16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 1:54 AM by kingfish

Unable to install Radeon R9 M375 drivers in Lenovo Y700-14ISK after COMPLETE system rebuild

djrj_au

Hey there everyone, I tagged on to the end of a conversation where someone was unable to successfully install the required drivers and software for their laptop (same model as mine) after a recent update.  Mine started off in that same boat, but I've gone a few steps further to try and fix the problems and now I'm at my wits end.

System Details (according to HWiNFO)

Lenovo Y700-14ISK laptop with the following bits in it (No external items connected):

• CPU Graphics: Intel HD 530
      • Graphics Card: Radeon R9 M375 4GB
      • Driver Version: None (See below)
      • Display: LG Phillips LGD04A4 14" monitor (1920x1080) @ 60hz (I think)
      • Motherboard: Lenovo IdeaPad Y
      • Chipset: Intel HM170 (Skylake PCH-H)
      • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
      • Power Supply: Lenovo ADL135NLC3A (120W)
      • RAM: 8GB (1x8GB PC4-17000 SODIMM)

On Monday I performed a complete system rebuild from a Lenovo supplied USB stick that arrived earlier in the day.  This thing was utterly indiscriminate, it wiped out the contents of both hard drives (a self-installed 500GB m.2 SSD and the factory installed 1TB 5400rpm HDD that I was then using as a data drive) and installed a new image on the SSD.  Funny thing about that fresh image however, no graphics drivers are included with it.  Go figure...

After a bucketload of system updates I then proceeded to attempt to install the proper drivers for the Intel HD 530 and then the AMD drivers - After switching off Windows Defender and so on, of course.

First off I attempted to install the AMD drivers located on the Lenovo support pages for my model laptop (using package 6fy303af.exe).  This installation would fail - Either the Crimson software would start successfully with the graphics card being detected as an AMD Radeon R9 M275X by the Windows Device Manager, or the Crimson software would fail to start but the graphics card would be detected as an AMD Radeon R9 M375.  I would then remove what had just been installed, use the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and then start with the software packages available directly from the AMD drivers page.

No matter what AMD package I use however (starting with the minimal install of 16.9.2, then moving to the full install of 16.9.2 and finally the 16.11.5 hotfix) the problem as described above would (and does) persist.  Can anyone here please help me out with what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

• Re: Unable to install Radeon R9 M375 drivers in Lenovo Y700-14ISK after COMPLETE system rebuild
          redfury

1.Update your win 10 (to anniversary update and all available updates)

2.uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

3.Download and install Intel graphics driver from Lenovo support site

4.Reboot

5..Download and install AMD graphics driver from Lenovo support site

6.Reboot

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Unable to install Radeon R9 M375 drivers in Lenovo Y700-14ISK after COMPLETE system rebuild
              djrj_au

Thanks for the suggestions, redfury, however everything that you have suggested has already been done I'm afraid (The update to Win10 Anniversary was included in my initial post under the "bucketload of system updates").  I've now even gone as far as using UUD to clear up the AMD drivers, and the issue is being stubbornly persistent, with one new wrinkle - The Crimson software will only work after the first reboot after driver installation.  Once you reboot the system again Crimson Settings will state that it can't start because there are no drivers installed.

I've got one more course of action to try when I get home from work tonight:

1. Remove wireless network from available access points.  Reboot into Safe Mode.
              2. Use UUD to uninstall AMD drivers.  Reboot.  Then reboot again into Safe Mode.
              3. Use UUD to uninstall Intel drivers.  Reboot.
              4. By now I should be using the generic drivers that came with Win10.  Go into the Device Installation Settings and stop Windows from making its own updates to the drivers therein.  (This is the new bit, I'm setting this to happen before I install the drivers.  Before now it was after I installed them.  Here's hoping it works)
              5. Install Intel drivers from package already downloaded from Lenovo support site.  Reboot.
              6. Install AMD drivers from package already downloaded from Lenovo support site.  Reboot.
              7. Make sure that right clicking on the desktop for Crimson Settings brings the program up.  See if the graphics card is listed as being an R9 M375.
              8. Reboot again, just to settle things down. (It certainly can't hurt...)
              9. Pray, and see if Crimson Settings still works.

