11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2016 1:29 PM by redfury

Second Monitor not recognized after driver update

muffuah

Updated to latest driver.  Now system won't recognize second monitor.  I uninstalled and used DDU as suggested in different post.  I also read post suggesting that the problem was because second monitor no longer needed to be connected to second Vid Card.  My monitors are both connected via hdmi and there isn't a second hdmi connection available on the cards.  I did restore the system to an earlier point and both monitors worked as expected.  I lose some settings that I'd like to keep if I keep the system as restored, so I'd like to correct the current installation if possible.  Anybody have any ideas?

• Re: Second Monitor not recognized after driver update
          redfury

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Try to disconnect your second monitor before driver update.Then uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode   Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers  Install latest driver>reboot and plug second monitor.

muffuah

AMD Saphire DualX R9 270X

Desktop

Windows 10-64

Driver- (Via Device Manager)- 21.19.164.257

Driver- (Via AMD)-  Crimson 16.11.5

Monitor 1- HP V272- HDVI- 1920x1080  (3840x1080 with 2 monitors)

Monitor 2- HP V272- HDVI- 1920x1080

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1400 MHz

Core Clock - 1070 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 179 GByte/s

==========================

Motherboard- MSI X99s SLI Plus

CPU- i7 5820K 6 Core @3.30 GHz

Power Supply- Thermaltake that is more than I need and costs Way too much. 1200 watts (?)

Ram- 64 GBytes- DDR4- 1066 MHz

==========================

I think original post sufficiently  described my issue, though I will mention that I don't use this machine for games.  It is meant for photos, design and video work. 

redfury

Just try to do exactly what i suggested you.

muffuah

Yeah, that last post was cut-and-pasted; forgot to include that I did what you suggested.  I have tried several times, actually.  Didn't work- that's why I included the computer info.

Thanks

redfury

Are you physically lost your monitor? What have you in device manager(Monitors)? Show me a picture and check Radeon settings>Eyefinity/Display(make a picture too)

muffuah

From the device manager: Prob1.jpg

From "Eyefinity: Prob3.jpg

Another Pic:  Prob2.jpg

I have others but I don't think they'll be helpful.  Let me repeat:  Both monitors were working; I installed the new drivers, only one was detected; restored back to previous "Restore Point"- Both monitors worked as expected; Got your reply, reinstalled the new drivers, same issue, tried your suggestion several times to no avail; Tried to restore again, Restore Point no longer available.  I'm stuck now... Looking for the original disk.  BTW: When I re-install the drivers, there are several times that the second monitor displays.  What's with the "Waiting to be Moderated" thing?

redfury

I didn't know that you have two cards.My instruction was oriented on one card + two monitors.

Did you tried to hook your second monitor to card 1? (just to check that it is working normally)

Is your crossfire working right now? (GPU-Z can detect it)

Try to use one DVI(or DP) to HDMI adapter to use both monitors on card 1

muffuah

I imagine the crossfire is working- these cards have only been in use less than 2 months.  So, you think the resolution is to buy a cable?  I'd like them to work as they did initially.  They were working-I installed the update-they quit working-something is wrong with the drivers-I'd like to "repair" whatever the new drivers did.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  If not, I'll buy a couple of Nvidia cards and sell these to someone else.

redfury

"I imagine the crossfire is working" -are you imagine or it is really working AFTER driver update?

Did you tried to hook your second monitor to card 1? (just to check that it is working normally)?

"So, you think the resolution is to buy a cable?" -i suggested to you just check some variants, to understand what going on in your system.

muffuah

Is Crossfire working after driver update?    Sorry- CrossFire- was thinking fire-wire- was tired.  YES- the CrossFire is working, or more accurately, it is capable of working. I say that because when I recovered back to the previous Restore Point, all was well again.  Also, as I said, each time I reinstalled the drivers,  the second monitor displayed several times during the process.  During those times, I know that it displayed correctly because my background is one that spans both monitors.  Now, it *is* possible that crossfire is Not working, but if not, it's because the DRIVERS have done something to prevent its working.

Did I hook the second monitor to the first card to check the monitor and cable?    Yes, of course.

Your Suggestions were meant to check the various components of my system in the hope that you might understand what's going on with the system. ***Jiminy Cricket- Please forget about the hardware- I'm trying to resolve a SOFTWARE issue.  IT'S THE D-R-I-V-E-R-S!

Let's try this:  When I first installed the cards, I had to follow a procedure- I don't remember what that was, but maybe I had to start with a single card, then add the second one and the Crossfire cable, maybe it was that I had to install the drivers before any hardware... I Don't Remember.  Can anybody tell me what that procedure was?  Maybe I can follow it and basically "Start Over".

Too bad AMD doesn't offer any support for their hardware- maybe they could have corrected this many days ago.  As you're reading this, I'm searching the internet- Nvidia might be in my near future.  I seriously thank you for your time though.