0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2016 9:40 AM by kctx

RX 480 - Random back screen and static screen while idling

kctx

CPU: Intel i5-4690k 3.5ghz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Gene

PSU: Corsair GS700

Monitor: Asus pa248q

GPU: XFX RX 480 GTR BE 8gb

I just got an XFX RX 480 GTR 8gb BE the other day after my old nvidia card finally gave out on me.

For the most part, everything seemed okay. I used DDU to get rid of old drivers and installed the latest AMD drivers and software. The first day of use, I would rarely get random, brief black screens and what I can only describe as glitchy looking screen 'flicker.' It was very brief when it happened--just a quick black screen or 'flicker' lasting less than a second before returning to normal, and it only ever seemed to happen under low load idle situations, like when idling on desktop or in an internet browser. It didn't happen during videos or gameplay that I noticed. I wasn't sure what to make of this, I tried reinstalling drivers, rechecking connections and seating of the card, but I haven't noticed any other symptoms to indicate what could be causing this. Further research suggests it may be driver related.

On the second day, after leaving the PC idle for several hours, I returned to it, and now the problem seems to have worsened. The black screens are more frequent, and now I'm also experiencing complete, sustained screen static (with color, not just black and white) that forces me to reboot, as it doesn't go away.

I've also been experiencing what seems to be a fairly common issue with mouse cursor corruption. I've been using a workaround to fix this--opening and running Magnifier in the background when it occurs.

I have been using DVI connection to monitor. Haven't tried HDMI or DisplayPort.

I've done some searching for reports of these problems which is how I discovered the magnifier workaround for the mouse corruption issue, and it seems these screen issues have possibly been related to driver bugs before? Are all of these driver related issues? Or have I gotten a faulty card? Do I need to install older drivers?