12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 7:33 PM by kingfish

Video playback colorspace issue with Crimson and RX480

hitman

Hi,

I have found a serious issue with video playback using the RX480 and Crimson drivers, I believe now after measuring the output against an Intel IGPU that this is because AMD have omitted essential advanced settings for video (that would set correct 16-235 colorspace output for video playback) in the Crimson drivers.

I am a semi-pro display calibrator, calibrating my own displays for over 10 years and I have found serious greyscale and Gamma issues with the Crimson drivers, see results below.

The older Catalyst drivers used with older pre-RX400 series cards had the options to setup video playback for the correct colorspace for video levels 16-235 along with the global GPU pixel format, the correct settings to achieve bit perfect video output via HDMI was to set the AMD global pixel format setting for the GPU to 0-255, then under video settings (removed in the Crimson drivers), Dynamic range was set to 16-235 (there was also a registry hack tool to set the GPU to 0-255 pixel format, this no longer works with Crimson), all other enhancement settings - disabled.

This is not possible with Crimson drivers, all we have now is the global pixel format setting, which allows a setting choice of 4:4:4/4:2:2 YCbCr, 4:4:4 Limited RGB 16-235 and 4:4:4 PC standard (Full RGB).

I have calibration equipment and software and have measured all the available Crimson options for Pixel Format and the only option that provides a stable bit perfect output is 4:4:4 PC standard (Full RGB), unfortunately this is unusable with a 16-235 TV display and becomes heavily crushed due to the incorrect colorspace (Dynamic range setting (16-235) fixed this to the correct colorspace in previous CCC Drivers).

The available 16-235 Pixel format options - 4:4:4/4:2:2 and Limited RGB settings clip greyscale - black AND white levels and the upper gamma is therefore distorted due to this clipping, currently these drivers are unusable for correct video and bluray playback with degraded image quality on a 16-235 video display, measured quality is broken and distorted, I have now disabled the RX480 until the Crimson driver is sorted out, (if not I will have to take the RX back as it is currently no use for me like this and get a 1080 Nvidia, shame as I have always used AMD) and reverted back to my onboard Intel HDMI output which there are no video issues with both viewed and measured results, calibrated results below.

Please AMD return the advance video settings that have been omitted in the crimson drivers, which included the important Video setting - DYNAMIC RANGE.

These are my test results/attached below of the Gamma/RGB output via HDMI from an Intel 530 onboard GPU (I7 6700) against the AMD RX480 8GB, using the current Crimson drivers ( I have also tested all Crimson drivers from first release and they are ALL the same results).

Intel 530 HDMI 4:4:4 Measured Output Results

AMD RX480 4:4:4 Measured Output Results

• Re: Video playback colorspace issue with Crimson and RX480
          mclingo

this might be the final straw for me, with h264 also not working AMD clearly no longer give a hoot about htpc and video users, no idea why tech sites arent all over these two issues, these are major flaws with this generation of card and nobody seems to give a damn.

yup, time to return mine, i've had it several months but its clearly not fit for purpose so i'll be damanding a full refund, i'll probably get a 1060 or 1050,  is there anything the Nvidia card cant do or dont do well for HTPC's?

hitman

Tech sites and reviews are predominantly game based and don't test the video side of the cards capabilities nor calibration details, rarely some sites do.

I have had a Gtx 780ti in the past but I could not get 3D bluray playback to work without a hack (fooling the driver that I had a specific monitor) I was also under the impression that I would have to purchase an addon for 3D but this may well have been for gaming (I didn't research it for long), I also had to use a custom resolution utility to get it to output 23.976hz.

mclingo

i might just get a refund and go back to 1080p for now then, the repurchase when they sort this out which i suspect wont happen at all on this gen, i think they screwed this one up to get it out quickly, to release a card that cant even decode h264 properly is a uttlery appauling and that they havent fixed it yet suggests to be a deeply flawed architecture,

hitman

Added/attached the Black and White pluge patterns test to the first post to show the clipping happening with the AMD RX480, the Intel is allowing BTB and WTW (bit-perfect untouched video signal) which is correct but the Intel is not only, not allowing blacker than black/whiter than white to pass but is further clipping the signal in the black and white levels.

mclingo

this got me thinking so I checked mine again, my WTW and BTW are fine mate, here is my setup.

AMD pixel format 4:4:4 FULL RGB

Video player: MPC-HC with external LAV Filters added and MADVR.

MADVR colour space 0-255

LG OLED TV colour space HIGH

So the only colour space conversion thats happening it when it goes to the TV, i'm defo getting WTW and BTB.

Something did not look right on the latest driver though but I removed it as it still crashes MPC-HC when using MADVR, if you are using the latest drive go back to 16.8.3 and try again.

hitman

Yeah I mentioned that setting the RX480 pixel output to PC full 0-255 works fine but  cannot use that setting on it's own, I need 16-235 as the HDMI input to the display is shared via an Avr and only madVR supports changing video colourspace within it's codec settings, I mainly use powerdvd for bluray and also use wmp which are colourspace fixed to video 16-235, so a non worker for me.

mclingo

i'm lost then, as far as I knew you could only get WTW and BTW using FULL RGB, this is normal.

hitman

That's correct, you also used to be able to use madlevelstweaker (comes inc with madVR files) to force set the gpu to 0-255, however then you used advanced video settings in CCC to set dynamic range to 16-235 for video and this worked perfect (madVR was set to - display expects 16-235).

Unfortunately these advanced video options and the important 'dynamic range' setting have all been omitted from crimson drivers, so where stuck for correct video playback to a 16-235 video display.

Returned my rx480 card this morning and got a gtx1060 to tied me over till the new year, thank you scan.

mclingo

sorry i'm still not getting this, if i'm getting WTW and BTW using FULL RGB 4:4:4 and MADVR set to 0-255 whats the problem?, its not doing an extra conversion, its not clear why you feel madvr should be 16-235

perhaps I need to read up more on this but I thought I understood it.

patricklibuda

Hi, if it is only colour (0-255 or 16-235) you are after, there is one thing that might actually work. Either uninstall AMD Settings or if the drivers have not yet been installed, install them without AMD Settings. Then get the last Catalyst Beta (15.11.1) and install the Catalyst driver menu stuff (and only that). Afterwards reinstall the newer driver while omitting AMD Settings. You will or at least should see that the newer driver now works with the old Catalyst menu stuff instead of AMD Settings. I tried this out some time ago because I wanted to know whether you could reactivate the deinterlacing options. By the way, you cannot. If I remember correctly, it was however possible to select 0-255 or 16-235 under Video but I am not sure any more as it has been quite some time. I went back to the normal Crimson stuff when I discovered that it is possible in PowerDVD 16 to select the deinterlacing stuff like in the old Catalyst menu. O.K., it is a bit of a Frankenstein job but you might still like to try it. Good luck. Cheers.

mclingo

ive come back to this as I may have a similar problem to you know, i've lost WTW and BTB when in FULL RGB mode, I was currently using FULL RGB with MADVR set to 0-255 and my TV set to HIGH which is 16-235 I assume.  With this setup I got BTB WTW and black clipping pattern on youtube was correct.

All of a sudden i've lost BTB and WTW so there must be a an extra concersion happening somewhere, odd thing is I havent changed anything. This stinks of yet another AMD card issue.

The only way to correct this now is to have MADVR set to 16-235 and my TV set to LOW, which will mean everyting on my desktop will be crushed, what a s0dding mess, I am really sick of AMD.