10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2016 10:18 AM by redviperdriver

XFX HD 7870 not recognized after ReLive update crash

redviperdriver

Uninstalled old 16.9 drivers.  Started the ReLive 16.12 install.  During the update process, screen went black with random bars of color in the top quarter of the screen, and locked the computer.  Rebooted, and computer now had Standard VGA driver.  Subsequent attempts at ANY Radeon driver install (16.11 or earlier) results in an error 173 Cannot detect hardware or error 175 Unsupported hardware.  Prior to the ReLive install attempt no problems with driver updates.  This is a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit desktop computer.  Card is NOT overclocked and was working fine before the attempted ReLive driver update.

• Re: XFX HD 7870 not recognized after ReLive update crash
          kingfish

Did you try a clean install of the new drivers? Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Drivers > Desktop

You could also try to roll back to the previous drivers..through Device Manager...or use a System Restore Point to a time before you attempted the update.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              redviperdriver

Yes, clean install using both Windows/AMD uninstaller and DDU.  I can install a driver through Device Manager -- currently running 16.9.2.  If I do that, though, then I don't get the Radeon application (used to be CCC) to change video/color settings and the other assorted things; I just have the driver.  Also after the crash, when using the AMD installer to reinstall I only got the options to install Application Profiles, HDMI Audio Driver, and AMD Install Manager -- no option for AMD Display Driver, AMD Settings, Drag and Drop Transcoding, etc.  Viewing the log shows a 20MB install of the Install Manager and nothing else (I unchecked the audio driver and profiles option).  Disabled the AV during install as well.

Unfortunately I could not roll back via System Restore to an early enough point to be of use.

Computer specs:

Core i5 3570K

16 GB ram

Asus P8Z77-V Pro

Corsair 650W PSU

redviperdriver

So I took a chance and tried the 16.12.2 update after doing a DDU uninstall of 16.9.2.  Still getting the 173 error.  Then for "fun"  I tried to install the 16.12.2 drivers through Device Manager and got a BSOD.  The ReLive drivers are a mess.  Any ideas?  I will gladly go back to 16.9.x; I just want to have control over color settings which of course doesn't occur when installing through Device Manager.

I can tell you if I have to build a new box I won't be getting a Radeon card.  It seems ridiculous that a driver update would cause the hardware not to be recognized by the manufacturer's install program.

kingfish

I am using a older version and see no need to install these 16.12 drivers until the bugs are worked out. It was the same thing when Crimson was new...took a while to sort everything. Use one of these previous drivers > http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

slayn

I ran into the exact same problem but with a R9 380 card (crashed during install of the 16.12.1 drivers and now the AMD install packages don't recognize the card anymore)

Like you, I tried everything... clean uninstall of drivers using DDU, updating bios, disabling on board video card, etc...

I had to install older drivers through device manager to use the card, but no installation package from AMD would recognize my cards existence after the crash.  Funny, because EVERYTHING else in windows recognizes the card and works fine...

After 8+ hours of troubleshooting and failed attempts to fix it I ended up doing a repair install using the Windows disc Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums

This FINALLY fixed the problem.  It does keep all of your installed games and programs so it's not as bad as a complete reinstall of windows, but you will have to re-activate windows, and re-download/re-install all of the windows updates through the updater, so anything that uses later versions of Microsoft's .NET Framework won't work until those updates are re-installed.

I wish there was an easier way but if there was one I wasn't able to find it 

redviperdriver

Thanks for the tip.  I will have to make a decision about whether to try the repair install or just build a new box as my current one is a little long in the tooth anyway.  After this debacle, I will definitely be going in a different video card direction for the new build,

redviperdriver

The Win7 repair install tip worked so thanks again.  I was able to install older versions of the Radeon driver and got the AMD Radeon application to work (mostly).  I decided to reinstall 16.9.2 but that didn't work completely -- I couldn't get to the Radeon Additional Settings as it would not launch.  Also, I couldn't launch the the Radeon app from the system tray but could through the desktop and the Start button.  Go figure.   Long story short, I needed to go back to the 16.7.3 drivers to get Additional Settings to work.

And, of course, the repair install messed up some other programs so I still have to sort all of that out.  Of course, this problem should never have happened with a driver update.  I will remember this problem and all the hours spend troubleshooting when I buy new video hardware, that's for sure.