34 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 9:38 PM by colesdav

☠☠☠☠ PSA - Crossfire Users - Do not upgrade to 16.12.1 ReLive Edition ☠☠☠☠

savagebeastzero

Hey AMD Support Forum users,

I just wanted to attempt to save Crossfire users some headache by posting this PSA, which I wish I would have gotten this out to you all sooner and I apologize that it took me so long to complete my tests on differing systems to ensure my data was correct. I hope there weren't too many Crossfire users that were affected by the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package Crossfire compatibility issues thus far.

Anyways, I highly recommend that all Crossfire users disregard the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package until a hotfix is distributed, as there are currently far too many compatibility issues at the moment as seen below. Although I know it may appear tempting due to the multitude of features contained in it, many of them simply aren't displayed or are rendered useless due to Core Clocks being locked at the lowest stepping (EX: 300Mhz) and also not engaging proper PCI-E modes, thus your frame rate/frame timing will suffer and incredibly badly at that, so even though ReLive itself has the lowest over head of all recording/streaming software to date, with the resources being improperly set creating an artificial limitation, ReLive itself cannot function properly.

I've already contacted the software creators of all affected third party overclocking utilities, as well as all monitoring software creators, so they can begin their troubleshooting measures. I only contacted them a short time ago, directly after I completed my tests. Thus, it may take a few days, possibly a week or slightly more for them to release a patch. Expect them to await a Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 (hotfix) driver to remedy the issues which can only be corrected on AMD's side before they begin their work as well. So once again, I highly recommend you either wait to upgrade to a Radeon ReLive package after it is patched or revert back to your previous driver package to avoid or limit your frustrations that you may have already encountered.

Crossfire Users affected by the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package bugs: All "Compatible" Affected Crossfire Configurations Listed Below

AMD Desktop Product Family Compatibility
      Radeon™ RX 400 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series Graphics
      AMD Radeon™ Pro DuoAMD Radeon™ R7 200 Series Graphics
      AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R5 300 Series Graphics
      AMD Radeon™ R9 Nano Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ R5 200 Series Graphics
      AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ HD 8500 - HD 8900 Series Graphics
      AMD Radeon™ R9 200 Series GraphicsAMD Radeon™ HD 7700 - HD 7900 Series Graphics

Crossfire users will encounter the bugs listed below using Radeon ReLive 16.12.1

• When in Crossfire mode, primary GPU (#1) intermittently shifts from PCI-E 3.0x16 @16.1.1 - 16.1.2 and does not maintain 16.1.2 under load. The Primary GPU will revert instantly back to PCI-E 3.0x16 @16.1.1. This behavior is also represented in other PCI-E Generations/Modes.
      • When in Crossfire mode, Secondary, tertiary and quaternary GPU's do not engage and are stuck in PCI-E 3.0x16 @16.1.1. This behavior is also represented in other PCI-E Generations/Modes.
      • Registry settings, such as disabling "EnableULPS (0)" has norelevent effect when using 16.12.1 ReLive Edition in Crossfire mode, as Core Clocks are locked in lowest available core clock step (EX: 300Mhz).
      • Radeon Chill is not currently compatible with crossfire configurations and will not be displayed in the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 interface.
      • MSI Afterburner and other overclocking utilities are not currently compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package.
      • When using third party overclocking utilities and enabling an overclock, your changes will not take place. Instead they will be locked to the lowest Core Clock step such as 300Mhz.
      • Multiple third party in game monitoring tools are currently not compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package and will display incorrect data and/or visual corruption.
      • RivaTunerStatisticsServer is not fully compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package.
      • Open Hardware Monitor is not fully compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package and may display incorrect data.
      • AIDA64 is not fully compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package.
      • GPU-Z displays incorrect data and is unreliable when using the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package.
      • Wattman settings not properly applying (Only custom fan settings appear to work properly).
      • ReLive not operating properly in game or desktop recording mode (Only screenshots appear to work properly).
      • Overlay monitor not working properly and/or displays intermittently, then closes.

