1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 3:03 AM by redfury

Updated AMD GPU driver, now PC won't boot (or safe boot). Nothing works anymore, what do I do?

wyrdstone

4yr old PC, Intel i5 3570k, AMD 7970, Windows 8.1

Updated the drivers today through the AMD catalyst software (it told me they were recommended). To finish the update it said I needed to restart, but as soon as I did so my PC ran into trouble.

I can get past bios into the automatic repair options but I cannot get anything to work. When I reboot in safe mode it tries and fails and then restarts again. Safe mode simply doesn't work.

I have unplugged my GPU and tried booting via the CPU integrated graphics and I get the same problem. When I choose to do a restore point it says none are available. I tried a refresh and when it asked to put the windows CD into the PC it said it wasn't correct/working (it's the CD I originally installed windows on).

I have taken out the GPU and the same thing happens just with the CPU graphics. When I run command prompt checks of my drives it can't find any problems, the txt files say no problem detected ("Startup repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem"). Everything was perfect with my computer until this driver update. I cannot find a single solution that does ANYTHING after literally spending 10hrs trying to get it to work again. I must have restarted 100x times and I'm still no closer to understanding what has gone wrong.

I'm never going to have the faith to update AMD drivers ever again.

What do I do?!