2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2016 12:37 AM by black_zion

Apple’s Bootcamp audio driver can permanently damage the speakers on the new MacBook Pro

kingfish

""For the past 11 years, Apple has offered formal support for installing Windows on a Macintosh running OS X via its Boot Camp Assistant software. If you need Windows on a Macintosh and don’t want to use virtualization software to run it, Boot Camp will resize your hard drive partition to create a new Windows volume and ships with its own set of drivers for your underlying hardware. Apple tends to aggressively prune support for older operating systems — Boot Camp 6.1, which shipped with macOS 10.12 (Sierra), only supports Windows 10 — but Cupertino’s QA team clearly screwed up its compatibility testing, even with just one operating system to evaluate. Multiple customers who purchased one of Apple’s new MacBook Pros are reporting that the default Boot Camp audio driver can permanently damage the system’s speakers.""

Article > Apple's Bootcamp audio driver can permanently damage the speakers on the new MacBook Pro - ExtremeTech

• Re: Apple’s Bootcamp audio driver can permanently damage the speakers on the new MacBook Pro

When I worked as a shopman selling Apple computers ten years ago, I always embraced a question, why people spent so a lot on some a computer like Apple Macintosh, but asked me to install Windows for them. I could never understand then and now. And I dislike put Windows onto Apple Macintosh. If you read my works on Wikipedia.org on the OS X, such as this table, macOS — Wikipedia . You would understand how much I love Apple. I appreciate the design of their hardware, their Operating System, and the most important thing that I love most is the whole Macintosh system. Without it, the Apple Computer running on Windows, would presents just a poor customised machine, no matter for its hardware configuration or performance. Frankly, Microsoft Windows is not a perfect OS.

The current Macintosh products, especially based purely on Intel chips, have already proved not that competitive if without installing and running macOS. The obvious reasons are that the comparatively poor GPU performance, and high price. The apps for iOS could not work on macOS too! And the most headache thing to Apple seems like the entire Macintosh product lines are led by Intel rather than themselves. Intel never released Apple specific processors for their Macintosh computers, they just provide them with the normal ones, which other computers could also have chances to use for their OEM computers. This thing turns to be ugly. In another post on this forum of mine, If Apple Deploys AMD Processors for Their Macintosh... , I suggest AMD to designed a special processor for Apple. That might open up the doors to break down the Intel only Macintosh curse. With Apple specific processors from AMD, Apple could regain the fames when in the days using PowerPC processors, SPECIAL and MYSTERIOUS!

AMD is great, they successfully extend the legend of x86 processors, and present them onto today's 64-bit computing age.  So I also believe it is the time for AMD to get back to its own place, to support Apple for their future products.

• Re: Apple’s Bootcamp audio driver can permanently damage the speakers on the new MacBook Pro
            black_zion

Most of me is surprised Apple even covers the damage, after they did their best to not cover the iPhone damages...