5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2017 11:00 PM by rbrocks84

WX7100/RX480/S9150 WS2016 RemoteFX

rbrocks84

So, I really like the idea of using either 4 of the WX7100, RX480, or S9150 in my Dell T620s for RemoteFX under Server 2016.  I know there aren't any drivers for either the WX7100 or RX480 that are specifically for Server, but Server is the same OS as Windows 10 and I know that it would work with the Windows 10 drivers.  I have some questions though.  They are as follows:

The web site says "Multi-stream hardware H.265 HD encode/decode for power-efficient and quick video encoding and playback" for the WX7100.  I can only assume that it would also do the same for H.264.  My question is two fold.  First, is my assumption correct that the hardware encoder also works with H.264?  Second, just how many streams is "multi-stream" because RemoteFX uses hardware H.264 encoders to perform the heavy lifting for the RDP protocol if they are available and I'd like to know just how many VMs I could attach to the card and have offloaded encoding.  Is it the same number of H.265 streams as H.264 (for future updates to RemoteFX which will probably eventually adopt H.265)?  The same questions go for the RX480 and S9150.

Which of these would offer the best performance for 15 users per card?  These will be for a VDI offering where the use case is for remote knowledge workers, so 512MB of vRAM per VM should be more than sufficient.

Is there an AMD card that would function better for RemoteFX than these, staying within 275watt thermal envelope?

Is there a 14nm Server card coming soon?  I really like the WX7100 and RX480 over the S9150 due to the new process technology.  From what I've seen, they have essentially the same computational capability as the S9150 in half the TDP (and half the size in the case of the WX7100), though it would be wonderful if there were a card with the new process technology that had 16GB of memory.

Thanks in advance.