7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2017 7:12 PM by owen41560

Global Wattman is not showing more fan settings

keiser

I just recently downloaded the latest Drivers as well as the Radeon ReLive. I noticed that when I opened up MSI afterburner, the overclocks had been reset so I opened up the Global wattman settings  to raise them back to what they were before. My fans were getting very loud when trying to play games so I looked into the wattman settings to change the  fan speed, then I noticed that the only fan setting I could change was the minimum, bellow is a screenshot to show what I am talking about. As you can see the only setting that I can move is the minimum. My graphics card is an AMD R9 380X strix. I even completely uninstalled all drivers and AMD software and re-installed it with this exact same problem.

• Re: Global Wattman is not showing more fan settings
          abysmalmonkey

Its not showing temperature controls as well, I have the same problem. I have an R9 380 as well.

owen41560

Same thing here with the  R9 390. Honestly, all I was trying to do was update the driver and expected to get my regular Cat stuff back because it actually worked. My driver was crashing, otherwise I never would have effed with it. I never try to "fix" something unless it's actually broken, due to my headache ATI days with the dll file problems. This update dumped Wattman on me. Little while later, it's cooking at 90 degrees, and the fans aren't moving to cover the increase. Thought I was going to fry my card. Reinstalled and it actually adjusts manually (this time), and I have it at 2100 RPM's which puts temps at 38 C in a 70 degree room. I set it to auto, and pow, 1200 RPM is shown next to the speed, but it still says 2096 current speed, which it isn't, and a temp heading north of 70 degrees, with no games running. "Sweet".

Really annoyed, though. Having to look up this chill switch thing, power limit setting, etc, arggg, and I can't even set a temp range either. WTF

I should look around and get back to the old interface that doesn't try to sound like a superhero.

keiser

Yeah I see what you mean, the wattman won't activate the fans until its very hot and then it kicks it straight to 100% which is really annoying since the fans get really loud. I don't really mind the new software but the moment it starts removing essential features is when things get frustrating. I just want it to work like it used to. I also noticed that the readings don't update very often, you kinda have manually hit the refresh to see current stats which is weird, MSI afterburner was much more simpler (although not as pretty) and actually functioned well, no constant updates and patches.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                jimdogz

Same issue within the software for me. Only able to change minimum fan speed settings and not an actual fan speed curve on the R9 290.

Set minimum fan speed > fan speed locked at given speed > fan speed fluctuates +-100rpm to given speed

No way to set fan speed relative to temperature you have to manually go in turn your fans up before gaming or this thing overheats.

AMD has had many driver issues with this GPU surround fan speed control. Why does only MSI Afterburner correctly control the fan speeds on these family of cards?

Lack of real control of fan speeds has resulted in a lot of cards overheating and being damaged and still continues to do so using the correct software. I hope AMD has some form of update to curve this relentless ongoing problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    owen41560

I like the MSI fan control, but I got a blue screen with it. Even with the previous Catalyst version, the auto fan curve bites. It had a 0 db as a feature (not why I bought it) on the box, which only means the fans don't turn on until you start to stress the card. Well, it goes to 68C when I'm just surfing around. Who thinks of this gimmicky marketing crap. In my global settings, I have it go to 50 percent when it boots Cities Skylines, and the rest of the time, I have it sitting at 35 percent regardless.

jimdogz

Hi  Owen, I like the MSI fan control as well. It the only software I've been able to successfully control the fan speed curve on the R9 290. You say you can control the speed of the fans when you launch certain games? I dont seem to have any option to control the fan speed in this manner. Its Automatic 1200rpm or Manually set which doesnt clock down or up relative to temperature.  I think Global Wattman does work for some family of cards, but not cards like R9 200-300 series they need a custom fan curve to stay properly cool.

owen41560

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. In my earlier posts, I mentioned I went back to the previous Crimson version to somewhat fix my problems. Fan curve still blows, but in the gaming tab it lets me choose the fan speed to go to when I launch it from the Crimson interface. I might try the MSI again on this setup on my next day off and see how it goes. The guys I look to for water block solutions don't seem to care about my card. They told me they have no plans to release one for it. Can't expect them to cover everything, but there are a lot of the ASUS Skrillex cards about there.

crim.PNG