7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2016 8:11 PM by hardcoregames™

Newegg is offering a heck of a deal on AMD’s Fury X

kingfish

Christmas is a great time for finding deals on various bits of equipment, and Newegg is offering an AMD Fury X at rock-bottom pricing. There’s an XFX version of the GPU for $319 at Newegg right now, and while we don’t normally recommend cards based on rebates, you can pull the total price down to $299 if you’re willing to submit one. That’s a pretty insane deal by any measure. When we compared the Radeon Fury against the GTX 1060 earlier this year, we noted that the Fury was a compelling challenger compared to the GTX 1060. The Fury X is roughly 10% faster than the Fury, which means this is about as good a deal as you can get on a $300 GPU.

There are a few caveats to keep in mind. First, the Fury X is limited to a 4GB memory buffer, while other cards in this category now regularly offer more. Whether or not that’s an issue will depend on what kind of games you play and how often you upgrade. Our 4GB memory testing last year demonstrated that 2015-era GPUs tend to run out of steam before the memory limit becomes a problem, and that’s still true of the other $300 GPUs competing in this territory.

There are a few things to be aware of if you’re eying a Fury X. First, it’s an older GPU and draws a fair bit of power as a result, so make sure to check power supply requirements and make certain your own hardware is within spec. The 4GB memory limitation is also a bit of a barrier at this point — it should be fine for current and future titles, provided you’re playing at 1080p or 1440p, but 4K isn’t a great resolution for the Fury X, even though the card can technically drive it.

The bottom line is this: A $299 – $319 Fury X is a crazy deal. It’s easily the fastest GPU you can buy in this price bracket, albeit temporarily. The radiator and blower help keep things cool and the GPU supports features like AMD’s FreeSync for smoother gaming on supported monitors. Even the 4GB memory buffer shouldn’t be a major problem — while GPU buffers have grown of late, a number of the most popular cards on the market, including the GTX 970 and GTX 980s were both 4GB cards. Nvidia’s Pascal has been lighting up the charts, but Maxwell and GCN-based hardware will still be supported in-market for some time to come.

$.png

• Re: Newegg is offering a heck of a deal on AMD’s Fury X
          black_zion

Amazon pricematched their sale price, and the mail in rebate is valid there as well, so Prime members with the Prime credit card can take an additional 5% cash back off the $319.99 price ($15.99) making it $284 after rebate, even cheaper than Chinese Newegg.

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-R9-FURY-4QFA-RADEON-FURY-3xDP

But with the Vega 10 GPU soon to be released outperforming the GTX 1080, it'd put it at lest 50% faster than the Fury X...The Fury X would still be the better buy for 2560x1600 and under, considering Vega 10 will be twice the price.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            ambrose

Hi Guys,

Newegg and like sellers are pretty good but the return methods have a lot to be desired, There have been a few times that I almost dropped some coin to Newegg, but after reading the customer reviews I have yet to this day ever bought anything from them and like companies. The Bull crap one has to go through ( From what I read ) when retuning something....it's just not worth the head-ache. I'll stick with my local computer stores. I even read horror stories of people buying Video cards that for no better reason, somehow the shells/covers had been switched. The video card looked like what the person wanted but actually was another card type.

This can only lead me to speculate that either this person was trying to pull a fast one on the return or someone did it before them and Newegg was just passing ( Unknowingly ) a bad product. Also have read about people returning products only to get their original product ( Defective )  back again and have to go through the head-ache of it all again.

Nice deals....but, no thanks not worth the head ache of bad products.

black_zion

Agreed there with Newegg, they used to be the unquestioned leader in prices, variety, and customer service when it comes to PC hardware, but starting a few years back when they opened "Newegg Marketplace" to try and compete with Amazon, they really took a downturn on all 3 fronts, then to add insult to injury they started their "Newegg Premiere" service for $59 a year which anyone would be a fool to use, as it only gives 3 business day shipping and "priority" customer service. Then to add a broken arm to injury they pulled Shoprunner service, which all AmEx cardholders get for free, completely then only added it back on select items after an outcry.

qwixt

several or a few years ago I bought an AMD card from newegg. I knew it wasn't good when I opened the box heard some rattling in the card, and eventually a little transistor fell out. Newegg sent me a new one without a hassle, and paid for shipping too. These days, it seems like the only thing you can do at newegg is return for replacement at best. When compared to Amazon, especially prime, it just doesn't make sense to use newegg. Higher shipping, and more of a hassle to return.

qwixt

Thanks for the notice. I tried a fury x, maybe even the xfx one, before returning it, and later getting a sapphire tri-x fury. The fury x I tried had some fan coil noise, and there were times when it made a strange buzzing noise that I have never heard from a fan or video card before.