5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2018 10:57 AM by yodaman1924

Does my FX-8320 X8 bottleneck my RX 480?

dankg

I have bought a brand new RX 480 8Gb version. After playing some ACU and AC3, I've noticed that my framerate isn't quite satisfying for me. But I still can play for example Witcher 3 on high/ultra settings without any problem. So my question is... Does my processor AMD FX-8320 X8 can bottleneck my RX 480?

• Re: Does my FX-8320 X8 bottleneck my RX 480?
          Earnhardt

Doubtful ,My old Phenom II 1100T and My FX 8350 still haven't bottlenecked my crossfired 7950's or 7970's.

black_zion

It depends on the game, some are much more CPU dependent than others, but as the RX 480 is a midrange card, I would agree with Earnhardt that you're not usually.

kahless_uk

About 90% of the time, no, however some games have very inefficient operating code or were part sponsored by Intel (not that common anymore but some older titles fall into this group, the Crysis series for example), those games are going to misbehave on ANY Amd cpu. The FX cpu line were designed to facilitate efficient multithreading, sadly they were about 5 years too early as games are only just now beginning to do this with the advent of Dx12, Vulkan and the earlier Mantle Apis, what they're not so great at is raw single thread instructions per cycle where Intel's cpus have the distinct advantage (depending on model this can be as much as 40%) and since most (if not all) Dx11 and earlier titles can only really leverage one cpu core for rendering this is where your FX cpu "might" hold back your RX 480 (most of the time this translates to not managing to produce framerates over 60fps which doesn't really matter most of the time, but some games will struggle in a more noticeable way)

Games that I've found to be highly cpu limited on my machine (FX 8350 and RX 480) are: Crysis (1,2 and 3), Hitman Absolution, GTA 4 (and 5), Arma, Watch Dogs, Rise of the Tomb Raider (in Dx11 mode, Dx12 is much better), Assassin's Creed games after AC3 and Batman Arkham Knight (although the performance patch helped a lot) just about everything else I play is an easy 1080p 60fps

dankg

Thanks for answering my question. Now I know everything.

yodaman1924

i feel like i am getting some lag out my GPU because of my CPU in fortnight. 60 or more frames in 1080 on epic is out of the question anything below sometimes causes crashes.