Regards,

Doug

djrj_au

Hey there everyone,

Well that was an exercise in fail.  Either that, or I have been inadvertently successful in the world's first known installation of Schrödinger's AMD Video Driver, as evidenced by the attached picture:

20171201-1906 - Screengrab of Radeon Driver Version and Error Message.PNG

I have no idea how to proceed from here.  I've done a clean install (I've used the methods detailed in help pages linked off these forums in previous attempts) of every AMD driver package that I have, and I keep running into this wall.

Any notions as to how to proceed?

Regards,

Doug

redfury

I suggest you install win 8.1 or even win7, to check that your M375 is not faulty. If it so, then you may continue to fight with win10. As we are

djrj_au

Hey there redfury,

Sorry about the delay in responding to you on this suggestion, been a little busy (and not all of it was laptop-related).  Looks like I'll have to fight on against the powers of Windows 10 as this laptop of mine had Win10 Home 64-bit installed out of the box and didn't come with a fallback licence.

Regards,

Doug

kingfish

Doug...at least you've eliminated Doritos. Look on the bright side.

Would you run Speccy (free) to see what it says of your laptop system.

Check these two articles out > Windows 10 Forums and Windows 10 Forums

djrj_au

Thanks for the encouragement kingfish,

I'll run Speccy when I get home tonight, although I suspect that I'll have to uninstall the AMD drivers before that as a previous run with HWiNFO64 describes it as follows:

ATI/AMD Radeon R9 M275X/HD 7870M/8800M (HEATHROW XTA/VENUS XTX)

[General Information]
                                  Device Name:ATI/AMD Radeon R9 M275X/HD 7870M/8800M (HEATHROW XTA/VENUS XTX)
                                  Original Device Name:ATI/AMD Radeon R9 M275X/HD 7870M/8800M (HEATHROW XTA/VENUS XTX)
                                  Device Class:Unknown Video Adapter
                                  Revision ID:0
                                  PCI Address (Bus:Device:Function) Number:1:0:0
                                  PCI Latency Timer:0
                                  Hardware ID:PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6820&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00
                                  [PCI Express]
                                  Version:3.0
                                  Maximum Link Width:16x
                                  Current Link Width:8x
                                  Maximum Link Speed:8.0 GT/s
                                  Current Link Speed:8.0 GT/s
                                  Device/Port Type:Legacy PCI Express Endpoint
                                  Slot Implemented:No
                                  Emergency Power Reduction:Not Supported
                                  Active State Power Management (ASPM) Support:L0s and L1
                                  Active State Power Management (ASPM) Status:Disabled
                                  L0s Exit Latency:< 64 ns
                                  L1 Exit Latency:< 1 us
                                  [System Resources]
                                  Interrupt Line:N/A
                                  Interrupt Pin:INTA#
                                  Memory Base Address 080000000
                                  Memory Base Address 2A1FC0000
                                  I/O Base Address 44F00
                                  [Features]
                                  Bus Mastering:Enabled
                                  Running At 66 MHz:Not Capable
                                  Fast Back-to-Back Transactions:Not Capable
                                  [Driver Information]
                                  Driver Manufacturer:Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
                                  Driver Description:AMD Radeon R9 M275X
                                  Driver Provider:Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
                                  Driver Version:21.19.137.1 (Crimson Edition 16.9.2)
                                  Driver Date:16-Sep-2016
                                  DeviceInstanceIdPCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6820&SUBSYS_39FF17AA&REV_00\4&3175D8A&0&0008

So, with all that in mind (and because I know that there is some progress made if I use Crimson 16.9.2), my next plan of attack is as follows:

1. Uninstall AMD drivers, and reboot into Safe Mode.
                                  2. Clean up AMD drivers and bits and pieces using UUD, then reboot.
                                  3. Uninstall Intel drivers, and reboot into Safe Mode.
                                  4. Clean up Intel drivers and bits and pieces using UUD, then reboot.
                                  5. Apply the two registry edits that you suggested.
                                  6. Run Speccy, see what it tells me.
                                  7. Jump into Device Manager and confirm that generic drivers are being used.
                                  8. Install the Intel drivers as supplied by the Lenovo support site (They work and I've got them downloaded already, why complicate matters?)
                                  9. Reboot, then jump into Device Manager to confirm that Intel drivers are as they should be.
                                  10. Install Crimson 16.9.2 as supplied by the AMD support site (Because they kinda work now, time to try and get them working in full)
                                  11. Reboot, then jump into Device Manager to confirm that AMD display adapter really is a Radeon R9 M375.
                                  12. Final bit, try and get Crimson 16.9.2 display settings program to start up.

