9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2016 10:08 AM by ramchyld

SimCity 2013 - weird behavior on RX 470 CFX

ramchyld

So I was recently getting pangs to play the SimCity everyone hates again, and fired it up in Origin.

At first, everything looks okay, but then I open up a city and started experiencing issues.

The first one is that the camera is very jittery, worse than The Blair Witch Project. Whenever it feels like it it'd zoom in and out for no reason at all. It'd also tend to stutter a lot.

The second issue, well,

15068560_10154896397144170_3150658857881541868_o.jpg

Any reason the game acts like it's drunk?

• Re: SimCity 2013 - weird behavior on RX 470 CFX
          redfury

The game is not support crossfire.You can see it even at your picture.Game uses only one gpu.

Disable crossfire for this game. Radeon settings>Games>SimCity 2013 game profile. Or Radeon settings>Games>Global, but it will totally disable crossfire to all applications.

ramchyld

You sure? It appears as the game was alternating GPUs (the first one would fire up for a second, then it would switch to the second, and then the third, and then back to the first). Honestly I'd prefer this behavior as it means the card doesn't heat up too much. Also. I though that when a game doesn't support CFX, it will not show the logo at all.

redfury

OK. Maybe SimCity 2013 support crossfire (for two cards), but three way crossfire (and quad crossfire) it is not the same story. Is SimCity 2013 so demanding for GPU power?

"(the first one would fire up for a second, then it would switch to the second, and then the third, and then back to the first)" -this behavior indicates that game uses only one gpu in your setup. And this switching cannot be good for smooth gameplay.

ramchyld

OK. Maybe SimCity 2013 support crossfire (for two cards), but three way crossfire (and quad crossfire) it is not the same story. Is SimCity 2013 so demanding for GPU power?

I also run the game on a laptop - one with a FX-7600P APU and Radeon R9 M280X GPU. It has to run everything at normal or the game will start becoming unplayable after my city is fully built up. Transitioning between region and city is slow and jerky.

Anyways, I tried playing with CFX turned off in the game profile and it's playable now. Performance is poor at the current setting with everything turned up of course, but at least the game doesn't glitch out. Still would prefer crossfire enabled tho, since the game is clearly not giving fluid framerates with the setting turned up.

redfury

I may be wrong, but such type of games (simulators of God) is CPU hungry in first place.

ramchyld

Maybe. But I'm pretty sure that GPU also plays an important part since the graphics quality settings does affect performance. Anyways, I've also since upgraded my CPU to a FX8320E from Phenom II X6 1090T, will see if it's any different (if I can get it to run properly, now it randomly powers off my PC and I need to unplug the PC for a few seconds for it to start working again).

bdnews

Agree. If the crossfire support SimCity 2013 (two cards), but the three forms (and quadruple crossfire) the crossfire, it's not the same story. SimCity 2013 is the GPU power?

"(The first one burns for a second, then it will have to change from second to third and then again, and then, and)," the central point of the game is the only one that has been configured GPU. This change could not be better for a smooth game.all bangla newspaper site headline in single link.a2znewspapers is a collection of all bangla newspapers.

redfury

You need to update your BIOS to the last version(or reset it at least) and and check +12V and CPU temperature during game by HWinfo64>sensors.

Don't use any overclock for now.But you will not see much difference between Phenom II X6 1090T and FX 8320E on stock frequencies.

What motherboard are you using?

ramchyld

Well, my motherboard is an Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX/R 2.0. Already have the latest BIOS for the mobo (2901 x64).

I don't do any overclocking, but the GPUs come pre-OC'ed from factory (Asus Strix RX470-O4G Gaming cards). I've already applied the August firmware update that readjusts the power draw of the GPUs to all the cards.

Anyways, I've narrowed the problem down to driver issue, I found that I forgot to recreate the profile for the game and turn off CFX for the game when I used DDU to delete the older drivers and install the ReLive ones (tried upgrading, but the machine kept rebooting at the "Starting Windows" screen after the upgrade). Turning that off stops the computer from powering off spontaneously, but now the game hangs at the loading screen. I have no problems with even more intensive games like GTA V.

I'll most likely be filing another bug report.