4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2016 7:02 AM by redfury

Driver quirks and crashes using a KVM

aashe4

I have my work laptop and my home PC connected with a StarTech 2 port dual DVI KVM switch that uses a physical button on the KVM to switch between displays (rather than a keystroke).

When I switch from my laptop to my PC the driver crashes. It recovers and previously had no other symptoms so I simply dealt with it. However, now if I have World of Warcraft open it recovers but WoW (which is in full screen windowed mode) is squished up about 150px and shows the taskbar and desktop underneath. To get it to go back to actual full screen I have to go into WoW's System settings and click on the already-selected Windowed (fullscreen) option, and it resizes to the correct size until I use the KVM again. This happens 100% of the time.

VideoIssue.PNG

Sometimes, when WoW is not even open, it starts doing the same thing and eventually crashes Windows completely. When this happens, both monitors are black and flash as they try to recover. When it flashes on, you can see the same ~150px is blocked off at the bottom. Eventually the top part flashes white and then Windows crashes, citing the display driver as the cause.

To try to fix these issues, I used the AMD clean uninstall program to remove all AMD programs (I only had the Crimson edition suite installed) and rebooted as suggested. I then tested the KVM behavior with the basic Windows graphic driver and the issue did not occur. I then downloaded and installed the minimal setup version of the Crimson drivers instead of the full suite that I had before. As soon as they were installed the switching issue returned.

Event logs aren't too helpful but I do have these during the switch event: System log > Information: A caller specified the SDC_FORCE_MODE_ENUMERATION flag in a call to the SetDisplayConfig() API (this is seen twice)

From the crash: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffff9b874477d010, 0xfffff80404fded90, 0x0000000000000000, 0x000000000000000d).

System info:

Windows 10 Pro x64

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5 GHz

MSI Gaming 970 Gaming

SAPPHIRE DUAL-X Radeon R9 280

Crimson Edition 16.11.4 minimal setup (I've tried 16.9 as well)

Dual DVI to a StarTech Dual DVI KVM to two DVI monitors, both at 1920x1080

Rosewill ARC-M650

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

• Re: Driver quirks and crashes using a KVM
          redfury

"I then tested the KVM behavior with the basic Windows graphic driver and the issue did not occur"- I suppose resolution in that case was much lower than 1080P?And you didn't test WoW?

"When this happens, both monitors are black and flash as they try to recover"- I think we need a picture of your construction.

When you switch to laptop, PC physically loses monitor signal, and it is no good for application running in fullscreen.Try windowed mode or ALT+TAB before switching.

It may be general incompatibility of AMD drivers and your StarTech 2 port dual DVI KVM. And there is nothing to do.Maybe try another KVM switch or try to use only one monitor.

What models of monitors are you using? What mode (Clone mode or Extended mode) is is used on your PC? Maybe AMD eyefinity?

WoW.JPG

aashe4

I have discovered that the gap issue is occurring only when the game is on the monitor marked as Primary. Regardless of which monitor I mark as Primary, if I play the game on that monitor as well the gap occurs after switching back to this computer with the KVM. So I have resolved that issue by switching which monitor is considered Primary to the one I don't use for WoW.

Now all that remains is the ungraceful KVM switch that occasionally causes WoW to move over to the other monitor. When I switch to this PC with the KVM, Windows makes the "Device Disconnect" sound. Sometimes my windows move to the other monitor and sometimes they don't.

redfury

i have used only 1 monitor KVM switches (and not without problems). But your "beast" is beyond my experience

I am glad you are found quite... acceptable solution. Obviously it is not AMD software or hardware issue.

You should contact your KVM manufacturer for further investigation this situation.