My Specs:

GPU: Radeon RX480 8GB

CPU: AMD FX8350 4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970a-DS3P

RAM: 8GB

Memory Clock: 1266MHz

Graphics Driver: Crimson ReLive 16.12.1

No overclocking, it's all 'Out of the Box'

So, firstly I'm hoping for some sensible and helpful discussion. I've tried several 'gaming' forums and just received abuse about clearly how stupid I am...

Anyway, I've bought a new PC and been having an issue with a few games with crashing. The games I've played so far:

Dishonored 1 (about 30 hours) on 'Ultra' settings - No Issues

Rome 2 Total War (About 15 hours) on 'Extreme' - No issues

Elder Scrolls Online on all settings - crashes

DOOM on all settings - crashes

The crash itself regularly occurs about 10 minutes into the game, at which point the screen goes blank, the audio goes dead and effectively my PC locks up. The only way to recover from this state is to Hard Reset the PC. At which point it is running OK, with NO crash logs or error reports suggesting what the problem was.

So I've tried all the usual troubleshooting methods (re-installs, update all drivers, turn off firewalls etc.) nothing makes any differences. 10 mins in and CRASH. So I've been monitoring my hardware in game. All games run perfectly smoothly, well over 60FPS and stable; no stutters or drops even on the highest settings. I did notice the temperature of the GPU getting to around 80°C. This is where the abuse came in; many people have told me that 80°C is perfectly normal, acceptable, no issue and my problem is elsewhere, but I decided to follow up on it anyway. Low and behold if I manually juice up the fan speed in the RX480 so it maintains a steady 55-60°C no more crashes and no more issue. In my mind it could make sense, as the games that are crashing are newer and have better graphics so are no doubt putting greater strain on the GPU.

So I have a few questions for the AMD community (where better to ask!?)

1/ IS 80°C OK, or is it really getting a bit warm?

2/ Is this sort of crash indicative of a heat related issue, or could I have another problem?

3/ If I can turn the fault off an on again with fan speed; why is it necessary to use 'Manual' controls? Are the automatic fan settings not up to scratch?

Would really appreciate peoples thoughts and comments. It's a brand new PC, so I'm wrestling at the moment whether to return it (though I'd rather not), or whether I'm just being a bit amateur (new to this PC gaming business!)

Thanks

Craig

Outcomes