13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2017 12:03 AM by khideyoshi

render artifact problems on W5100

khideyoshi

Dear Firepro Support & Drivers,

I experience this visualiser output artifacts problems. when making a full ON render visuals on:

Chamsys MagicQ & its built in visualiser running on OpenGL.

Other problems include:

1. Patchy / jagged  light beam line output from some of onstage fixtures.

2. Sometimes the rendered beam does not come out during cue execution on some fixtures.

my firepro W5100 driver version: 16.2 (this artifacts & other beam render output still persist since 14.3 (Original Driver)

Reason why I submit this:

I have a home pc running with GTX960 2GB and this application does not produce render artifacts / jagged beam, artifacts.

This render problems presents me with dilemma for continuing path with Firepro / WX series.

I use W5100 mainly for CAD apps & visuals.

I have attached the screen capture for problems with render artifacts + Software settings.

Hopefully I could find answers / solutions to this problem via driver updates

• Re: render artifact problems on W5100
          dwitczak

Can you try capturing a frame from the application using a tool such as RenderDoc (RenderDoc Downloads ) which reproduces the issue? That would give us a starting point for the investigation. Thanks.

ahoffman

Hello,

Could you please provide some additional system information? If you're uncertain, it can be gathered easily with a free tool such as Speccy. Could you also provide the minimum and precise instructions to reproduce the problem, as well as a screenshot of what it is supposed to look like when there is no problem?

Thanks

ahoffman

Hello,

I was able to reproduce the artifacts you're seeing with MagicQ PC. Here are the minimal steps that can be taken to reproduce it:

1. Download/install MagicQ
              2. Launch MagicQ PC
              3. Select "Lighting Demo"
              4. Click menu option Visualizer > View Visualizer to open a Visualizer window.
              5. In the Visualizer window, click File > Settings, and ensure "New rendering" is selected.
              6. Click and drag the scene to rotate it to an angle.
              7. In the MagicQ PC window, drag the slider for PB6 to the top. Do the same with PB7 and PB4.
              8. Observe the animation in the Visualizer window. There will be frequent flashes of graphical artifacts as the lights move.

Upon further investigation, it appears that this same artifact as well as the aliasing along the edges of the light beams in "new rendering" mode also occurs with Nivida (screenshots attached below). This would suggest that the issue lies in the application code rather than the graphics drivers. I've taken the liberty of reporting this to the vendor for you. You may track the status of this report here.

Thanks,
              Alex

comparison.png

khideyoshi

Dear Ahoffman,

Thank you for the source of issue, since this is the only application that has artifacts problems. However;

I am curious which Nvidia card GT/GTX series / drivers in use to reproduce same artifacts issues?

This issue seem never appears when running with the GTX960 2GB.

I will re confirm with you when I re-run this on the nvidia card @ hoem PC, regardless if there are same problems reproduced or not with the help of renderdoc capture.

Thank you for raising this issue with the chamsys bug tracker since my bug report has not been answered.

This issue is considered minor (under visualiser topic & discussion group).

I'll be in touch after re run the apps using the gtx960 (the very reason I reported this issue after running on 2 different brands).

Regards

Kelly Sen

ahoffman

Hello,

As noted in the bug report, this was reproduced on a Quadro M4000 as well as a K2200 with the latest Nvidia drivers, and of course on the W5100 and driver reported by your Speccy log (15.30). It is possible that the particular development/test environment used by the vendor is similar to yours and hides this bug, so it is good that you were able to find it and that we were able to reproduce it so consistently, so that it will hopefully be resolved quickly! Feel free to append any additional information to the bug tracker, such as card and driver versions in which the bug does not happen, that may help ChamSys isolate the issue further.

-AHoffman

khideyoshi

Dear Ahoffman,

I can conclude that the chamsys versions; previous, stable 1.7.2.4 & beta 1.7.2.9 have not been run/tested on pro graphic cards system because the M4000 & K2200 produces exact problems like on the W5100.

All modern consoles are an IPC built in, commonly running on linux. so there are generic/common graphics card built in for its interface screens & vga output. Never specifically tested on PCs running pro graphic cards.

I prefer opting their hybrid console - PC systems instead of consoles because it gives me more flexible implementation options ( @ lower budget costs).

I will update you the renderdoc & speccy data on gtx960 2gb, when I get to spend time @ home & rerun the apps.

Thank you for promptly responding to this issue & taking the extra efforts in running & testing the chamsys apps yourself to confirm this issue.

I am rest assure now that it is not hardware implementation / platform issues.

Regards

Kelly Sen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            khideyoshi

Dear Ahoffman,

To Conclude our thread discussion on "Render Artifacts on W5100"

I have included speccy & RenderDoc Capture files on my other PC running on GTX960 2GB;

To my Surprises:

The Render Artifacts seem to persist after show data file update (I did not keep the old show data because it has been updated with the one running on W5100 computer).

Seem the data carry over the artifact bugs.

This artifact bug seem to appear depending on how simple/complex the setup & scenes created in the visualiser with x amount & types of lighting fixtures being implemented.

I have attached a simpler show data implementation for your comparison (File with name "OtherSceneCap.*).

Our bug reports 0014007 & 0014120 to chamsys have not been answered.

They may be still hard @ works to fix this issue for the future releases

Regards

Kelly Sen