3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2016 2:00 PM by frostbite91

AMD display drivers will not start, Cannot open Crimson, Windows Aero does not work

frostbite91

So basically I'm sitting on a custom $1,000 FB machine. Should of just bought a Macbook eh?
      Here's the deal. I built a computer on Newegg. Everything is brand new and yes, it's all compatible.
      I'm running the new Radeon RX 470 sapphire card and the 8-core 3.3 Ghz FX8300.

I did a completely fresh Windows 7 64 install, and installed the latest drivers from AMD. Upon startup the very first thing I get is an error stating the Radeon host applications has stopped, due to driver atidxx64.dll. Now I've been researching this for some time and ALL the fixes I've seen online does not help. No, updating to SP1 does not solve my issue.

Here's the weird thing. I initially thought the Asus mobo was to blame, so i RMA'd it and decided to throw my new card into my old quad core rig. Installed the latest crimson for that and it works 100% zero issues.

Replacement mobo comes in, it's DOA. figures. wont even post.

OK, refund for $$. Buy a new MSI Gaming board. it comes in. SAME EXACT ISSUE. Except now instead of atidxx64.dll it's saying its because of amdvlk64.dll.

Regardless, the ONLY hardware to be changed was the new CPU (old mobo cant run AM3+, only AM3) I even ran the new RAM on the old mobo and it was fine. I was even able to game, albeit it was slow.

My current issue- Windows Aero doesnt work, Comm Surrogate doesnt work (Cant even open pictures), Cannot open Crimson settings, so I cant tweak ANY GPU settings, and obviously, I cant play ANY games whatsoever.

Will a CPU cause display drivers to stop working? It just seems odd that this graphics card and it's drivers work perfectly fine on my old rig, but wont work at all on my new one. I am using 2 different installs of Windows between rigs. I did a 100% fresh install from a fully formatted HDD on my new rig and still get this issue. SP1 solves absolutely NOTHING. My old rig isnt even running SP1 and it works fine.
      Any help would be great. Thanks.