With a spot or two of luck I should be able to get things back to the state they were before Windows decided to ... "help".

Regards,

Doug

redfury

I don't understand your combination -Lenovo/Intel driver +AMD/AMD driver.

Or use both Lenovo drivers or don't use any of them...

djrj_au

Hey there redfury,

My combination of drivers is the way it is because (until last night) it kinda worked.  The drivers from Lenovo for the Intel 530 HD graphics work, while the drivers from Lenovo for the AMD Radeon R9 M375 don't work at all despite any amount of installation, re-installation, swearing and chronic alcohol abuse you may care to mention during the long-suffering trials of trying to get them to work in the first place.  I've contacted Lenovo customer support about this issue a number of times over the last 2 weeks and, sad to say, they've shown themselves to be just about as useful as a horse-drawn zeppelin.  If I'm feeling particularly masochistic tonight I may try contacting them again.

Last night however, after the clean installation of the drivers and software that came with AMD's 16.9.2 release of the Crimson software suite the previous night, and subsequent bout of Skyrim Special Edition (strictly for testing and quality assurance purposes, honest!) I'm now in the peculiar place where the Crimson software failed to recognise the existence of the freshly installed drivers after the second post-install reboot, and subsequent attempts to fix it now yield nothing more than a completely black screen upon reboot.  Sigh...

First time it rebooted everything was okay (not perfect, but workable), and the only fly in the ointment was everything telling me that it was an R9 M275X installed - But solid testing of everything using Skyrim showed that things were just as usable as they were before this whole sordid business began.  After the second reboot though Crimson 16.9.2 decided to tell me that the graphics card wasn't installed or that the drivers for it wasn't installed - And now there's that black screen...

I'll have another swing at things tonight.  (In the immortal words of Daffy Duck, "Yoiks!  And away!" ... *WHAP*)

Regards,

Doug

kingfish

Did you follow the guide to updating laptops? Did you install the latest drivers for the Intel graphics? Before trying to install the AMD drivers? Why are you using the drivers from Lenovo? Did you prevent Microsoft from changing the dfrivers you installed? Did you empty the C:/AMD folder of all previous drivers?

Correct laptop drivers AMD > Mobile

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      djrj_au

Hey there kingfish,

I'll answer the questions sequentially ,

1. I followed the guide to updating laptops and the guide to doing a clean install of the AMD drivers.  (You really can't get much cleaner than what Lenovo's system restore USB did to my laptop.  "Scorched earth" would be an adequate description of the digital carnage that followed...)
                                      2. The drivers for Intel Graphics HD 530 were successfully installed and are currently working like a charm, and they were installed before every attempt at installing the AMD drivers.
                                      3. I was installing using the AMD drivers available from the Lenovo support site after every attempt at getting the driver packages downloaded from AMD's support site went belly up.
                                      4. I stopped Windows 10 from interfering with the hardware drivers bright and early on in the piece.
                                      5. All the driver folders created at (or near) the top of the C:\ folder tree were erased.
                                      6. All my AMD downloads from the AMD support site were done from the AMD Mobile pages. 

All of that aside I have seen some movement in a positive direction with my install woes.  After an update to the BIOS and to the Chipset drivers (via the Lenovo support site) I was able to get Windows (and the AMD Crimson software) to acknowledge that there really is an AMD Radeon graphics card installed in my laptop and not just a couple of misplaced Doritos, and to get that acknowledgement to persist between reboots.  Right now Windows 10 (and Crimson) is utterly convinced that there's a Radeon R9 M295X installed (it's actually an R9 M375), and so far I can only get the drivers that came with Crimson Edition 16.9.2 to work - if I try using anything else like the ones that came in the Lenovo package or in the 16.11.5 hotfix then I end up with Schrödinger's Driver Package (see above) ... BUT at least it's willing to play almost nicely with Skyrim Special Edition with only the occasional bout of visual distortion; usually when inspecting the skill perks maps, (where there's an amount of loose pixels causing what I call "starfield streaking" whenever the POV zooms from one perk to another).

I'll continue plugging away at this until I find out how to fix it all.  I'll then share and enjoy.

Regards,

Doug

kingfish

Pardon if you covered this...but, did you install all the AMD software to the default location? Is it on the same drive as your OS?

I wonder what would happen if you uninstalled all the AMD software (DDU), restart and goto Windows Update and see what it downloads?