7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 1:27 PM by pin8246

3 Monitor Problem

pin8246

Im running the GIGABYTE Radeon R9 390 and I can not get a 3rd screen to show up.   It won't even show up as detected by the OS.

All three are Dell monitors,  both 23.5 inch monitors are connected by the display port and work fine.  The new 27 inch I just added is HDMI and will not get recognized anywhere.  Not to computer savvy so some of the terms and descriptions I get told to check go over my head.   I have done all recommended updates of what I can find.

Thanks for any help.

• Re: 3 Monitor Problem
          redfury

Has your 27 inch monitor auto detect of input source?

Maybe you need just select proper input source in monitor menu (or special button for that)

Have you tried to use this monitor only? You need to unplug DP monitors>shut down PC>and start with 27 inch monitor to make sure it is working

pin8246

Yes the monitor works if I hook it up to a laptop,  or Xbox,  but will not work on this PC.   Yes I have tried it solo and still nothing.  I'm starting to think somehow the HDMI port on the card went out,  but if thats the case why did the display ports not go to?

redfury

It would be more strange if all outputs of video card will be faulty.You may try DP to HDMI adapter.Passive is acceptable in your case.

Or try another HQ HDMI cable.

By the way, 16.12.1 has some "improvements" about HDMI connection. Avoid this driver version and try 16.11.5

pin8246

Yea I am up about to buy a HDMI to dp adaptor.  I know all my dp ports work so I'm hoping this will.  None of my other monitors have HDMI connections so can't check that.   I know when I first built it,  I had the two moniters and a 4k TV hooked up and the TV was by HDMI so it worked then,  but can't even get that to work now.  Had a lightning strike on the house months back that went through the catv connection and fried my modem, router,  and the Ethernet ports on the PC and Xbox.  Maybe that did something to the card.   I'll keep you posted on this outcome.

pin8246

Ok.  HDMI to DP adaptor,  and a HDMI to DP cable. 

The computer is now seeing the monitor,  but when the new one is plugged in all 3 screens beep and go blank every 3 seconds then back on constantly.   If the monitor is plugged in and powered off it does not do this,  just if the monitor is on.

Next set of ideas?   Im thinking a new monitor that is DP only.

pin8246

So done and it is working.  

The moniter I had was using a HDMI which I could not get to connect.   So I went and bought the Display Port cable and adaptor to see if those would work.  At that point,  the PC was seeing the monitor but the monitor was beeping and blacking out all 3 screens every 3-4 seconds.   This lead me to believe the monitor I had just bought had a problem going from HDMI at the monitor to a Display Port on the PC.

So the fix and it plugged in and worked perfectly was to go find a monitor with a Display Port from the factory.   I took back the Dell 27 inch and bought a Samsung 27 inch curved monitor.  This was the only one they had on hand that had the Display Port so I had to go with this.

Now everything works as it should with no problems at all.  I think now I will try this one with a HDMI and see if it works just to double check my HDMI port.  But the trouble I have had,  I don't want to risk anything else going wrong.  Haha

Thanks for all the replies.