0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2016 1:52 AM by 1997hawke

AMD Radeon R9 M735 graphics card does not work after installation and restart.

1997hawke

Specifications:

- Lenovo Z51-70 Laptop

- Windows 10 OS (64-bit) (Default)

Processor: Intel Core i7-5500U @ 2.40GHz

- 16GB RAM

- AMD Radeon R9 M735 Graphics Card

Overview:

Ever since November 5th 2016, where some form of update to something on my laptop took place, my AMD card just has not been working. It had been working perfectly fine before however.

To begin with, whenever I loaded up the desktop, I'd keep getting a notification saying that the 'AMD drivers have stopped responding and been recovered' but it would keep flashing every 2 seconds or so before the screen would freeze, a blue restart screen would appear - it would vary between saying that the thread got stuck in the device driver, or something else I don't recall - and then restart. At first, I couldn't figure out what the problem was and it eventually got to the point where after the laptop booted up, I'd just see a black screen prior to the logon screen. After several guess attempts at trying to fix the computer, I ended up having to reset the darn thing and start again.

After reinstalling all my programs, the problem started kicking up again when I reinstalled the AMD drivers, meaning the constant notifications followed by the blue screen and crash. I then figured that it was something to do with the card and so I entered Safe Mode and disabled the drivers in the Device Manager. The computer worked just fine after that. I searched Google for any possible fixes but found none. I then emailed AMD and they replied with several suggestions such as ensuring Windows 10 was up to date, try reinstalling the drivers after using the utility to completely uninstall them and so forth. One thing that did stand out was they mentioned (from reading my dxdiag report) that my laptop apparently had 'customised hardware' though they didn't specify with what. My guess would be the Intel processor, though I'm not sure.

When I went to check if my Windows 10 was fully updated, it was not. It was currently in the base version of Windows 10, when it was first released July 2015, however whenever I tried to update it to the Anniversary Update, 1607, and the most recent, it would always fail no matter what. I noticed too that there were several updates for the AMD drivers as well as an adapter update which I guessed would make it so the computer understands that it can run the graphics card?

With the help of Microsoft Support, I was able to format my hard drive (again) but correctly install the up to date version of Windows 10. This time all of the AMD updates in the Windows 10 update settings section installed just fine except the adapter (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3, Graphics Adapter WDDM2.0 - AMD Radeon(TM) R9 M375). I tried installing the update from a website online but it didn't seem to have any noticeable affect.

When I went to reinstall the drivers again and it said to restart to complete the installation, I was greeted with my old friend the black screen before the login screen. I entered Safe Mode and disabled the drivers in the Device Manager and here I am now!

AMD recommended I get in touch with Lenovo regarding the customised hardware and to see if they have a way to fix it though they have yet to respond to me.

I honestly don't know if the problem lies with the actual AMD Graphics Card within my computer or if it's being caused by something on or lacking in the laptop. I suspect the graphics card is not broken since it was working perfectly fine before November 5th, though I could be wrong. Graphics cards can last for years, I believe, and the laptop isn't even a year old - I got it last Christmas. What are the symptoms of a dead graphics card?

Please send all the help and possible fixes you can since I really need this card back up and running just fine as it was a few weeks ago!

Thanks for any help you can provide.