1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 22, 2016 7:08 PM by kingfish

Can't install driver on Windows 10 laptop after unsuccessful update

marioho@msn.com

Hi!

I have a Samsung Ativ Book 6 (NP670Z5E-XD1BR). It hit the shelves around 2013 IIRC and is composed of:

• Intel Core i5-3230M CPU
      • 8 GB RAM
      • (Windows 8 originally) Windows 10
      • AMD Radeon HD 8850M (for some reason, after a driver update years ago my card will be shown as AMD Radeon R9 M200X Series, but that seems to be by design)
      • Intel HD Graphics 4000 (which is supported by Windows 10, according to their website)

For some reason, after a driver update years ago my card will be shown as AMD Radeon R9 M200X Series, but that seems to be by design.

I bought a new HDD and did a clean install of Windows 10 on it. Everything went smoothly. I went to AMD website and downloaded the Radeon Crimson 16.9.2 minimal setup and it went smoothly too.

I was prompted once to update my radeon driver, what I happily obliged and did the whole process within the AMD Settings user interface. Now I had Radeon Crimson 16.12.1

Yesterday I was again prompted to update my driver by that Radeon stubborn notification popup. I did, and now I regret.

The installation failed. For some reason the wizard crashed on a later stage.

I downloaded DDU from Guru3D and proceeded with the whole ordeal of cleaning the system, downloading the new driver from AMD website and trying to install it, but it always hangs and completely freezes when it's installing the AMD Graphics Driver to the point I need to force it to shutdown with the power button.  When it happens, by notebook will 3 times out of 5 hang on the boot screen and will only boot up correctly if I go into Safe Mode and do the DDU routine of swiping all amd drivers.

I have already tried to install again the 16.9.2 but it freezes on the same stage. I've retired the process after permanently disabling Windows Defender (my only AV) and disabling driver signature verification but to no avail. The same goes to preventing windows to automatically download manufacturer's apps and drivers etc.

According to the installation wizard, it will install AMD Settings and all that stuff altight - the system hangs only later down the road, when installing the AMD Graphics.

After every unsuccessful try, if I go to device manager I'll see that the AMD Radeon... line won't appear under Display adapters and that there will be and exclamation point in Other devices > Video Controller, as you can see here. If I ask it to automatically update the device, I'll be met with this configuration - the AMD line will pop up again under Display adapters and a fresh new driver will be installed, version 21.19.384.0.

I can install Leshcat's Catalyst 16.2.1 Unifl following their instructions and it will work properly.

I've already come across that To people who have instant Black Screen... post and, from what I could get from it, I should start a new thread if my laptop runs ok with a different driver, which seems to be the case both with Leshcat's of with that v21.19.384.0 my system rolls back on device manager.

There are no restore points to that sweet spot when things went sour.

I'm running out of ideas here.