4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 9:21 PM by janagewen

The most adaptive processors from AMD

I've experienced many processors from AMD, since 1998, such as AMD K6 (II) series, Athlon (K7), Athlon 64 (K8), Athlon 64 X2 (K8), Athlon 7750 (10h), Athlon II, APU (10.5h), APU (Bulldozers), maybe I would love to experience the future ZEN based processors. AMD processors are moderate, not that excellent but most favourable and acceptable. I've also experienced x86 processors from other vendors, such as Intel and VIA. I have to say the most adaptive and friendly processors are the ones designed for AM3 socket, based on AMD 10h/10.5h microarchitecture. They are beyond moderate, and to some extends, I could use word, excellent, to make such description. For those processors, they could work without problems on AM2+, AM3 and AM3+ motherboards, and for some ancient AM2 motherboards, they could also work with or without patches to the firmware. So they gain lots of support of different chipsets, and even lengthen their lives even longer than the days the manufactures would never dare to expect. As I know chipsets from the vendors list below are possible to support such processors,

VIA, the unforgettable chipset hero once when I was a high school student, I fell in love with their products once...

SiS, another Taiwanese based chipset vendor, written into history

ALi, Taiwanese based, later spun off and formed ULi. The one chip design (integrated north bridge and south bridge into one chip) style could be traced from NVidia products, such as Geforce 8200 chipset for AM2+ processors.

NVidia, their nForce chipset almost took up my days in high school dreaming and guessing how the Athlon based computer is different from Pentium III based.

ATi, I never used such chipsets before acquired by AMD.

ULi, Taiwanese based, spun off from ALi, single chip design.

AMD, they designed their own chipsets for AMD64 processor, without needing third-party south bridge, once found borrowed from VIA.

NVidia (acquired ULi), traditional NVidia chipsets were separated north bridge and south bridge chipset. After acquiring ULi, some NVidia chipsets adopt single chip design. The NVidia GeForce 8200/8300 and nforce 720a/730a are the only GPU integrated chipsets support OpenCL for AMD processors.

AMD (acquired ATi), they succeeded and phased-out all chipsets from other vendors, and end that period when cooperating for core system design. Their RS9xx series are the last chipsets support AM3 processors. After that, AMD APU rewrites another story.

Is there any other kind of processor would gain the supports from 9 different vendors? Never! After AMD acquired ATi, at very short period, AMD also provided support for Intel processors! But Intel never provided any support for AMD processors after they dropped Socket 7 and released SLOT1. The microarchitecture of AM3 processor is very similar with the AMD Athlon (K7) processor,  moderate design. Their performance is not that strong as core microarchitecture from Intel, but its innovate serialised Front Side Bus, Hyper Transport, did really charm and puzzle me too a lot when I was twenty something. The integrated memory controllers, xBar, L3 cache also make those processor even more mysterious when I was in love with them. 48-bit physical space addressing capabilities also open up the road to the real 64-bit computing. I have to say that I love processors from AMD.

• Re: The most adaptive processors from AMD
          jigzaw

On a side note, Tseng Labs was innovative enough from VL-Bus to AGP. ATI snapped it and snapped its existence. 3Dlabs Premedia was great entry level garphic chip for CAD and 3D in windows on it decline Creative Labs snapped it without leaving a tombstone. Cirrus Logic traded blows with S3 till it all turned to dust. The Athlon and nForce was great but sometimes gets buggy. Nvidia  since then had a bad taste of AMD when it got ATI. The Duron processor was like a diesel with a lot of torque on what every you throw at it . I certainly want a Zen and hopefully it won't bulldozed your expectation.

Thank you for your reply. Most of what you mentioned, such as Cirrus Logic, S3, Creative and so on, I have experienced their products, when I was a teenager or later twenty something. They really delighted my life once. I do not want to pour cold water to anyone, but I have to say that ZEN or Rizen would never perform another play like the days when Hammer was about to releasing. The reason is obvious, Hammer is the heavy attack towards 64-bit desktop computing, once expected to be the world of Itanium. But ZEN or Rizen is no more than another AMD64 processor from AMD if there is no change towards its architecture (ISA). The actually performance only plays a casual role for moderate users. Lack of third party chipset support, AMD is different from Intel, it must face with a lot of problems and challenges. The all-in-one, SoC, single chip design would also bring out another serious problem, the extension of the system itself. This thing seems better to OEM manufacturers, but worse to the personal users, especially enthusiast. 

I have some suggestions towards AMD,

1. if possible, release some ZEN based processors for AM3(+) and/or FM2(+) motherboard

2. Rename the AM4 socket to something else

3. Incorporate core ARM64 support

Talk:Windows XP - Wikipedia

In 2014, I worte an experimental explanation about the actual meaning of "XP", I also said the number 9 has the possible meaning of stop and end. I was blocked there, but I am all the time proud of what I said. Microsoft never released Windows 9 again, but skip it, only with Windows 10 released. Today, my user account has already been deactivated on the Intel communities for days. And I do not fear my user account would be locked here too. But the real things that I want to express is my oppose to the name AM4.

AM4 has almost no offensive in European languages, but for oriental cultures, this name is really bad! If AMD want to earns money from China and Hong Kong, I suggest they use some other names, because AM4 might possess that meaning that "Ah, I am dead!", especially in Chinese and Cantonese. 4, in Japanese, shi, also has the meaning of death. Also AMD have already made confusions when they name the socket AM1, because it is not a socket succeeding or preceding the socket AM2. So AM4 is not a succeeding socket for AM3+ too. As we know AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ are the sockets provided for innocent AMD processors, having no knowledge on the Bus, GPU and so forth. Even though they have memory controllers, but after all they are the innocent processors, or virgins. But the marriage of processor with GPU make those processors not that innocent. So this socket should not name in this convention too. I suggest just use Ryzen socket to replace the name of AM4.

cpu-collection.de >> Rise

Is the name Ryzen a good name for the next generation of AMD processor, once named as ZEN? In my interpretation of ZEN, it resembles the German word, Zehn, number ten, or 10, where the letter h does not make sound. If the AMD K6 series processors count as the 6th generation of AMD processor, Athlon as the 7th, Hammer as the 8th, Bulldozer as the 9th, then the ZEN or Ryzen based processors could be counted as the 10th generation processors from AMD. Once again, Ryzen is a good name? Ryzen is similar with English word, Risen or Rising, like the sun is rising, everything would go well. It is could be interpreted in German word, Reise or Reisen, with the meaning of travel or trip. But one thing could never be avoided, that is there were once the x86 processors named as Rise, later acquired by Taiwanese Company, SiS. Letter y and z are the interchangeable letters in European languages especially for Germanic and Roman languages. They both happen into the same word, and next to each other, in my opinion, it is not a good thing.

Amouron, in my own opinion, is a good word towards the ZEN based processor. First of all, Ryzen is a name not proper for AMD processor, because it is meaningless, this German like word would involve the oppose from many people speaking other languages. Second, Intel name their mainstream processors, as Core, simple and meaningful, Processors are the core of system. So as to today's AMD A4, A6, A8, A10 and A12, it is also meaningless and even worse! Amour-on is a good word, love is the beginning of everything, and one could find interpret it as AM OUR ON, our love is beginning. When I was in high school, so many classmates customised their computers based AMD Duron processors. Amo-uron, where Amo could further be explained as Ammo, giving bullets towards the opponent, Intel, giving them a heavy attack.