AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unable to install new AMD drivers and unresponsive Radeon Settings after System Recovery

Question asked by chilly on Nov 23, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 3, 2016 by kingfish

Dear Support Team,

I have quite some problems upgrading from an old Radeon Software Version (15.11) to the most up to date one (Crimson Edition 16.11.4 Hotfix).

I will pretty much list up everything I did so far. Here are a few relevant Informations to my system first.

GPU: Radeon R9 290X

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50 GHz

1. First I made sure Windows and .Net Framework stuff is updated (Even optional Updates).

2. Then I followed this tutorial here: Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers since it would not allow me to upgrade it on its own.

3. I went to Download Drivers and smacked these informations in: https://i.gyazo.com/5bc248a45a1edd54ab362cbd976fbc70.png

4. Downloaded the Crimson Edition 16.11.4 Hotfix with release date: 11/17/2016 and 292 MB File Size.

5. Went uninstall "AMD Install Manager" in Control Panel, it uninstalled stuff and made me reboot.

6. I downloaded Display Driver Uninstaller (Ver.17.0.3.0) earlier -> Reboot into Safe-Mode, executed "Clean and restart" with DDU.

Up to this point everything seems fine, but then problems start to occure when I try to install the Crimson Edition 16.11.4 Hotfix.

7. Back to my desktop I try to run the 292 MB exe with the drivers, it unpacks files into C:/AMD and runs the setup.

8. Now here is the part where it "should" create a bunch of files, but it only creates these files: https://i.gyazo.com/4396dda629d3de736404126f1043f75e.png

9. Afer the installation, I need to reboot and my graphics card did not even take in the drivers, prolly because the whole installation is so incomplete.

10. I guide my GPU manually towards the drivers in "C:/AMD/Non-WHQL..(etc) Crimson-16.11.4-Nov15/packages/drivers", works like a charm.

However I don't have the rest. No radeon settings or whatever. It should roughly look like: https://i.gyazo.com/eff6a8c2cad82f572b4d694cc56326ac.png

this during the installation of new Drivers, but instead of that it just shows me "AMD Installationmanager", "HDMI Audio Drivers" and these unticked optional profiles

when I want to install the new drivers.

Things I also did before anyone is going to ask:

- Making sure Anti-virus/ad blockers/anti-malware/ anti-anything are disabled during the driver install

- In another attempt to install the drivers, I tried out AMDCleanupUtility.exe before installing everything in addition, same results.

- I will repeat it once more to avoid confusion: Windows and .Net Framework stuff is updated.

And here is the bonus part: After simply being unable to install the whole thing correctly, I kinda gave up and tried a System Recovery to go

2 days back in time and reset my System to my old Radeon drivers (Version 15.11). Now I do have everything back and there even is this

Radeon Setting icon popping up as usual but then I realized.. It does not even respond anymore. I can click it, restart it, but nothing

pops up and it is clearly activated when I look at the task Manager. So I am back to Version 15.11 but have no control over

anything at the moment.

I am quite puzzled and I simply don't know what to do anymore to fix this.

I appreciate any help and hope there is a solution to my problem

Best regards

A troubled customer

Outcomes