4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2016 12:45 AM by nikospot

RX480 normal core voltage?

nikospot

Hello, I was happy owner of an XFX RX480 GTR - 8GB at 1288MHz, but now I am worried because I did something wrong by mistake.

More specifically I would like to ask what voltage should the core have at auto settings with stock clocks and stock bios? Is it ok to reach 1.150V?

The reason I am asking is because I was testing some overclocking in some idiot program (sapphire trixx) and when as I was increasing core clock I was also selecting voltage +50mV and pressing apply. After a while when I brought the trixx program in foreground again, the slider alone had gone at +200mV. The problem is that I didn't noticed that and I first changed clock and pressed apply. I realized it fast so I didn't run any rendering program before I change it again to the right voltage.

But I am worried if I degraded the chip at this voltage and now maybe it needs more voltage to work properly. How can I test if everything is ok and also can I be sure that this will not cause any problem in the future? I am not interested in using the card with OC for daily usage. I was just testing the card for its overclocking abilities and some benchmarking.

Thank you!

PS: Maybe someone with the same card could run a Unigine Valley in Extreme HD settngs so I can see if my card performs the same, because I haven't kept any benchmark in stock clocks before I make this mistake.

• Re: RX480 normal core voltage?
          abi

If memory doesnt fail me, GTRat stock vcore max is 1.060v and on firestrike is ~13400 points @ 1080p.

Yes high voltage can reduce your card life, but I would be more worried with gpu temp. There is people running GTR at 1450mhz with 1.150mv vcore with no problem...

nikospot

Hmmm either you remember something wrong, or I did damage something. Mine at stock, reaches 1.150V (like it is set at state 7 - 1288MHz in wattman at Radeon settings) but the settings in wattman are in automatic! At idle 300MHz it runs at 0.750V.

I will try firestrike to confirm that score. Temp hasn't been more than 74C since I have been playing games, or stressing it and as I said before didn't run any stress when I applied the +200mV. I just reduced it seconds after I realized it. So maybe the core didn't even reached the highest state to maximize the voltage. I can't be sure, that is why I am really worried for my card's future.

So if indeed the +200mV setting was applied the vcore could have reached at 1.350 Would the card BIOS let that happen?

abi

If you didnt stress the card then the card should have runned on idle or in lower stages, which means the vcore didnt reached "1.350v"..Check the review from jayztwocents from xfx gtr, maybe it will help.

This RX 480 DOESN'T SUCK! - YouTube

nikospot

Thanks for the vid, as I see his card out of the box runs not more than 1.100V. Mine runs at 1.150 but I have different driver version. When I go to radeon settings > wattman and underclock it at 1.100V, I run at almost the same voltages as the video and completes firestrike with no problem! But can't get more than 13.165 points.

Pfff.... maybe my card has much lower ASIC quality and runs at higher voltage stock. Or maybe driver version differs in some way.

Also I checked an other guy's video (he was live streaming for more than 2 hours and testing extreme OC on the card), and he run it even at 1.4V! So I do not think that I did manage to damage the card without even stressing it at 1.35. In my case even if that voltage was applied, it would have be a peak for some milliseconds when changing stages.