Shift+Escape >Auto start

If you have no useful tweaks in Radeon settings, you can disable it without any risk. Or uninstall it (AMD software>custom uninstall>check AMD settings)

But i suggest you just disable it in auto start menu

black_zion

RadeonSettings.exe shouldn't use a measurable amount of working memory when it's not open and you're not fiddling around with it, then it'll jump up to around 100mb but as soon as you close Windows will free that memory. Your internet browser uses well more than that

Capture.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                criusmac

I am sorry for not specifying the way I am seeing the memory being used up -- the 200 megs of memory I was referring to was the commit charge.

Screen-2016-12-30_08-05-45.jpg

black_zion

You are confusing commit charge with working set. Commit charge is the maximum amount of virtual memory which may be used. Working set is the amount of physical memory a program is actually using.

Working Set (Windows)

Commit charge - Wikipedia

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        criusmac

Thank you. These things are confusing, and even after reading the entries, I still have trouble figuring them out.

I only recall my computer was extremely slow one day, and I saw the commit charge of BitDefender at about 26 gigs, even though the working set was small. I figured the commit charge meant something then. I rebooted to allow BitDefender to complete its long awaited update, which of course fixed the problem.

I still don't understand this working set and commit charge, but at this point, I doubt I will.

I think commit charge is the total amount of memory the application has allocated to it, somewhere.

I think the working set is the amount of commit charge currently in physical memory.

If the commit charge of this Radeon Settings ever gets paged into memory, 200 megs being read from the hard drive would take a bit of time and space since I think its an all or nothing approach..

I hope you can correct my thoughts should they be wrong, but I've accepted the answer that Radeon Settings is not a driver, and is useless unless I've tweaked it somehow. I'll mark the other posts as helpful since they would be, to someone who could read them, and understand them.. It is helpful to know I'm looking at it in the wrong way though.