2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 8:25 AM by nihal

Black screen on RX460 (idle desktop)

nihal

I've been experiencing black screens on my RX 460. It's like if the card stops sending signal, the display led starts to blink with no image. It's a brand new system, and my first AMD GPU. I've been exhaustively testing, reinstalling and attempting to narrow the issue down, and I only know that I crash when I use the Crimson drivers.

My system:

Windows 8.1 64bit

Intel i5 6600

Gigabyte GA-H170N-Wifi

Corsair 16GB DDR4 RAM

PowerColor RX 460 4GB

Corsair CX430 PSU (430W)

Display LG IPS234V-PN @60Hz-75Hz, HDMI/HDMI then DVI/DVI

(tried on a LG W1952@60Hz, DVI and HDMI>DVI as well)

Any driver version so far

I've ran a memory test (no errors) and spent over 6 hours on the iGPU without issues. I also had no black screen issues using the RX without drivers (but what's the point?). I made sure my chipset drivers are updated, and my Windows as well. I've tried numerous drivers, doing clean installs with DDU every time, and the 16.12.1 is the most stable: It takes 15 minutes on the average on HDMI to see a black screen using it.

I managed to make it 6 hours by creating a TdrDelay QWORD with the value of 8 at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers. I'll still see a crash though, because it's no solution, only a workaround. My SFC is clean. My Event Logs are clean, my temperatures are low, I see black screens even doing nothing at all after booting, just letting my machine sit at the desktop idling. I tried to underpower my card as some people suggested in these forums, to no avail. The card isn't consuming over 8W when idling anyway.

The connection used seems relevant. I crash every 15 minutes using HDMI>HDMI, but it becomes 30-50min using DVI>DVI.

When I crash the keyboard stops responding immediately, but the sound remains for ~5min. I'm using a dedicated usb soundcard. I can't power off the computer, it does nothing. I need to reset it (I hear the CPU fan changing RPM), then I can turn it off and back on. I don't know if the computer posts after the reset only, because I get no video.

I'm out of ideas.

• Re: Black screen on RX460 (idle desktop)
          nihal

Some updates: 16.12.2 doesn't help, as expected. It was far more unstable, crashes went from every 30-50min min to consistently 9min. Any suggestion of more stable versions to try?

I've set up dual monitors using both cards. When the RX crashes the other screen still works. I can see what happened last there, though I can't interact with Windows. What would you like me to leave open here, what kind of information from the moment of the crash would be useful? I had HWMonitor here and the only oddity is how it doesn't know how to read the RX voltages properly. 0.40V during the crash (okay), and a maximum reading of 474027.459V, hah.

• Re: Black screen on RX460 (idle desktop)
              nihal

Solved it. 17 hours up and no black screen.

Short Answer: Update BIOS. If your BIOS is already the latest version you can use, no problem, update to the same version. Some hiccup in Crimson might be interacting badly with your MOBO, making it ignore the GPU when it happens. Windows doesn't like to detect a GPU but be unable to access it, so it freezes.

Long Answer: The key was a small detail that happened every time I got a black screen: Once I did a reset the motherboard would stop detecting the GPU. The only way to make it detect it was turning it off and back on. So it wasn't only an issue with a driver, but one that made the MOBO reject the GPU once it became unresponsive. Sounds like BIOS.

When someone else with a Gigabye mobo and a RX with the same issues cited among everything he made to solve it (updating to Win10, etc etc) that he also updated his BIOS I got more suspicious. I tested the RX on other OS first, even used the same build of Win 10 he used and still got the crash. So kept my original config (Win 8.1) and went after the BIOS.

The issue is that the F20 version that he did install is dangerous. It's meant for Kaby Lakes only, and it has been bricking some Skylake configs. It's also an irreversible update (congrats, Gigabyte...). Before taking this risk I decided to flash the latest BIOS compatible with Skylakes available for my board to practice: F4, the very same version I already used.

The shocking news? It solved the issue. I saved my BIOS configurations in a profile, flashed the BIOS, restored those configs and it was solved. Something was off with that BIOS the board came with, and the flashing solved it.

That the drivers had nothing with it? I don't think so. Something I realized during my testing was that HWMonitor is picking something off with the GPU and interpreted it as voltage:

cdh_rx_460_hwm.jpg.747e8227b6e25c20f25481c0f9166e65.jpg

See that Voltages tab? On a clean boot it's never there. The data for the RX stops at Utilization. That Voltages section would only appear in the instant I crashed. It's obviously not a voltage reading, it's some anomaly the software thinks is voltage. I still get this field, and it changes in the same intervals I crashed, so the underlying reason is still there, my MOBO just keeps the GPU working now. Yet something is off, and that's worrying.