I have an Acer Aspire M5811 desktop computer with Windows 7 Home Premium x64. It used to work flawlessly until recently, when Windows started displaying warnings about a SMART event, indicating an imminent HDD failure.
Hence, I replaced the HDD with a newly bought one, reinstalled and successfully activated Windows based upon the OEM product key from the PC casing. I do not have any of the original media supplied when I bought the PC - they surely are *somewhere*, but that was 7 years ago, and we have moved twice since. So, I had to rely on what is available for download on the web. While it basically works, there are a few issues, some of which are related to the graphics card (an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB).
The symptoms are as follows:
- As per the Windows screen resolution settings dialog, the highest supported resolution is 1400 x 1050. According to an overview I had exported from msinfo32 before replacing the hard disk, my former resolution used to be 1920 x 1080.
- When trying to access Radeon Settings from the tray notification area, I am getting the message "Es ist kein AMD-Grafiktreiber installiert, oder der AMD-Treiber funktioniert nicht richtig. Installieren Sie den für Ihre AMD-Hardware geeigneten AMD-Treiber." (in English: "No AMD graphics driver has been installed, or the AMD driver does not work correctly. Install the AMD driver appropriate for your hardware."), and then another message box pops up, saying "Failed to create OpenGL context for format QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags() (...) This is most likely caused by not having the necessary graphic drivers installed. (...)" (text shortened)
- The device manager shows "AMD High Definition Audio Device" and "AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series" with a little warning sign (exclamation mark in yellow triangle), and the description indicates that the digital signature of the drivers cannot be verified (code 52).
I have taken the following steps, trying to install the graphics card and/or fix the above issues:
- I have installed VGA_ATI_8.632.0.0000_W7x86W7x64_A.zip from Acer's driver site for the computer.
- I have installed Catalyst Software Suite 15.7.1 from AMD's website.
- I have installed Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta from AMD's website.
- I have tried using the "Uninstall" option in the devices manager on the graphics card, hoping to remove the unsigned drivers to be able to replace them with signed ones, but the only effect this has had is that "AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series" is now completely gone from the device manager, and Windows only shows a "Standard-VGA-Grafikkarte" (in English: "default VGA graphics card"). When running the installer from the aforementioned driver package from Acer's website, it won't even recognize that there is an ATI graphics card any more (it only suggests installing the Catalyst installation manager, HDMI audio drivers, and MSVC 2005 Redistributable files).
- I checked BIOS settings as described in a forum, but I could not find any setting related to graphics output in my BIOS v02.66.
How can I get my graphics card to work as it used to before my HDD swap?