56 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2016 7:41 PM by L4d

Who is getting Zen?

zealotki11er

Really interested who is upgrading to Zem. Would like to know what you have now and what Zen CPU will you get. 4/6/8 Core. What is the min single threaded performance you looking to get.

Personally have 3770K so I want at least IVY performance with more cores to upgrade.

• Re: Who is getting Zen?
          ant25b

I probably will but not at launch, was just recently forced to upgrade to skylake due to my liquid cooler springing a leak and frying half my computer lol

I'll be happy if it's within a few FPS of intel if not better, AMD really needs to have some good press.

zealotki11er

I am hoping the ITX MB that can OC. Really want to move to a ITX system. Yeah Skylake will most likely be faster. You probably have to wait for Zen+. Games are starting to use HT now so 6+ real cores will outperform 4/8 Intel platform.

oregon

I will be upgrading to Zen, but will be waiting until their APUs are out. I currently have a Kaveri APU. Huge APU fan, myself.

nec_v20

Personally I was very pleasantly surprised with the A10-7870K system I built, the specs of which you can see here: Silent Grizwald

I wanted a machine that would be able to function as a replacement in a pinch if, for some reason, my main machine had something go wrong with it.

Is it for many things as good as my main machine? I would say yes. I can even play games on it that I like, which is something I was not expecting at all. I expected that part of working with the machine to be frustrating and it just wasn't.

It is also completely silent.

Unfortunately I will not be upgrading to a Zen based APU for reasons I have given below, which is a real shame.

warpfact0r10

I'm with you on ITX. Don't need any more full towers.

ant25b

I agree ITX will be a great addition to the AMD platform, I'd love to do a SFF pc with a ZEN CPU

nobodygamer

Probably I will be building one at the end of 2017 beginning of 2018, as a main gaming and programming rig. Most probably it will be Full ATX with 32GB RAM sporting a 6/12 Zen, I'm not sure about GPU yet.

william

I hope our local prices won't end up owerpriced as RX 460/470/480 this year. For example RX 470 is about 100 Euro more expensive than 1060 or you can get 4GB RX 480 for the price of 1070. Or old R9 380 for the price of 3GB 1060. That's just not right... Our local suppliers must be crazy.

I am eager to buy Zen CPU(s) but I just won't if the local prices are too high.

ant25b

Prices for the RX line have been pretty inflated lately here in the states as well, I think it's just because of the demand for them. Was going to get a 480 but waiting for the prices to come down a bit since they are well over MSRP right now.

L4d

I'm hoping to see quad core Zen beating the 7700K in single thread situations, so I expect highly clocked ones to do so. I dislike supporting Intel, being a monopoly...

nec_v20

I would have been really interested in Zen with regard to upgrading my 7870K system - Silent Grizwald - however as I stated in this post - Zen Platform Not Supporting Windows 7? - I have totally lost interest in it.

Only about 33% of Windows users run Win10; it is flaky, unstable, and just looks plain ugly, as if the designers of the GUI phoned it in. I have given Win10 a fair shot on both my main system (a 4790K running on a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming G1 Wifi-BK mobo) and the 7870K system I linked to. I build systems to run 24/7 for years and if you look at the link to Silent Grizwald above you will see that I only use high quality components.

I have no time for an OS which, in my own personal experience on my own personal systems with a clean installation of Win10 on it's own SSD, I have an up time of hours before a major crash or BSOD and not weeks between reboots (mainly due to Windows Updates requiring the reboot) on the same rigs running Win7. In fact, today was the first time in months that I have actually had to turn off my computer because I upgraded my GPU from a Sapphire R9 280X to a Gigabyte Gaming G1 RX480 with 8GB of RAM instead of just doing a reboot because of updates.

Why did I move away from Sapphire? Because their RX480 is bloody loud even when the fans are not ramping up, whereas the Gigabyte card just turns the fans off when I am doing something like writing this post. I would rather take a bit of a performance hit than have to be annoyed by loud fans.

By refusing to support Win7 AMD has effectively given a one finger salute to 66% of Windows users and I don't think this bodes well for the sale of their new Zen architecture. AMD chief technical officer Mark Papermaster stated, “AMD’s processor roadmap is fully aligned with Microsoft’s software strategy”. What this says to me is that AMD is being dictated to by Microsoft.

Intel has swallowed the Microsoft Kool-Aid and will not be supporting anything other than Windows 10. With Zen AMD will, for the first time, be competitive against higher end Intel CPU's and what is more Intel is ceding a HUGE market to AMD by not supporting any other Windows platform other than Win10. I have never had much faith in the intelligence of Marketdroids/Salescritters and this just confirms it.

