3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2016 1:59 AM by colesdav

Is there a software program available from AMD to allow Users test GPU memory for errors

colesdav

Hello

Is there a software program available from AMD to allow Users test GPU memory for errors?

Any other recommendations out there?

I just bought a pair of Nano's and I am specifically interested to test the 4GB HBM memory on these cards.

Thanks

colesdav

Background Information.

==================

I have just purchased a pair of R9 Nanos for a thunderbolt egpu project.

One is a PowerColor Nano bought second hand (No Warranty) on Ebay for the same price as a brand new RX480.

The other is a Brand New Gigabyte Nano (3 year Warranty) bought on Amazon in a Black Friday Sale.

I bought two of them because ... I am into Crossfire, OpenCL and MultiGPU  and I wanted to test Crossfire over thunderbolt anyhow.

• Re: Is there a software program available from AMD to allow Users test GPU memory for errors
            colesdav

Thanks!
            I will give them a try and report back.

• Re: Is there a software program available from AMD to allow Users test GPU memory for errors
              colesdav

Hi.

I received my "second hand" PowerColor Nano (No Warranty) from Ebay a couple of days ago and I have started testing it.

I am running Memory Tests using various software in the link above.

I will be giving brief description of using the  Memory Testing software later.

The Nano is a very impressive card indeed.

I have tested the Nano at stock clocks (I will not overclock the card until I check it at standard settings and give feedback to the Ebay Seller that the card is o.k.)
              - It beats my Crossfired and Overclocked to the limit Sapphire HD7970/R9280x in Tom Clancy The Division Benchmark on Ultra.

- It gives comparable 3D Mark Firestrike results, without overclocking the Nano.

- It supports Freesync whereas Freesync is not an option for the Sapphire HD7970/R9280x. I have enabled freesync on the card - will test that later.

( I needed a new monitor recently and I made sure I bought one with AMD Freesync - it is only a low cost entry level 22inch 1080p Viewsonic with AMD Freesync (44Hz-75Hz)).

- It runs Borderlands 2 on 2560x1440p at a much higher Framerate than my Crossfired Sapphire HD7970/R9280x.

- It is a tiny card and fits perfectly within an Akitio Thunder2 Box. The 8pin Power Socket faces the rear of the card and this means I can even supply power to the Nano and run the PCIe power lead out the back of the Akitio and close the Akito Box.

- Power Consumption is much lower than the Crossfired cards.

- The Nano is much quieter than my Crossfire Setup.

- Based on benchmark results it performs better than an RX480.

I bought the Nano because of its small form factor (Akitio eGPU) and also because it outperforms the RX480 based on all the benchmarks I have seen to date.

I know my HD7970/R9280x are old (5/4 generations old) and the Fury is 1 generation old but wow, what an improvement in performance, size, power consumption and feature set.

Anyone out there who is currenty running older cards like I do and is on a limited budget  may want to consider purchasing a second hand R9 Nano.

Memory Testing feedback to follow.