AnsweredAssumed Answered

Zen Platform Not Supporting Windows 7?

Question asked by nec_v20 on Nov 30, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 by kxuping

If it is true that the Zen platform will not be supporting Windows 7 as I have been hearing then that is extremely short sighted.

Even after a year and a half of the rubbish which is Windows 10 the numbers don't speak for it:

The percentage of users of the various Windows OS variants as of now:

1 Windows 7 52.32%

2 Windows 10 33.31

3 Windows 8/8.1 14.35%

Even giving it away the majority don't want it and many who have it only do so because it came installed on a new computer. Win10 is so bad that computer companies forced Microsoft to bundle in a "downgrade" to Win7. I have spent a lot of my time getting rid of Win10 on people's computers and replacing it with Win7.

So the number of 33.31% of Win10 users might actually be flattering, with the number of people who were forced to use Win10 reverting to Win7 but still being counted as Win10 users.

Are AMD seriously planning to kiss 50% of potential sales of their Zen platform goodbye?

AMD would have to artificially cripple Zen to purposely not work in conjunction with Windows 7 which would be a really bad move.

Personally I was looking forward to building a new system with a Zen APU to upgrade my 7870K system - Silent Grizwald If the Zen platform is crippled to exclude Windows 7 then that is one sale AMD is NOT going to make. I do not think I will be alone in this regard.

Windows 10 has had a year and a half to establish itself and even giving it away it has only found favour with a third of Windows users with many of those users simply having had Win10 forced on them because it came pre-installed on a new system.

It would be very short sighted indeed if AMD went out of its way to alienate over 50% of its target audience.

Outcomes