AnsweredAssumed Answered

Windows 10 won't boot with newer drivers

Question asked by nujin on Dec 13, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 21, 2016 by nujin

Good day.

I have problem with newer driver versions on my Radeon R9 270 (SAPPHIRE R9 270 DUAL-X OC BOOST 2GB).

After installing drivers from version 16.9.1, even the currently newest Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1, my Windows 10 (64-bit) won't boot. After the first Windows loading screen (with logo), I get another loading but only black screen with the rolling dots. Even after several hours Windows did not booted (almost all night long).

This occur with all the drivers I tried, 16.9.1, 16.9.2, 16.10.3, 16.11.x and 16.12.1:

- When the drivers are installed manually or via auto-update without uninstalling old drivers, the Windows screen turns black during installation process and only the mouse cursor can be seen. After restart the Windows will not boot.

- When uninstalling old drivers and installing new, the installation process end up without problem. But also after restart the Windows will not boot.

Only way to start Windows again is by uninstalling drivers in safe mode, manually or via AMD Clean Uninstall Utility.

I have no problems with the driver 16.7.3

Any idea how what can be wrong? What do I need to do to update drivers without having this problem?

MB: Intel DH67CL

CPU: Intel i5-3570

RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

VGA: SAPPHIRE R9 270 DUAL-X OC BOOST 2GB

Outcomes