17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2017 1:27 AM by redline

Battlefield 1 and GTA V Crossfire Issues using AMD Crimson 16.9.2-16.12.2

trizzx

12/10/2016

Has anyone got crossfire to run smoothly playing Battlefield 1? I keep hoping with new driver releases we would see some changes and improvements but that doesn't seem to be the case as noted by the release notes and our testing. It's strange considering Crossfire runs great in Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4. I know there's a ton of threads on this but I thought with the new driver release and Battlefield patches a new thread was warranted but maybe someone could merge them and sticky it.

12/15/2016

I can confirm this issue exists using AMD Crimson 16.9.2 through 16.12.1 including the hot fixes released in between. I can also confirm this happens on three separate systems one running 2x7970s, another with 2x290x's and mine with 2xR9 Fury's

12/23/2016

I can confirm the same issue persists after updating to AMD Crimson 16.12.2 figured it would since the release notes didn't mention anything regarding this (I still have hope) also the same exact issue exists in GTA V so to play that I have to disable Crossfire as well...

System:

Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO

Memory: G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

Graphics Card A: Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury

Graphics Card B: Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury

Monitor: ASUS MG279Q

Battlefield 1 Feedback

DX11 Crossfire Disabled: Currently the only way I can play the game smoothly also I get better FPS than with Crossfire enabled.

DX11 Crossfire Enabled: Unplayable due to constant stutter and FPS drops.

DX12 Crossfire Disabled: Unplayable due to constant stutter.

DX12 Crossfire Enabled: Simply doesn't work but that's on the games developer.

Battlefield 1 Settings:

2016-12-10_12-59-54_bf1.png

2016-12-10_12-59-42_bf1.png

Battlefield 1 MSI Afterburner Monitoring:

DX11 Crossfire Disabled: Notice the GPU utilization is fairly smooth with the occasional drop.

2016-12-14_19-25-02_MSIAfterburner.png

DX11 Crossfire Enabled: Notice both GPUs constantly spiking leading to constant stuttering and inconsistent FPS.

2016-12-14_18-33-12_MSIAfterburner.png

GTA V Online Feedback

DX11 Crossfire Disabled: Currently the only way I can play the game smoothly also I get better FPS than with Crossfire enabled.

DX11 Crossfire Enabled: Unplayable due to constant stutter and FPS drops.

GTA V MSI Afterburner Monitoring:

GTA V Online DX11 Crossfire Disabled:

Servers down ATM

GTA V Online DX11 Crossfire Enabled: Notice both GPUs constantly spiking leading to constant stuttering and inconsistent FPS.

2016-12-21_23-15-27_MSIAfterburner.png

Conclusion:

AMD should really disable Crossfire for Battlefield 1 as by default it impacts the game and performance negatively and enable it in a future driver where it works correctly. Hopefully we'll see some DX11 Crossfire improvements in a new driver release but I figured 16.12.1 would be the driver to do it considering the game was released back in October for now it's back to single GPU Battlefield 1....