If you truly cannot wait to use Radeon ReLive Edition 16.12.1 and the features it contains without issues, you must disable Crossfire system wide and utilize a single card configuration until a hotfix is issued to correct the Crossfire issues plaguing Radeon ReLive Edition 16.12.1.

I will be updating this further, but thought that I've already displayed enough bugs to deter Crossfire users from downloading and installing the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package for the time being and wanted to get this posted as soon as possible. Once again, I highly recommend that you await a Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package (Hotfix) driver to remedy the issues before upgrading as in its current state the risks most definitely outweigh the rewards for Crossfire users.

****Updating and editing in progress, have a nice day.****

• Re: ☠☠☠☠ PSA - Crossfire Users - Do not upgrade to 16.12.1 ReLive Edition ☠☠☠☠
          chiggs

Thanks for the post. As a Crossfire user, I'm glad I read it. Too bad I already updated. This plus the lack of functional VSR is pretty frustrating.

• Re: ☠☠☠☠ PSA - Crossfire Users - Do not upgrade to 16.12.1 ReLive Edition ☠☠☠☠
              savagebeastzero

Hey chiggs,

Sorry to hear you updated prior to seeing the post. Glad to hear it at lent credence the issues you were experiencing. I totally understand that it's frustrating, especially when such fantastic features were added that were desired for years. Yet, I look at it this way. Yes, it's frustrating at the moment, but at least the AMD driver team has (in my case) gained my faith over the past few years that this will be resolved for Crossfire users quickly. Now of course, I don't have privileged information, but I'll even go as far to say, likely by early next week considering how quickly they've created hotfixes to anything that was considered "crippling" to a substantial user base.

So, hopefully we'll get a resolution soon, so we can experience these features that have been requested for so many years. I think it might have been pushed out a touch early to launch in parallel with the New Horizon event on the 13th of December, so there's even more for them to broadcast to the media and I honestly can't say that I blame them, as I would have done the same if I was in their position. Especially considering techs that have tested it using single card configurations, have documented that it has an incredibly low overhead, averaging no more than 2%. Considering that outclasses Nvidia's Shadowplay by a fairly substantial amount and these figures come from graphics heavy titles that generally drop frames by much more when recording, it's an amazing feat.

So, I'll be the first to admit, it is disheartening as a Crossfire user that we have to wait to use ReLive, but hopefully not for long. I'm just happy to know that they've finally presented AMD users with such a substantial update, that we'll all eventually benefit from in multiple ways.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              naxirian

I am running triple monitors on an R9 290X Crossfire configuration and after upgrading to 16.12.1 (sadly I did not see this post first) I am experiencing flickering lines across all 3 monitors. This did not happen before I upgraded the drivers. I'm assuming this is something to do with the clocks being locked? The flickering only occurs when I have an application open like Steam, or Chrome. When it's idling on a desktop with no applications running it doesn't happen.

*EDIT* Turning Crossfire off prevents the flickering lines. It only occurs in Crossfire mode.

jakslap

These Drivers are seriously broken the issues i am facing are.

1. MSI Afterburner Crashing, Bluescreen and artifacting

2. Fan profile doesn't work in wattman

3. Recording destroys FPS

4. using Re-Live to record audio must be set to 48000.

5. Yep and today GPU-Z hard locked my PC, a problem i have not experienced since My r9 280x days.

So basically by me updating to these broken drivers, i lost all my msi afterburnner settings and fan curve, which i had set perfect my R9 390x never when over 65 degrees while gaming, and have to lower my sound card settings. i think we are in for a crappy road ahead i dont see these issues getting fixed any time soon.

Sorry i know this thread is about Cross fire issues, but i know your actively involved in the community so maybe you can spread some light.

ray_m

Thanks for taking the time to open this discussion.

Rest assured, this important information has already reached software dev.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    fragment

Crossfire users will encounter the bugs listed below using Radeon ReLive 16.12.1

• "When in Crossfire mode, primary GPU (#1) intermittently shifts from PCI-E 3.0x16 @16.1.1 - 16.1.2 and does not maintain 16.1.2 under load. The Primary GPU will revert instantly back to PCI-E 3.0x16 @16.1.1. This behavior is also represented in other PCI-E Generations/Modes."

