9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2016 12:24 PM by qwixt

AMD Readies Radeon RX 490 for December?

kingfish

A spectacular rumor doing rounds has AMD sign 2016 off with a new high-end graphics card launch. The company could launch the Radeon RX 490 by the end of the year, according to an Guru3D report. This SKU could either be based on the larger Vega 10 silicon, or be a dual-GPU on a stick graphics card based on a pair of Polaris 10 "Ellesmere" chips. The former seems more likely as multi-GPU support among recent AAA game launches is dwindling. Earlier this year, AMD inadvertently leaked the SKU name Radeon RX 490 on its website.

If the Radeon RX 490 is based on the Vega 10, then it could feature 4,096 stream processors based on the "Vega" architecture, 256 TMUs, 64 ROPs, and a 4096-bit HBM2 memory interface, holding 8 GB or 16 GB of memory, with a memory bandwidth of 512 GB/s. If instead it is a dual-GPU card based on Polaris 10, then you could be looking at 2x 2,304 stream processors, and 16 GB of GDDR5 memory across two 256-bit wide memory interfaces.

AMD Readies Radeon RX 490 for December? | techPowerUp

• Re: AMD Readies Radeon RX 490 for December?
          black_zion

AMD's Radeon RX 490 May Have Appeared In a Benchmark | Digital Trends

That said, the Ashes of the Singularity benchmark seemingly strikes down the possibility that the Radeon RX 490 will utilize two Polaris-based graphics chips, as they would have listed as a dual-GPU solution. Instead, the upcoming card will probably use the Vega 10 variant of AMD’s next-generation design for high-end gaming. AMD was slated to launch its Vega-based cards in the first quarter of 2017, so there’s a good chance the company will live up to that promise by revealing the card(s) next week followed by a retail release at the beginning of January.

savagebeastzero

I really hope that it's a single GPU solution and most data points to it being so. I can't lie, if it's a dual GPU based solution, I'd be pretty frustrated, because I've been waiting to upgrade to Vega for quite some time now and honestly have no interest in a dual Polaris card. Although I'd likely want to Crossfire Vega for benchmarking, work and more, I'd want each GPU to be powerful enough that Crossfire isn't needed when developer support lacks, (as it usually does) and can drive high refresh rates and resolutions with ease. A dual Polaris GPU just wouldn't be powerful enough when in single card mode and once again, I'd be forced to continue using my R9 290x Crossfire setup instead, because there just wouldn't be a viable reason to upgrade.

I can't lie though black_zion kingfish....

If it does launch late December or at virtually any point in January and is a powerful single GPU flagship card, I'd buy it day one, regardless of the price, two if priced competitively enough. Regardless if whether it's a December launch or January, that would make my year, 2016 or 2017.

qwixt

If it's single high end gpu even close to the 1080 in performance or better, then I am buying it day one too.

But after watching all the issues with 400 series cards the past few months, i think it could be a little rough for first adopters.

savagebeastzero

Hey qwixt,

Yeah, there may be growing pains in terms of drivers maturing over time, but overall I'd welcome it nonetheless. I've grown fond of watching driver releases mature, displaying the true potential the cards have. As the cards age over the course of the first, second or more years gaining "free" performance and then comparing latest results to the initial benchmarks is something I find incredibly interesting. Although I totally understand that it might not be the case for everyone. Some like out of box (virtually) unlocked potential, but in my opinion that usually leaves a lot to be desired and only shows the limitations of the architecture.

Either way, I have an itch to upgrade. I miss running new benchmarks, seeing what I can get out of the hardware and doing it all over again, gaining fractions more performance every time. I've kind of reached my limitations with my Crossfire set up. They're overclocked beyond what I ever thought possible and provide a shockingly fantastic experience, even in single card configuration in every game I throw at them for the most part. Yet, I must admit, in single card configuration it's beginning to reach a point where, I'm starting to see I'll soon require more performance to maintain what I consider an acceptable level of performance in future titles. Crossfire is rarely supported properly anymore and 2016 truly became a year that I'll recall that it swiftly died. 

Considering Crossfire is replaced by DX12 Explicit Multi-GPU/Vulkan equivalent, placing control in the hands of developers, it may be years before we see full industry adoption, if at all. So, a single powerful GPU solution would be incredibly welcome until that comes to fruition. I need a few months where I don't have to worry about whether or not Crossfire is supported, because in 2016 Crossfire just didn't get any love.