1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 30, 2016 7:20 AM by staffordrau

RX 480 8gb "white screen" crashes

staffordrau

I have a new system with a 3-monitor setup. Running Europa Universalis 4, which should not be graphically taxing for this card, gives me a hard video & system crash after 5-10 minutes of game play.

Relevant details:

Describe your system:

• Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB
      • Desktop system
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64bit (clean install)
      • Driver version installed
        • Radeon Crimson 16.11.4 (re-installed after using DDU)
      • Display Devices
        • Asus MG28UQ running at 1920 x 1080 via Display Port
        • Asus MG24UQ running at 1920 x 1080 via Display Port
        • Asus MG24UQ running at 1920 x 1080 via Display Port
      • Motherboard
        • Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming 5
      • CPU/APU
        • Intel Core I5-6400 @ 2.70GHz
      • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
        • Corsair RM850i (850w)
      • RAM
        • 16GB

Running EU4 in fullscreen/windowed mode (same resolution - 1920 x 1080) on the center 28" monitor, and Chrome on one of the side 24" monitors. After a few minutes, I'll get an unrecoverable crash with one or more of the monitors going full screen white or grey, and the remaining ones black screen. The only way to recover is normally through a hard reset, but sometimes that doesn't work and it requires a full power-cycle.

Things I've tried:

Removed the graphics drivers with DDU and reinstalled the latest recommended - version 16.11.4.

Installed all updated drivers for my motherboard.

Decreased the resolution (through Windows) on all three monitors to 1920 x 1080.

Tried a few different settings in the Radeon profile for EU4.

I had the same issue with Mass Effect 1 when I tried playing it with the MEUITM updated textures mod. The problem went away when running un-modded ME1.

Possibly relevant - sometimes when it crashes, I think I hear buzzing coming from the speakers on the monitors. My audio output is via a recent model Soundblaster card, but I do have HDMI audio available through the monitors.

Any suggestions would be quite welcome.

• Re: RX 480 8gb "white screen" crashes
          staffordrau

I upgraded to the latest hotfix package, 16.11.5, and still have the issue. I also get a crash after a couple of minutes in World of Warcraft. I haven't tried many other games, as this is a new system and I haven't had time to try them all.

Since these issues with the RX 480 seem to be widespread and without resolution, I'll likely give up on this card and replace it with something more reliable.