Can't confirm the behaviour. GPU-Z switches seamlessly between all three revision rates (1.1 / 2.0 / 3.0) for me depending on load; the problem may be caused by Windows 10 WDDM though. -> Don't use it, try Windows 7 or 8 and see if the problem still persists. When in Crossfire mode, Secondary, tertiary and quaternary GPU's do not engage and are stuck in PCI-E 3.0x16 @16.1.1. This behavior is also represented in other PCI-E Generations/Modes.

• "Registry settings, such as disabling "EnableULPS (0)" has norelevent effect when using 16.12.1 ReLive Edition in Crossfire mode, as Core Clocks are locked in lowest available core clock step (EX: 300Mhz)."

Can't confirm the behaviour, I was fully able to disable ULPS via the RadeonMod Registry Tool; my clocks are at performance levels during fullscreen rendering.

Games tested: Fallout 4, GTA V, BF 1, BF 4, Furmark, 3DMark Firestrike, Diablo 3, Deus Ex:Human Revolution, Hitman

• "Radeon Chill is not currently compatible with crossfire configurations and will not be displayed in the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 interface."

Can confirm!

• "MSI Afterburner and other overclocking utilities are not currently compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package."

N/A - I never used 3rd party tools to overclock - I do mod the BIOS directly; yet a quick check with my old installed v4.3.0 (which I don't use though) showed that I could change clocks effectively

• "When using third party overclocking utilities and enabling an overclock, your changes will not take place. Instead they will be locked to the lowest Core Clock step such as 300Mhz."

N/A - see above; also problem #2 maybe related to this... obviously

• "Multiple third party in game monitoring tools are currently not compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package and will display incorrect data and/or visual corruption."

Can confirm that OBS Studio 64bit and XSplit Broadcaster work without problems

• "RivaTunerStatisticsServer is not fully compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package."

N/A - not tested yet, what functionality doesn't work for you? I can test that pretty quickly

• "Open Hardware Monitor is not fully compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package and may display incorrect data."

N/A - not tested

• "AIDA64 is not fully compatible with the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package."

N/A - not tested

• "GPU-Z displays incorrect data and is unreliable when using the Radeon ReLive 16.12.1 package."

Can't confirm; for me the behaviour is the same as before. Readings are/seem correct.Tested with the games mentioned in an above answer.

• "Wattman settings not properly applying (Only custom fan settings appear to work properly)."

N/A - I have GCN 1.0

• "ReLive not operating properly in game or desktop recording mode (Only screenshots appear to work properly)."

N/A - Didn't test this yet, will edit post after testing; yet I have tested the streaming mode, and this works in Crossfire without issue.

Tested in Battlefield 1

• "Overlay monitor not working properly and/or displays intermittently, then closes."

N/A - Not tested yet

I am running 270X 2GB Crossfire on W7 64bit

Some of the problems may be related to Windows 10 WDDM!

rkok

what a P.O.S update ... as usual.

Not only does Chill not work with crossfire ... I cannot even record videos AT ALL.

Disabling crossfire takes forever before you can re-launch Crimson again. Enabling crossfire literally freezes the display forcing me to restart the PC.

I can't even set voltage settings to manual mode to apply any tweaks to it .. doing this reboots the entire machine, so i am forced to use automatic voltage settings.

whats the point of this driver update? so that i can ReLive all the bad experience with bad drivers from the days of windows xp ???

come on AMD .. we are in the 21st century now. Windows 10.  loads of test frameworks out there. VS2015 ... the list goes on .. how  hard is it to use all these tools and perform proper testing before you release garbage out to consumers?

mrrare

I am not running in crossfire or anything, but I am in a more unusual situation due to the eGpu setup that I am running. I am experiencing a lot of the above mentioned issues as well. Especially that locking on the lowest frequency. PCI is never going to go above gen 2 x1 speeds, but thats due to mpcie limitations... never had issues regarding that tho. Anyway... time to revert back to the old driver... sigh....

christophermariotti

Hello. I have a crossfire of RX 480 and the second gpu does not maintain the custom fan profile made by wattman. This causes a drop in the clock and high temperature due to low fan rotation.

colesdav

Hi,

I am running a pair of R9 Nanos on Window 8.1 64Bit and Crossfire looks to be o.k. for me.

