6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2016 9:50 AM by dilyand.

A8-7600 APU - question/problem regarding frequency & more

dilyand.

Hello,

I've got a few questions about my A8-7600. I've noticed that the maximum frequency it reaches is 3.66 GHz, while its specifications say the turbo is to 3.8 GHz. Is the cause of this the enabled iGPU (integrated graphics)? I'm planning on buying a dedicated GPU and I'd need more power from my CPU for today's games. Will it get unlocked and be able to reach 3.8 GHz once its iGPU is disabled? The iGPU takes some frequency I suppose?

Another question: turning off the iGPU will take some load off the CPU, right? Will its performance increase as it's gonna have its full cache and possibly frequency?Looking forward for some answers!

Regards,

DilyanD.

• Re: A8-7600 APU - question/problem regarding frequency & more
          amdmatt

Yes using the iGPU will use some power and my prevent the APU from reaching the highest boost state. Using a discrete GPU should mitigate this and allow peak possible performance from the APU. Using fast Dual Channel system memory, such as DDR3 2400Mhz will also help boost your performance from the APU.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

This is the hello from Aaron Janagewen,

There is no relationship between the iGPU and the Turbo Burst Frequency. That might be some issues around the operating system, drivers, firmware and so on. iGPU is an independent computing engine in processor core, it does not sacrifice the CPU performance, only sharing the system memory. Using faster supported memory modules and dual channel configurations could slightly improve the whole system performance, but do not expect too much. 

As to the external graphical card, using Radeon R7 based GPU could build up the dual graphical cards system, in other words without needing the disable the iGPU when two are working together. As to other external GPUs, I have no ideas about their working conditions for dual graphical cards mode.

dilyand.

Hello & thanks for replying everyone!

So, you're saying the iGPU is independent from the CPU? What is the cause then? I've got a W10 Pro, drivers up to date. Why do I think it's the temperatures? I had seen forum, some guy had such problem with this APU and when he bought a 3rd party cooler (changed from the stock one that comes with the APU), it got fixed. If that's really the case...I got no money for coolers, so I suppose I'll leave it on 3.66...

By the way, I forgot to mention something else that is very important as well:

The GPU I'm thinking of buying is GTX 1050 Ti (yes, I know CPU is gonna bottleneck but I might upgrade it in future). I'm worried about drivers and stuff like this. Is it how I think it is?:

Uninstall the current AMD drivers for the APU with Driver Sweeper > shut down PC > put GPU in MB > turn on PC > install its drivers from Nvidia's website > enjoy my life.

The iGPU should disable as soon as there's a dedicated GPU, right? So I suppose I won't need the drivers anymore? Should I remove them or keep the AMD drivers even with the iGPU disabled? I really don't want any problems to occur!

Thanks & cheers!

DilyanD.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series%20A8-7600.html

From the above link, you could obtain the related information on your processor, it supports PCI-E 3.0, so there is no bottleneck on your processor to support GTX 1050 Ti. Because it is a GPU from NVidia, so the iGPU and 1050 Ti could not corporate. You'd better disable the iGPU and set the primary video card as PCI-E card in SETUP/BIOS/UEFI. You can read the manual of your motherboard for further information. You could also tell me the vendor and model number of you mobo, I could search it for you.

As to the iGPU driver, you could uninstall it or just ignore it. It would not sacrifice the performance of your 1050 Ti. But I have to say even if you use 1050 Ti as the GPU for your system, the turbo boost problem might not be solved.

dilyand.

Hello and thank you for replying!

My MB is AsRock FM2A68M-HD+. I'm pretty sure how to change my graphics adapter, but telling me how won't hurt. Isn't the iGPU going to turn itself off once a dedicated GPU is plugged in? I think I'm gonna uninstall the driver since I won't need it any time soon (hopefully I won't have problems with the GPU). I have the feeling that if I leave the driver installed without the iGPU enabled I'm gonna get some BSODs.

So, to conclude this discussion: I'll hope the turbo goes up to 3.8 once iGPU is disabled. And basically, the CPU will have increased performance with its iGPU disabled, no?

Regards.

dilyand.

I just found and read this thread. AMD A4 6210 never reaches advertised speed

The guy has fixed it by updating BIOS. Should I give it a try as well? I think I had updated mine once (months ago but not over a year) in hope to fix a BSOD I was getting.

EDIT: Well, I checked my BIOS version, it seems to be the last one - 2.0. Only thing that's left is to wait and hope it's gonna reach 3.8 GHz once GPU is put.

Btw I checked BIOS and saw that the Graphics Adapter is on "Auto", not Onboard nor PCI Express, so I guess it's gonna switch automatically once I put the GPU in.

With that being said, all my questions have been cleared. Thank you two for the help!