I think it is just incredibly stupid that AMD would throw away an opportunity like this to win market share.

If you run Win10 and are happy with it then good for you. The overwhelming (as of this writing) number of Windows users still don't think Win10 is ready for prime time. What however do I know right? I mean I have only been using Microsoft operating systems since MS-DOS 2.11 (I think it was still called "PC-DOS" in those days) on my 4.77 MHz 8088.

zealotki11er

If you think about it not many people that are going to upgrade want to stay with Windows 7 still. Its a OS from 2009. In 2017 it will be 8 years old. It like trying to run iOS 2, or Android 2.2 on current hardware.

nec_v20

Do you know what else is old? The wheel. I suppose we could just get rid of that, I mean after a few thousand years that round thing is just soooo yesterday.

If something is going to be replaced then it should be replaced by something that's better.

Back in 1995 I went with WinNT 4.0 because it was better than Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Win95 was not in the least impressive in comparison. When I wanted to build something like "Silent Grizwald" I went with AMD because Intel had nothing to offer in comparison.

For me there is a clear choice, if AMD and Intel want to force me onto an OS which is abhorrent to me then neither AMD nor Intel is not going to make a sale, it's as simple as that. If I wanted to be a sheeple then I would be buying Apple.

If I wanted to use Win10 then there would be nothing stopping me doing so. Win10 is not so much an evolution as it it a mutation, and not a beneficial mutation at that. I can boot into Win10 any time I want, it is on it's own separate SSD on both machines it is up to date as of a couple of weeks ago. I have no time for an OS that cannot be relied on to work. I have yet to have it run for JUST ONE DAY without a major crash.

Why on Earth would I ever move to an OS that is less reliable and adds NOTHING to what I already have? Because it's newer? Seriously? That's your argument?

I have been playing this game for over three decades now (about 33 years or so) and I know a piece of garbage when I see it. I am not blaming Microsoft for Vista, that was mainly due to Intel. With Vista though, I installed it, I tried it, it was garbage and I wasn't interested. When Win7 came out everyone had a good feeling about it and essentially abandoned everything else.

warpfact0r10

As someone who has been running Win 10 since it's release on multiple machines, IMO it is quite ready for prime time. Win 7 is comparatively clunky.

nec_v20

Are you running Win10 24/7 on a machine that you depend on?

I have pretty high end components in my main machine and I have yet to have Win10 run for an entire day without a major crash.

I have a CPU voltage offset of -0.12 volts set up on my mobo when I am running Win7 and it is rock solid. When I run Win10 I get rid of that and put it back to normal in the BIOS, as of two weeks ago (which was the last time I tried to run Win10 for a day) it was still not running stably.

It is useless to me.

zealotki11er

I have not crashed since Windows XP. I know how to build and maint OS/PC.

nec_v20

So let me get this straight, you have never OC'd your system and gone just a bit too far and had a BSOD?

You never undervolted your system and had it run stably until, a half hour or maybe a day or so in, you had a BSOD? In my case the 4770K system I had ran stably at a CPU voltage offset of -0.130 Volts, whereas, in the same board, the 4790K I installed on it will only run stably at an offset of -0.120. I did not however draw those numbers magically freshly steaming from my nether region, I had to find out what would run stably over a period of months. If you are wondering what this offset means, it means that when I am running a CPU intensive game the system draws 50 Watts or so less out of the socket than if the system was not being undervolted. My monitor consumes 48 Watts, so basically what this means is that when I am gaming I get to run my monitor for free.

You have never pushed the limits of your hardware, like a GPU (with either overclocking and/or over/undervolting) and had a BSOD?

You never experienced the worldwide epidemic of BSOD's resulting from the installation of SP6 on WinNT 4.0 Servers? (I was working as Senior German Engineer for Enterprise Disaster-Recovery Tech-Support during that time, and it was not pretty. It is one of the reasons why I strenuously object to the forced update policy of Microsoft in Windows10).

And let's face it, WinXP was not exactly the paragon of stability until SP2 came along - but you were immune, because ... reasons.

You are a miracle, something from myth, a God to bow down before and worship in all His glory.

But seriously I think you might be having some selective amnesia there mate

Let's just say that I find your claim to be somewhat dubious.

barracuda512

Can't wait to see what the horizon launch event brings to the table. If zen can match i5 lvl of performance  and a better price i'm all in for getting a zen system built.

kingfish

I am a bit surprised that this event hasn't been promoted more aggressively >  http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

kxuping

Its appears on my twitter feed 3 to 6 times a day. And on the emails that send twitter with news to my email. And on AMD email list like 2 to 3 times on my inbox.

They are pushing it as hard as they can. I enlisted the first time I saw about the event.

nec_v20

Probably that techies don't really deal with 140 characters or less, because their lives are not that shallow (with regard to your reply further down this thread).

