3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2016 2:00 PM by ager

Gigabyte RX480 G1 Gaming 8GB Crashing with all December ReLive drivers.

todesangst

My system is having a major issue with the Radeon 16.12.1 and 16.12.2 drivers.

Updating my system to either of the driver packages released in December 2016 causes massive stability issues for my system.

I am currently running the 16.11.4 drivers and all the problems experienced with the 16.12.x drivers do not occur.

The *MAJOR* problem is with Rocket League. Installing the Crimson ReLive 16.12.1 or 16.12.2 drivers cause the game to crash constantly taking the system down with it. The game is totally unplayable using these drivers. Upon starting Rocket League the game will randomly crash to a blank coloured screen (the colour is random), sound will continue for 5 secs untill the system locks up and requires rebooting. This can happens whether in-game or in the menus. It's totally random. The drivers don't cause games such as Miscreated or Battlefield 1 to crash. It seems to only be Rocket League and occasionally Fractured Space (Both of which are Unreal engined games). The most relevant thing is that if I roll back the drivers to the Crimson 16.11.4 drivers the system performs faultlessly and Rocket League doesn't crash.

My card has the standard power issues that most people have with RX480's. That being I have to use Wattman to change the power and clock settings to keep the card stable. I am fine with this as I took the time to work out what the limits of my card were and found the sweet spot. I am currently using the following settings for Wattman in the Crimson 16.11.4 drivers which are stable and give no issues at all. The card will run for hours on end sitting on 75ºC @ ~2000-3000 rpm.

wattman16114.png

These settings are stable using the following hardware/software

settings16114.jpg

If I were to update the drivers to the newer 16.12.1 or 16.12.2 then use the exact same Wattman settings this brings forth a Tsunami of crashing in Rocket League rendering it unplayable.

Again, rolling back the drivers to the 16.11.4 package sees stability return to the system. Each time I change the drivers I use DDU (Safe mode method) to remove the installed drivers. Any help with identifying what the issue might be with Rocket League would be greatly appreciated.

My system specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14, Arctic Silver 5 Thermal compound.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev.4.0 running F3 BIOS.

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM (4x4GB)

PSU: Corsair RM750i

Graphics Card: Gigabyte RX480 Gaming G1 8GB

Monitor 1: Acer S273HL on HDMI (1920x1080@60Hz)

Monitor 2: BenQ G2420HD on DVI-D (1920x1080@60Hz)

SSD: Samsung EVO 850 256GB

HDD: 3 x various sized SATA3, 1 x 2TB Samsung External USB3.0

DXDiag: Attached