3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 8:57 PM by techguy

Can I install Linux on a laptop using a seventh gen AMD A12?

lu$er

Greetings, I have recently purchased a new laptop that uses an AMD A12 processor and have recently begun to appreciate and even favor linux over windows (in my opinion, it is more beneficial to me due to job requirements and personal preference)

After reading through other forums the most I could decern was a vague post suggesting that seventh gen AMD and Intel processors would ONLY support Windows 10; any and all help in answering this is greatly appreciated

If indeed senventh gen processors wont support linux a work around or hardware solution would also be greatly appreciated, please share any and all info

• Re: Can I install Linux on a laptop using a seventh gen AMD A12?

Hello there,

What is the 7th generation processors?

The latest and future Intel processors would drop the support of Windows before Windows 10, but you can also run Linux without problems.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

black_zion

Linux has support, Microsoft decided not to add support for post Skylake processors to Windows so they can try to force the 75% of the market not on 10 to go to 10. The problems come in with making sure all components in that laptop are Linux compatible, and for that I would recommend asking on a specialty Linux forum.

techguy

All recent AMD CPUs/APUs are fully Linux compatible and so should be all of the other laptop hardware. You can confirm this with the laptop maker but any model laptop should run Linux without major issues. Laptop makers aren't foolish enough to limit sales to only Windows O/Ss. When necessary AMD provides Linux drivers to support the Linux community. It's a pity none of the commercial Linux distro provide quality technical support for consumer level Linux products, IME.

You can be assured that many more people will be leaving the Windoze platform with Microsoft's extortion approach of not providing a proper patch (yet) for Win 7-8 users to use Zen based products as well as new Qualcomm and 2017 and later released Intel processors. This is guaranteed to cost MS hundreds of millions of sales and many lawsuits. I'll bet money the EU has a surprise for Microsoft's extortion scheme.