4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2016 9:09 PM by angryuser1

4K vp9 encoder / decoder doesn't seem to work on windows 7 - help appreciated

angryuser1

I've recently been trying to solve vp9 codec in chrome stuttering and dropping frames, while hitting high CPU usage. I discovered that for some reason, it was being decoded with software instead of my basically brand new rx480.

I've been trying different drivers and about://flags to attempt to force it, to no avail.

Then I've read that ReLive is happening, saw a glorious

• VP9 Decode Acceleration(9): 4K 60Hz GPU-Accelerated Video Streaming enabled on supported Google™ Chrome web browsers

And then it struck me: even tough rx480 has a decoder, it didn't necessarily been implemented into drivers just yet, especially with all those h.264 issues plaguing these not so long ago.

I've happily proceeded to DDU and install new drivers, then a massive sadness followed, because it still didn't work...

I've come here not to complain, but to ask questions regarding to how this exactly works:

1. What does it mean, that gpu acceleration is supported on chrome web browsers? Which exact versions? Most-recent stable? Canary(most recent beta)? Or is it windows version or update specific? I have windows 7 pro, and I don't intend to use windows 10.
      2. What does the gpu acceleration mean anyway, in this particular case? Is it a full acceleration? Or something like partial acceleration? Some kind of openCL program that runs on compute units of my GPU (on shaders?) This interests me because I am interested in how a decoder is built into GPU, is it a separate part of a graphics chip that has no impact on game performance, outside of using some memory bandwidth, or is it, as mentioned earlier, a way of using shaders to decode and has an impact on game performance? Is it the same for an encoder?
      3. I've tried to use relive encoder to test it's recording functionality, and discovered that I can't use my 192kHz xonar audio sampling, because the audio is dead set on 48kHz and will slow down during recording. The video is 59,94 Hz, so if someone notices stutter while using 60Hz, it might be the same issue. Will these be customizable in the future? The quality of image recording itself was excellent, and the file size was small. I only wish for aforementioned issue to be addressed sometime, and an option to save as webm instead of mp4 when using hevc. And an option to totally disable a key shortcut for unused features, but that's hardly an issue compared to rest.
      4. Is there a way to use the relive encoder for other programs? For example OBS, handbrake, MMD during rendering? It would save me a ton of time if I could tell these somehow to use the AMD hardware instead of software rendering. However, for this to work, the codecs themselves would have to be somehow registered within the system, perhaps that's why I have the decoding issue in the first place.
      5. How does the instant replay work? Does it take a fixed amount of my system RAM? or reserve some GPU VRAM? I have a lot of RAM so I would prefer the first option to happen. Is the amount it reserves for this feature a fixed amount? a dynamic one depending on resolution, time? Can user customize it or create a profile for each game? I don't want to run into performance issues when using it, or when I do, I'd like to know if instant replay is the culprit because, for example, capping out on gpu VRAM or bandwidth.

My specs:

i5 4690k @ 4Ghz

asus maximus vii hero

24GB DDR3

RX 480 8GB (sapphire nitro oc+ one)

I'd also like to thank AMD and it's programmers for bringing all these features. I was really, really happy when these happened out of nowhere, even if these still need polishing. I really prefer this method as opposed to creating unnecessary hype. Please continue to bring us the good stuff.

PS: I've heard some sad news about linux drivers not being merged into it's kernel, I don't fully understand what it means but I know that the driver team must be dissapointed. Stay strong guys.