What does make more sense is that they do not want to admit that they are indelibly tied to Microsoft in promoting their Win10 and that AMD is giving a one finger salute to everyone else (the vast majority of Windows Users), and it is only AFTER unwitting fools have purchased about £1,000 worth of CPU, Mobo, and RAM for their new system that they discover that the OS they want to run on it DOESN'T.

And that's why AMD can take their new Zen and shove it where the Sun doesn't shine.

barracuda512

Intel's kaby lake will be the same way so your sol on that front too. The new chipsets still are able to be used on Linux and Mac OS's though. Personal loving windows 10 right now just like I loved windows 8.1. Your unreasonable hate is confusing.

nec_v20

"Hate"?

I have been using Microsoft operating systems since MS-DOS 2.11 well over thirty years ago.

That I reject an OS like WIn10 or even WIn8/8.1 is not based on hatred but rather on experience.

Win10 does not offer me the stability I demand of an OS, which is that it runs 24/7 until I have to either reboot because of an OS update OR because an application within that OS crashes, cascading to other components. With Win10 I cannot keep it running stably for even up to a day.

With Win7 my system runs stably for many months or years without a major issue.

It's not even a close choice.

nec_v20

The fact that major AMD insiders are selling their shares tells me that the sale of Zen coupled to Win10 will be a disaster.

Most of those using Win10 are sheeple buying systems rather than being people such as myself building their own - far superior - rigs.

WIn10 does not enter into the equation of a "far superior" rig because of its inherent instability.

kxuping

Please go and complain at Microsoft forums or support with the same energy that you do here. They are a closed source company that has a monopoly on desktop operating systems and if they like to force you to upgrade to use newer technology they will do it. Or keep using Windows 7 with only the technology that Microsoft allows you to use. Or you can go and use an open source OS like Linux that will have support for newer CPU technology. All your complains should be targeted at Microsoft and not other companies.

nec_v20

The OS runs on hardware, not the other way around.

WIn10 has proven itself to be be inferior even after an extensive year and a half of beta testing, pretending that it is a gold product.

Given the choice of Win10 or Linux in my future hardware choices I will go with Lunux because I have everything running on that platform that I have on Win7 aside from games.

What's your point?

Do out actually have one?

ant25b

Please take your negativity elsewhere, this thread was only asking who is getting zen and what they were looking forward to with it. You've stated that you won't be getting it and are now just posting spam. This is not the place to complain about an OS, please go do that on another forum.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                                nec_v20

The thread was entitled "Who is getting Zen".

Now that also implies "Who is NOT getting Zen" and their reasons for not doing so.

If your feelz don't coincide with the reelz then that's your problem.

For the reality based community who consider the AMD decision to exclude every OS other than Win 10 to be a mistake, we are perfectly welcome to comment here, because it is a "Computer Users, Non-Technical" such as yourself who will be bleating like sheep to people such as myself when you can't get the hardware to work on your newly bought rig.

ant25b

Your complaints are based on speculation on an unreleased product, granted they will probably be true, but there is a difference between supporting win 10 and being compatible with older OS's. Both AMD and Intel "Support Win10 and not older OS's because there are specific instructions built into the OS that the new hardware is going to need to be used at full potential. No one has come out and said that older OS's won't work on the new hardware. The new hardware just won't run at it's optimal performance because there are things missing from older OS's. I've built 3 computers since Win 10 launched and the only BSODs that I have encountered have been from hardware failure, Aside from that I have had no issues with the OS, Overclocking or random crashing. Please do your research before trying to stir up people with false accusations that their OS won't work on the new hardware.

nec_v20

Actually your point is moot because, AMD chief technical officer Mark Papermaster stated, “AMD’s processor roadmap is fully aligned with Microsoft’s software strategy”. What this says to me is that AMD is being dictated to by Microsoft.

So it is not "speculation".

You might have built those systems, but I can bet that you don't guarantee those systems to run 24/7 for at least five years - that's what I guarantee any system I build for.

If you build inferior hardware into your systems then it is hardly my problem to refute your argument with regard to an OS which is not ready for prime time on first class existing hardware!

I don't build inferior systems for myself and Win10 does not run stably with regard to my specifications - end of story.