I am able to record Video using ReLive (I recorded the Tom Clancy Benchmark) o.k.

The FPS was a little lower than usually see but I put that down to the overhead of running a recording during the benchmark.

I looked at Chill and indeed it is not enabling for Crossfire.

I tested Chill with Crossfire off and it looks fine.

I have been running a number of titles in Crossfire during testing.

One title I have trouble with is Battlefield 1 in the sense that Crossfire will not enable at all, but I saw the same behaviour in previous 16.11.5 driver.

I also looked at trying to run Crossfire in the same PC but using Windows 10.

I did see issues.

BF1 was crashing when  I tried to launch with some Crossfire profiles set.

Not seen that for a while.

Hope that info helps.

Bye.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                colesdav

I just ran Crossfire on Crysis 3 in Windows 64 bit and I am seeing some serious flicker with the ReLive Driver.

So something is wrong with that title at least.

I hard set my PCIe Lanes to Gen 3.0 in the BIOS for my motherboard.

Anyhow I will roll back my Drivers for now to 16.11.5 until I hear any more.

naxirian

You are aware that on Battlefield 1, Crossfire and SLI do not function at all whilst in DirectX 12 mode yes? This is not down to AMD or Nvidia, in DirectX 12 titles it is down to the developer themselves to code multi-GPU support. This is true of all DirectX 12 titles.

colesdav

Yes I am aware that in DX12 mode Crossfire does not function.

I tested Crossfire in Windows 10 by setting Advanced -> DX11.
                                        In Windows 8.1  64Bit, Battlefield 1 should only run in DX11. I could not get Crossfire to start in any setting.
                                        I tried Default, AFR Friendly, Optimize 1x1, AFR Compatible, AMD-Predefined profile.
                                        Crossfire will not start for me on Battlefield 1, in Crimson ReLive.
                                        I had the same issue in 16.11.5 (Which I only tested in Windows 8.1 64bit) .

I am testing the Trial Version of Battlefield 1 at the moment. It is supposed to have full function of full game.
                                        I will not purchase it if no Crossfire Support.

Thanks.

naxirian

Crossfire works perfectly in Battlefield 1 under DirectX 11 on the older drivers, I haven't tried it with the ReLive ones. I removed them immediately after installing and rolled back to the 16.11.5 drivers.

colesdav

OK

Thanks for the reply.  I am glad it is working for you on your system.

It is not working for me, and at least one other person on the forum.

Stickling to the topic of Windows 8.1 64bit.

I was a Battlefield 1 Beta Tester. I did test Battlefield one on the same setup I have here on earlier AMD driver.

I was able to turn on Crossfire in Battlefield 1 Beta Test.

It gave some texture flicker and did not provide any performance scaling at the time for me but it was Beta, and it was good to see AMD working on it with DICE.

I recently downloaded an tested the Battlefield 1 Trial Version through Origin Vault Access in response to someone on this forum complaining they were unable to turn on Crossfire.

So, in short, something is wrong somewhere for some PC Systems.

I filed an AMD report.

Cheers.

colesdav

I just went to look to see on the BF1 forum if anyone is reporting Issues with Crossfire.

There are issues reported.

A number of people are simply turning on Borderless Full Screen or turning Crossfire off completely in Radeon Settings.

I have pointed them to AMD issue reporting Form, and this forum thread.

I have also asked if Crossfire is disabled in Origin Access Trial for some reason.

naxirian

If you are not running a game in fullscreen mode then to my knowledge Crossfire will not function.

