6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2017 12:50 PM by malyngo

Do these monitors really support LFC ?

alawamiaz

Does the samsung C34F791 really support LFC as listed in your freesync page ? it doesn't have the (minimum x2.5 =< max) requirement for LFC. From my understanding of LFC it can be done with only 2.0x just like nvidia does it. BUT..

BUT how can aoc Q3279VWF8 support it if doesn't even have x2.0 of max framerate ?.(48-75Hz).

Anyway.. the main question.. does the samsung C34F791 really support LFC which mean freesync can work below the minimum range ?

• Re: Do these monitors really support LFC ?
          amdmatt

That monitor supports 48-100Hz, so it should be compatible with LFC despite not quite meeting the 2.5 requirement.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              mjanossy

The document at https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf mentions that LFC is "Automatically enabled on all AMD FreeSync™-ready monitors where max refresh is ≥2.5X min. refresh". I guess this led people to assume that the 2.5x rate is required for LFC to be possible.

As the above mentioned monitors don't offer that range but still support LFC, does this mean that LFC can be supported even with a smaller range? If so, then what is the minimum needed? Or can a manufacturer add LFC support regardless of refresh range?

Thanks.

amdmatt

LFC has been uniquely enabled for this monitor because it is very close to the 2.5X requirement. However, as it does not fully meet the requirements, the experience in the 25-32 FPS range may not be as ideal as a monitor with the full 2.5X range.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      malyngo

I just got this monitor, and when enabling "Ultimate Engine" (which from I heard will only enable 48-100Hz. Standard is 80-100Hz only) the experience is really abysmal.

I am really disappointed from Freesync. If a monitor has the Freesync label on it, the experience should be much better. You really don't do yourself a favor here by exposing users to such a bad experience. Cast a bad light on the whole Radeon product family in general.

Really disappointed!

malyngo

Oh! I wasn't quite ready to accept that I have to send back that monitor (which otherwise is really great), so I looked around, and someone was saying "try to enable exclusive Fullscreen instead of borderless".

I tried that, and it totally got rid of the flickering! Tried it in Ultimate, played the game for a few minutes, and where I have seen flickering before, everything was fine.

amdmatt, is this something that is known to you guys at AMD, that the borderless setting can make a huge difference?

malyngo

Another day, and I the flickering is back, even in exclusive fullscreen.

Can I do anything for you to investigate this issue?

This monitor is currently featured in the Vega Radeon packs. And I think it really is bad to use that monitor as a showcase for Freesync, as it stands now.

Everyone will just think Freesync ist something that is unuseable!

There has to be something you or Samsung can do to aleviate this issue, otherwise it is just madness to bundle that monitor with the Vega packs, and you should rather revoke that Freesync label from that monitor!