AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unable to install Radeon R9 M375 drivers in Lenovo Y700-14ISK after COMPLETE system rebuild

Question asked by djrj_au on Nov 29, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 by kingfish

Hey there everyone, I tagged on to the end of a conversation where someone was unable to successfully install the required drivers and software for their laptop (same model as mine) after a recent update.  Mine started off in that same boat, but I've gone a few steps further to try and fix the problems and now I'm at my wits end.

System Details (according to HWiNFO)

Lenovo Y700-14ISK laptop with the following bits in it (No external items connected):

• CPU Graphics: Intel HD 530
  • Graphics Card: Radeon R9 M375 4GB
  • Driver Version: None (See below)
  • Display: LG Phillips LGD04A4 14" monitor (1920x1080) @ 60hz (I think)
  • Motherboard: Lenovo IdeaPad Y
  • Chipset: Intel HM170 (Skylake PCH-H)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
  • Power Supply: Lenovo ADL135NLC3A (120W)
  • RAM: 8GB (1x8GB PC4-17000 SODIMM)

On Monday I performed a complete system rebuild from a Lenovo supplied USB stick that arrived earlier in the day.  This thing was utterly indiscriminate, it wiped out the contents of both hard drives (a self-installed 500GB m.2 SSD and the factory installed 1TB 5400rpm HDD that I was then using as a data drive) and installed a new image on the SSD.  Funny thing about that fresh image however, no graphics drivers are included with it.  Go figure...

After a bucketload of system updates I then proceeded to attempt to install the proper drivers for the Intel HD 530 and then the AMD drivers - After switching off Windows Defender and so on, of course.

First off I attempted to install the AMD drivers located on the Lenovo support pages for my model laptop (using package 6fy303af.exe).  This installation would fail - Either the Crimson software would start successfully with the graphics card being detected as an AMD Radeon R9 M275X by the Windows Device Manager, or the Crimson software would fail to start but the graphics card would be detected as an AMD Radeon R9 M375.  I would then remove what had just been installed, use the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and then start with the software packages available directly from the AMD drivers page.

No matter what AMD package I use however (starting with the minimal install of 16.9.2, then moving to the full install of 16.9.2 and finally the 16.11.5 hotfix) the problem as described above would (and does) persist.  Can anyone here please help me out with what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Outcomes