6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2016 1:21 AM by paulftn

Bought 2 Radeon R9 Nano cards. Do I need a crossfire cable to run them in crossfire ?

paulftn

Configuring   , 2- R9 Nano cards in Crossfire .

Do I need a Crossfire cable to set them up in crossfire ?

Dell Precision T 7910

2x Intel E5 2650 10 core 2.3 Ghz HT Turbo

192 GB Ram 2133

2x1TB

2x4TB

• Re: Bought 2 Radeon R9 Nano cards. Do I need a crossfire cable to run them in crossfire ?
          black_zion

No, they do Crossfire automatically over PCIe, no cable is needed.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • Re: Bought 2 Radeon R9 Nano cards. Do I need a crossfire cable to run them in crossfire ?
              paulftn

Thank You so much for that piece of information.

I tried to find it , but was not able to locate it anywhere .

Also , if you might know , My grandson has a Radeon Fury X card in his computer , if I add a Nano card to his , does it require a Bridge to run in crossfire ?

Thank You ,

colesdav

No Crossfire bridge is needed to Crossfire the R9 Fury X or R9 Fury Cards with R9 Nano.
                  I have just  crossfired a pair of R9 Nanos and I am currently testing performance.

Send me a message if you need any help.

More details below if you are interested.

Cheers.

I just bought a second hand PowerColor  R9 Nano for an eGPU project. I am about to connect it to my laptop via thunderbolt and use it to drive an external display initially. I will then be looking at using AMD XConnect Technology with the R9 Nano at a later date.

I tested the PowerColor R9 Nano card in my PC. It is such an impressive card I was so amazed by the performance of it. It performs better than a a pair of crossfired HD7970 / R9280x OC edition cards that cost twice as much as the R9 Nano. It is so tiny it fits in an external thunderbolt enclosure so making an eGPU is very easy from a mechanical / connectivity standpoint at least. It is still smaller than anything from NVIDIA at the same performance level.

I was thinking to purchase a second hand R9 Fury X but saw that Amazon were selling new XFX R9 Nanos at the same price as a new aftermarket XFX/Sapphire RX480 OC edition cards.

The R9 Nano outperforms any RX480 released yet, so far as I know.

In addition I think aftermarket watercooler blocks could be used to get the Nano perform at the ~ exactly the same level as an R9 Fury X but I will need to do some more investigation.

There are some differences in the voltage regulator on the R9 FuryX versus the Nano , but I think the additional Voltage Regulators may be needed for the Watercooling Pump on the R9 Fury X. The GPU on the Fury X might have been binned out for performance as well, so the GPU on FuryX may be inherently faster than the same GPU on Nano. Again I am not certain.

To cut a long story short. I bought another R9 Nano. A new XFX R9 Nano from Amazon. I have two. I am Crossfiring now

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      paulftn

Oh Hey ,

Thanks so much for that information.

I tried to find out on the AMD site , but no luck finding it .

I bought my Grandson one of those Alienware computers for Xmas and that new Samsung 4K monitor 28 inch.

It has that i7 six core processor , 16 gig ram and an SSD system drive . It comes with a Fury X in it .

So , I was thinking that I might keep an eye out for a deal on a Nano card to install in it so he can get full 4K out of that monitor.

I have had to research all this stuff as best I can. This whole Windows system thing and gaming is new to me .

I know high end audio and video , thats it , and most of that is all on a Mac .

This new Windows workstation I bought is my first venture back into windows after a 12 year absence .

Thanks for your help .

colesdav

Hey ... I just noticed your System spec is a Pair of Xeons ...

2x Intel E5 2650 10 core 2.3 Ghz HT Turbo

192 GB Ram 2133

2x1TB

2x4TB

This is very interesting to me for 2 reasons.

1. Tom Clancy "The Division " performance on more cores than an i7-4770K. - Do you have that Game and if so could you share benchmark data with me?

2. My next Intel build needs to be a Workstation that can run Xeon Phi based Multiprocessing. - Any advice?

Cheers.

paulftn

Hey ,

I'm the guy you don't won't to ask ,, LOL

I do research on things before I buy them as best as I can.

I never played a computer game in my life .

Though , as I said in the other post , I bought my Grandson that Alienware gaming computer.

What I have done , is put together very high end audio workstations and video stations for commercial use .

I carry that experience with me , then try to find out what I don't know , then read up on it .

The new workstation I just bought is a massive system for my own video editing needs .

Then I also bought the wife a Vive system for Xmas and will let her use my computer for that .

From what I can tell , Gaming is exactly like high end Audio production fundamentally in it's system configuration process .

As they say , your only as strong as your weakest link.

Since most games do not use Hyper Threading , having multicores is a waste .

Then there is the 4K issue where most cards won't do actual 4K sustained at 60 Hz .

So , There are plenty of issues to consider before making a move into more power .

The one thing I've figured out so far , about gaming , or Virtual reality , is that the Video card trumps everything else .

Spend all you money on buying the best Video card you can .

Then , get a fast i7 , 4 core and 16 gig of ram with an SSD system drive , then your done for a while .

Processor cores will only come into play when there is a software written to use those cores .

There is some math as to how those cores actually speed up the computing process when engaged , but you have to have a program that can

engage the use of all those cores .

AMD verses Nvidia

There are basically two choices out here .

I chose AMD as my horse to ride.

Here is where we get to the weakest link deal.

AMD cards are basically a system rather than just a card .

I bought the Free Sync monitor so the card can lock into it , and regulated frame rates .

Then , I will use the VR software as well as their system software to formulate a cohesive flow .

Then my system will work as good as it can , and hopefully the drivers will insure a smooth running system .

I did buy my grandson the Tom Clancy , RainbowSix game for Xmas .

I'm not much on running benchmarks , something either works or it doesn't in my world .

Now , I am more interested in this new VR system than Gaming.

But , either way , I hope I can configure this new system to run smooth no matter what it plays .

I'm just getting my feet wet on the Windows thing , so I'm not very savvy at it yet .

1 of 1 people found this helpful