4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2016 10:16 AM by ray_m

A10 7870k came with intermittent fan fault.

klopptinho

bought new cooler and fitted it . no display signal. removed  cooler and apu to find bent and i think broken pins on apu.  is there anything i can do?  fault on amd cooler caused fan not to spin . brand new retail boxed version.  bought from Aria pc uk.

• Re: A10 7870k came with intermittent fan fault.
          ray_m

I'm not sure how installing a cooler could break a pin on the APU ?

klopptinho

the only thing i could think is that i tightened the hyper evo 212 cross bracket too much ? although the heatsink was still able to  move a  little.  the apu was working  but the stock cooler wasn't properly  which i noticed when  i tried to play a game  and opening cut scene had a frame rate of a few frames every ten seconds.. i removed the cpu and replaced it  correctly but the only time i had cause to check the pins was when i had no display signal. i have a feeling i was sold a returned item as the box arrived in a distressed state  and the fan doesn't work properly.  it's a christmas present  which i am now having to replace with another AMD product.  buying from a different source this time who offer insurance.  gutted and reading reviews of the firm i bought the original apu from i wish i hadn't now been temped by their price which was  about £25 cheaper than anywhere else on the market.  i would think that if i had caused the problem the pins would be damaged  in all different areas not just one  corner?   ( through incorrect cpu placement?)  i mean it only goes in one way . would it be repairable  at a cost  ? is it proof enough that the fan is intermittent to  claim for a replacement on the whole package?

redfury

1.You cannot install CPU with bent pins

2.You can bent or even break CPU pins only during CPU cooler removal(or during incorrect uninstall process of CPU), if you remove CPU cooler with CPU together(if contact was really strong)

3.Therefore you couldn't bent CPU pins during cooler installation

4.Try to align pins by plastic card and needle or by something appropriate for this manipulation.