AnsweredAssumed Answered

Black screen on RX460 (idle desktop)

Question asked by nihal on Dec 20, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 by nihal

I've been experiencing black screens on my RX 460. It's like if the card stops sending signal, the display led starts to blink with no image. It's a brand new system, and my first AMD GPU. I've been exhaustively testing, reinstalling and attempting to narrow the issue down, and I only know that I crash when I use the Crimson drivers.

My system:

Windows 8.1 64bit

Intel i5 6600

Gigabyte GA-H170N-Wifi

Corsair 16GB DDR4 RAM

PowerColor RX 460 4GB

Corsair CX430 PSU (430W)

Display LG IPS234V-PN @60Hz-75Hz, HDMI/HDMI then DVI/DVI

(tried on a LG W1952@60Hz, DVI and HDMI>DVI as well)

Any driver version so far

I've ran a memory test (no errors) and spent over 6 hours on the iGPU without issues. I also had no black screen issues using the RX without drivers (but what's the point?). I made sure my chipset drivers are updated, and my Windows as well. I've tried numerous drivers, doing clean installs with DDU every time, and the 16.12.1 is the most stable: It takes 15 minutes on the average on HDMI to see a black screen using it.

I managed to make it 6 hours by creating a TdrDelay QWORD with the value of 8 at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers. I'll still see a crash though, because it's no solution, only a workaround. My SFC is clean. My Event Logs are clean, my temperatures are low, I see black screens even doing nothing at all after booting, just letting my machine sit at the desktop idling. I tried to underpower my card as some people suggested in these forums, to no avail. The card isn't consuming over 8W when idling anyway.

The connection used seems relevant. I crash every 15 minutes using HDMI>HDMI, but it becomes 30-50min using DVI>DVI.

When I crash the keyboard stops responding immediately, but the sound remains for ~5min. I'm using a dedicated usb soundcard. I can't power off the computer, it does nothing. I need to reset it (I hear the CPU fan changing RPM), then I can turn it off and back on. I don't know if the computer posts after the reset only, because I get no video.

I'm out of ideas.

Outcomes