This may have been changed but it was always the case that Crossfire would not function in windowed or borderless windowed mode, only in fullscreen mode. This was the case across all games. I actually found it quite irritating because SLI continues to function in borderless windowed mode, and I came to AMD from having previously run an Nvidia SLI system.

colesdav

Yes, Crossfire only works in Full Screen mode. I pointed that out to people on the EA Forum regarding Battlefield 1.

I really do not know what is going on with the Battlefield 1 EA Support Forum.

It looks like a people are reporting issues or questions regarding  Crossfire on BattleField1 and are being told, as the "Correct Answer" to their problem

to either turn off Crossfire or use Borderless Full Screen mode ... which turns it off anyhow.

They are also being told that "Traditionally Crossfire /SLI does not work with Battlefield series".

I have suggested BF1 Crossfire users file an AMD Report Issue, as far as I know the above is not a "Correct Answer".

I don't know about SLI and Nvidia because I only have 1 Nvidia 780Ti which I bought to look at  "CUDA", and just to look at an Nvidia card to compare to my AMD cards.

I do know that Battlefield 4, for example, which I purchased to look at Mantle performance originally, runs great for me in Crossfire on my HD7970/R9280x on DX11. I even have the benchmarking Videos available on Plays.TV to prove it.

Battlefield 4 looks to be running great on my R9 Nanos as well, even on the AMD Crimson ReLive Driver. More on that later maybe.

I asked on the EA Forum about Origin Access: Trial Version: Battlefield 1. The Questions = Does it support Crossfire? . Is Crossfire disabled on the Trial Version? 

I got access to Battlefield 1 to try to help someone on this AMD Forum who was asking about not being able to turn on Crossfire at all.
                                                          I am unable to switch on Crossfire at all on the Trial version in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. Using any Crossfire Profile.
                                                          The only answer I got so far is?

Yes you guessed it

"Traditionally Crossfire /SLI does not work with Battlefield series"
                                                          Talk to Drivers people.
                                                          So here I am.

Again I am only looking at Battlefield 1 and Crossfire out of interest to test my R9 Nanos and to help someone else out on this forum.

The game looks really fantastic by the way. I actually pushed in and tested some early stages of the game to see if maybe Crossfire was enabled
                                                          pst the initial game cutyscenes and play. No it is not for me.
                                                          I predict it will be on lots of peoples shopping wish list for Christmas.
                                                          But even with 1 R9 Nano, which is normally a pretty expensive card, it cannot maintain 60FPS with all
                                                          graphics maxed out. It needs additional card in Crossfire.

Cue the thought "if Crossfire  works well, then maybe BF1 players might buy an additional card just to run it..."
                                                          Also cue the thought, if Crossfire works on AMD but not on Nvidia then that's likely RX480 from Santa instead of an Nvidia card.

So I am pretty stumped as to why I cannot get Crossfire to enable with a pair of R9 Nanos using 16.11.5 or Crimson ReLive Edition on

the Trial Version of Battlefield 1, definitely a "AAA" title on Origin Access.

Cheers.

kxuping

Will test and report back. At least the benchmarks I run with 16.12.1 had the same results within margin of error compared to 16.10.1 in Quadfire.

smoke165

Did not even read this post before upgrading, but just thought myself: Nope. Don't trust AMD with such a wonder-package. Just installed Crimson, left out the whole relive-installation and as always I don't even touch the AMD-Overclocking tab in Crimson to keep it deactivated.

No problems so far (or better said: Only the problems I have since Crimson is released.)

Running Xfire with 2 Asus 7970 Matrix Platinum.

Loads of people having trouble since Crimson-Release with random Black-Screens which need hard resets, for me especially when I'm in-game "idling" (atm for example when playing Witcher 3 and staying in the game-menu for longer periods like the inventory, or just a round of GWENT), and then I shall trust AMD with this Chill-Feature? lol

Though I was able to succesfully disable ULPS via the registry. For whatever reason I had to restart the computer twice before the setting worked though, but now everything is ok. PCIe-States switch properly for me, (idle PCIe 3.0x16@ x8 1.1 and on load @x8 3.0) 3d-Clocks (Stock and/or OC'd) stick and work. So I guess you might be able to upgrade, but should leave out the ReLive installation.

kxuping

The game that I play the most now is F1 2016, on that particular game Crimson relive fixed the V-sync Crossfire problem that was present since the release of the game. I now can play with vsync enabled and Crossfire. I dont have fps number from previous drivers.