You can make up whatever fairy-tale you want for yourself, but it is not going to wash.

ant25b

All that quote says is that the optimal setup will be using Win 10 with Zen, that doesn't say that older OS's won't work on the new hardware so your point is moot. Continually attacking people who are saying they have no issues with Win 10 because you seem to be having issues getting it to work for you is your own problem. I don't care if you call my builds inferior but they have been running every day for more then 6 months with no issues. Currently running an i5 6600k and have yet to have a single issue, it's even OC'd so I'm not sure how you're having so many issues when most other people seem to be running it just fine.

nec_v20

Actually I have asked everyone here if they can honestly say that they have had their hardware up and running 24/7 for any amount of time with Win10 and NOBODY has stated that they have. I also do not expect anyone to truthfully state that they have because my hardware is a rock solid as it comes and on my rigs that is just not a reality.

Microsoft has put pressure on AMD and Intel to DELIBERATELY MAKE THEIR NEW CPU's INCOMPATIBLE WITH ANY OS LOWER THAN WINDOWS 10.

Both AMD with Zen and most certainly Intel with Kaby Lake have caved to that demand.

I did not ask you whether or not you ran your system every day. What I specifically asked you was, if you ran your systems 24/7 - you do know what that means don't you?

It doesn't mean that you turn the rigs on every day or so an power them down again. It means that they are up and running THE WHOLE TIME.

You don't, you know you don't and you deflect from answering honestly.

warpfact0r10

I have, and ZERO problems. You have a very selective memory, considering the "stability" so many users enjoyed with Windows 3.11, 95, ME, and Vista in particular. Your stability issues are likely caused by legacy software, or just plain shoddy coding in 3rd party applications.

ant25b

My personal rig is on everyday and doesn't turn off so yes I know what it means, I'm done with this ignorant conversation because you have a hatred for a company and are too blind to see that older OS's will work on the new hardware. Neither AMD or Intel would be dumb enough to not allow older OS's to not run on the new hardware, you believing sensationalist articles on the internet is clouding what common sense I sincerely hope you have.

nec_v20

Why don't I believe you?

You only try to retroactively "refute" my arguments when I have already stated my parameters.

You could have said that you had your systems running 24/7, but you didn't. This tells me that you are telling porkie pies.

Nice try sunny-boy.

The thing is that I have seen examples of your hardware here and I am pretty underwhelmed. This however does exactly what it sets out to do Silent Grizwald Notice the difference? I set out with a plan and got the highest quality components I wanted for the cheapest price. You however seem to look for the cheapest price at which you can just barely get components to fit together.

Silent Grizwald is my backup computer which I also built as a proof of concept that one could build a truly SILENT computer on a budget.

kxuping

You are complaining on the wrong forum. Complain in Microsoft forum. Its their OS and they support or allow support for whatever they like. They use closed source software and even if other companies have the source they cant go against Microsoft will, because they signed contracts. Low level software is explicitly written for certain hardware in this case a not yet released CPU.

kingfish

The subject of Win7 and Win8.1 compatibility has been discussed and cussed many times on the gaming forum....mostly negative, as you allude to. Still there are those who hold on to the hope that (1) Zen lives up to the hype and (2) it supports something besides Win10.

nec_v20

Yes, you "hope". As long as fanboys however just look at the chips and not the salsa giving it flavour and zest, then it will be a bland mixture.

The reason why it is "mostly negative" is because after one and a half years WIn10 is still an accident waiting to happen on most people's systems.

If Zen does not support any Windows Operating System other than Windows 10 then it is an accident waiting to happen.

Those installing Windows 10 on either an AMD CPU or an Intel CPU will be told that it is because of the incompatibilities of their CPU's with Win10 that is the reason for the crashes and not WIn10 and AMD and Intel will have to either admit that they were bollock stupid to follow Microsoft with regard to their hardware choices, i.e putting the cart in front of the horse, or having to lie to their customers about why they didn't go with a tried and true Microsoft OS THAT WOULD HAVE WORKED WITH THEIR HARDWARE!!

cadetsparklez

I'm getting SR3 in february, just so the first few chips are cleaned to to make sure they have better voltage scaling, works out because vega won't be out until then.

adr_tech

I'm looking to get Zen soon after its launch! I'm very excited about it

kxuping

If they release a mobo with support for quadfire I will replace my current FX 9590. And upgrade my AMD E-350 HTPC to a Zen APU later.

Obviously only if resources are enough, because my current AMD gaming PC is running all games great and my HTPC is working fine.

blazek

Definitely excited for Zen and will be picking it up

kxuping

If Zen is good, we will be like:

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

benman2785

my FX-8150 @4.2GHz needs to be replaced -> i will definetly buy Zen 8C
                                                                                                but for GPU i wait until AMDs answer to 1080ti releases -> have RX 480 right now and am happy with that card

catchabreak

Think there  will be a split between 4 core and 8 core. AMD needs to get the price spot on,  none of the Polaris price fudging.

eidairaman1

Waiting on bugs to be ironed out of W10 If Forced to move to it, Zen will be my main rig and the current will be my wifes.