3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 2:59 AM by argulkit

Boot to Black Screen after 16.12.1 - HD 7870

bristlingcormorant

After updating to 16.12.1, it boots to a black screen, and rolling back gets the same result. Only get an image after uninstalling in safe mode with the clean-up utility, and sticking with the generic windows driver. I'm not overclocking, the BIOS is as the factory shipped it. I'm just stumped.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H 

CPU: Intel i7-4770S 

Memory: 16GB 

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 

Driver: Was 16.11.5, now nothing.

I've tried fresh installs, I've tried a fresh install of my old, known good drivers. I don't care about relive at this point, or any of the other features that wouldn't affect my card anyway. Just want the card that was working perfectly fine before the update to be working. Doesn't even need to be perfectly fine. I'll take working poorly, so long as it's working again.

• Re: Boot to Black Screen after 16.12.1 - HD 7870
          eidairaman1

Ensure you have your motherboard chipset driver installer plus the last GPU driver installer that did work for you. Grab Display Driver Uninstaller from Guru3D. Ensure You only have 1 monitor hooked up to the GPU, nothing else. Create a system restore point that is easy to remember. Disable your Ethernet lan Adapter or Wifi Adapter. Run Display Driver Uninstaller with the restart Option. After that install your chipset drivers, Restart, Install GPU drivers, restart, if you have a monitor driver install that too.

What is your power supply?

If all else fails, try to have the thermal compound replaced on the GPU core and also the thermal pads on the memory, VRMs checked.

If still a no go, try a older driver than that such as 16.4.2. After that You may have a failing Power supply, video card, or motherboard.

My system specs are Below:

Seasonic X1250 XM2

Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

AMD FX 8350 @ 5.1GHz

GSkill Ripjaws X 2133 16GB

Sapphire R9 290 VaporX

Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

Crimson Relive 16.12.1.