On Catzilla, 3Dmark (Firestrike ultimate, ultra, normal, timespy), Unigine Heaven and valley I have comparable results with previous drivers.

This weekend I will try other games.

noext

16.12.2 => crossfire option is now missing , amd fixed all bugs ezpz

naxirian

Just as an update, my dual R9 290X system under Windows 10 works fine now with the 16.12.2 driver. I can't speak for the idle fans issue on the second card because both of my GPU's are on a custom waterloop so that wouldn't affect me at all, however I still can't overclock the cards using 3rd party applications without a black screen upon restarting but I've just come to accept that's never going to get fixed. I doubt AMD care about the old 290X cards anymore. I would have thought the simple solution to that problem would have been an option to completely disable AMD Overdrive like there used to be, but that option does not appear to exist in Crimson.

depthcharger04

I also got bsod while playing Overwatch in crossfire. BSOD code 0x07E atikmdag.sys
                                                        It s been happening ever since i installed relive. how i do know this. when i disabled crossfire profile  while playing overwatch no bsod

anybody else had this issue?

my gpus r 7970 & R9 280x both r compatible with each other

colesdav

Hi,

I have been away from this forum for a while.

I was just chasing up / reading this post.
                                                          I have just completed extensive testing of Crossfire on Radeon Software Version 17.1.2. on Windows 8.1 64Bit.
                                                          I tested on i7-4770K, Two R9 Nanos in Crossfire on Asus Z87 Deluxe Dual Motherboard.
                                                          It seems to me like Crossfire is working very well in the 17.1.2. Beta Driver.
                                                          In addition, Frame Pacing and Frame Rate Target Control seem to have been fixed for me.
                                                          I have been able to run Titles like Battlefield 4 and Titanfall at 4K Resolution @ 60FPS on Maximum Graphics Settings with
                                                          Frame Pacing and Frame Rate Target Control switched on for hours.
                                                          ReLive recording is working really well for me.
                                                          I think this is pretty impressive.

I just found out today (Not via Crimson Software Update Notifcation ... but that's another post to follow) that the WHQL version of 17.1.2. was released. I will be testing the WHQL driver next on the same machine and on an i7-4970K,   HD7970/R9280x Crossfire setup.

Have you completed any testing on Relive 17.1.2 Beta yourself?
                                                          Did you get an automatic notification of the WHQL 17.1.2. Driver?

There were definitely issues with Crossfire on Crimson ReLive, which was a major update to Crimson itself.
                                                          These updates clearly introduced some bugs affecting Crossfire.
                                                          However, it seems, for me at least, the AMD Drivers Team have really done an excellent job on the 17.1.2 Beta Driver with R9 Nanos at least.

Understood I am only one data point. But perhaps others on this post may have more updates / feedback?

If this issue has been fixed in 17.1.2 Drivers for most people on other cards, then perhaps this post should be updated?

Thanks.

colesdav

Hi,

I just installed the WHQL 17.1.2. Driver.
                                                              On initial boot up following any AMD driver installation I run PC Checks and then 3D Mark Firestrike
                                                              as a starter for 10.
                                                              Here is the result with I7-4770K  and 2 R9 Nanos in Crossfire.
                                                              I hit 18,704, reported as better than 97% of all results.
                                                              I have been able to score higher than this on the 17.1.2. Beta Driver, but I did some fine tuning to
                                                              overclocking and cooling setup/settings to hit the higher score. This is just my first pass result, "no brainer" result.   
                                                              This initial WHQL 17.1.2. Driver Result indicates Crossfire is running well with the WHQL 17.1.2. Driver.

Thats all from me for today.