3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 9:28 AM by llardo

R9 380 Fan issue.

llardo

Since the last driver updates i have had a problem with the cooler. When im on the bios it spins normally, but when i log into windows, it does not spin for some time and then it accelerates quickly. In this image it didn't reach a high temperature before the cooler started, but in some cases it reached 90°C without starting the fan. I assume its a driver related problem, as it works fine outside windows. I tried reinstalling drivers but it didn't fix it. This happens randomly after boot or after wake up. Card: Sapphire R9 380 2 GB ITX Compact. Any fix ideas?

Cooler problem.png

• Re: R9 380 Fan issue.
          llardo

Here is another screenshot of WattMan. The fan was working great, then i put the PC on sleep. When it woke up, the fan stayed off for a while again. If i run a game, before the time the fan starts working it overheats, i am scared of accidentally burning my card. (Temps in both images are at idle)

Cooler problem 2.png

• Re: R9 380 Fan issue.
              randers

I too have R9 380 ( 4GB MSI ) and i read that "default" temperature to start fan spinning is 60°C or greater. After changing drivers to 16.12.1 i saw that my card do same like in your example. Before update i used Afterburner to change fan curve. Now in Wattman ( 16.12.1 ) for R9 380 i don't see any fan settings for temperature ( only can set Automatic mode or manual RPM value ). I uninstalled 16.12.1 and installed back 16.11.5 ( Wattman + AB = Bluescreen in my case ). If you are scared of your card, back to 16.11.5 (or WHQL last driver) then use application to set fan curve.